Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 05:53 AM

80 posts, read 96,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Moving up for engineers is very hard unless you start moving away from the technical expertise and grow management expertise instead. It's a different skillset. Start volunteering for leadership opportunities and project management. Learn those tasks that most engineers hate -- budgeting, procurement, management. Those will make you ready when the next opening occurs.
You're right, I actually started moving away from the very technical role about 6 years ago for that reason. Since then, I've been managing teams to develop and deploy programs nationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the great feedback folks. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to ask for my title to be switched to Director and also tell them that I'm not even looking for a raise? There are several departments who have Directors that report to Sr. Directors, so in terms of how this company's org structure is setup , it's somewhat typical. My argument for that is if we're going to build up a team with the horsepower and firepower the SVP is looking for, then we would need as much leverage as possible to get things done quickly.

Case in point, for the first several months of my employment here, a lot of the VP's and Directors thought that I was a Director because of the way I perform and carry myself; however, once they found out that I was a Sr. Manager, things changed. Some of my emails never got answered, they didn't show up in meetings, etc. Although, there are still some who are very responsive and great to work with.

Should I ask the SVP for the title switch or is this something that I should ask my new boss since he will be directly involved in building this team? From a both a leadership and technical standpoint, my position will be (and has been) the core of what this department will be doing (developing new processes, training, working with Ops. Directors and Plant Managers to change the way their Maintenance and Reliability departments operate, etc.) and the other positions will be solely support / technical.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
sounds like you need to quit and start your own company

Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
Thanks for the great feedback folks. Do you guys think it would be a bad idea to ask for my title to be switched to Director and also tell them that I'm not even looking for a raise? There are several departments who have Directors that report to Sr. Directors, so in terms of how this company's org structure is setup , it's somewhat typical. My argument for that is if we're going to build up a team with the horsepower and firepower the SVP is looking for, then we would need as much leverage as possible to get things done quickly.

Case in point, for the first several months of my employment here, a lot of the VP's and Directors thought that I was a Director because of the way I perform and carry myself; however, once they found out that I was a Sr. Manager, things changed. Some of my emails never got answered, they didn't show up in meetings, etc. Although, there are still some who are very responsive and great to work with.

Should I ask the SVP for the title switch or is this something that I should ask my new boss since he will be directly involved in building this team? From a both a leadership and technical standpoint, my position will be (and has been) the core of what this department will be doing (developing new processes, training, working with Ops. Directors and Plant Managers to change the way their Maintenance and Reliability departments operate, etc.) and the other positions will be solely support / technical.

I do. It's table scraps, and should be beneath you if you prove to be the asset that you seem to think you are. I think a dose of humility is in order. First of all, titles mean nothing. Pay is what is important. Settle down and do your year. Maybe by then there will be an upgrade for you. Honestly, given your field, you should wait 2 years before switching companies. It makes you look focused and reliable.

My suggestions are part of what is referred to as 'paying your dues.' Your impatience and willingness to settle for table scraps will not impress anyone, nor are they assets the title of Director warrant.

Brownbagg has a great idea if you are truly that impatient and don't think you have anything to learn - quit and start your own company.

Last edited by ComeCloser; 11-01-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 02:23 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I do. It's table scraps, and should be beneath you if you prove to be the asset that you seem to think you are. I think a dose of humility is in order. First of all, titles mean nothing. Pay is what is important. Settle down and do your year. Maybe by then there will be an upgrade for you. Honestly, given your field, you should wait 2 years before switching companies. It makes you look focused and reliable.

My suggestions are part of what is referred to as 'paying your dues.' Your impatience and willingness to settle for table scraps will not impress anyone, nor are they assets the title of Director warrant.

Brownbag has a great idea if you are truly that impatient and don't think you have anything to learn - quit and start your own company.
Agree with this. It's as if you are trying to force something on them because they chose another person for the position you wanted. Digging for a consolation prize. Have to score/win something no matter what. If they didn't happen to agree with the title change what would you do with that? Resent it? Don't do that to yourself.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I think you've only been there 9 months, and to your original point, you're a manager with no one to manage as a one man show. That doesn't make you a director.

You were told clearly why you didn't get the role, and also that they value your skillset and expertise. There's no shame in being a strong number 2 as you build your leadership experience. Heck, the vast majority of people will never get that high.

It sounds like your employer knows your interested, knows your skills, and areas needed for improvement. I'd worry about addressing that, and working with the new boss more than what the title is.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:28 PM

Thanks for this advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think you've only been there 9 months, and to your original point, you're a manager with no one to manage as a one man show. That doesn't make you a director.

You were told clearly why you didn't get the role, and also that they value your skillset and expertise. There's no shame in being a strong number 2 as you build your leadership experience. Heck, the vast majority of people will never get that high.

It sounds like your employer knows your interested, knows your skills, and areas needed for improvement. I'd worry about addressing that, and working with the new boss more than what the title is.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 PM

That actually crossed my mind many times but plan to do that when I get closer to retirement as I absolutely love what I'm doing and have a lot more to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
sounds like you need to quit and start your own company

Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Good example of "it doesn't matter who applies. If they have someone in mind for the job, that's who gets the job".
I don't think you're too young. That would be age discrimination, wouldn't it?
I appreciate your humility and appreciation of your current position. Please keep the great attitude. Sounds like they have future plans for this guy and have their eye on you, too. If they jack you around after he leaves I'd be trying to find another job. But for now how for the best and keep building that resume!

Old 05-27-2019, 06:20 PM

So I would like to revive this thread because I just had a very humbling experience. My new boss who took over the position I applied for has actually been a fantastic boss during these past 6 months and with the advice of a person or two from this thread, I opened up my heart (Andy put my ego aside) and learned a few things from him. However, just recently his entire team along with HIS boss has all been layed off.... There were about 40 people in this team and only 3 survived the lay off; including me. And on top of that, they eliminated my position and promoted me to Director of Engineering. God has blessed me and I am so grateful. So, for other reading this thread, sometimes it's just a matter of when and not if.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment