Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:00 AM

9 posts, read 8,471 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a friend who works in recruitment and staffing for a company about the unemployed. I asked him about the quality of the applicants who apply at his company. I was curious about the number of and background of the people who apply for the job openings.

He said anytime they advertise for a job opening at his company they are flooded by applicants. 100s of resumes and tons of online applications. But there is one major trouble with the process. Very few of the applicants have any education, skills, talents, accomplishments or experience in the job being advertised.

For example, they will advertise for an Office Manager and the applicants don't know anything about MS Office or appear to have any computer skills at all. Or they will advertise for an Accountant and 80% of the applicants have no education, training, experience or record of accomplishments in Accounting.

Why do people apply for jobs they have no education or background in? Is this common where you work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,711 posts, read 81,578,903 times
I have hired 5 people here since 2011. The number of applicants has dropped dramatically over that time despite increases in pay (50-70k range) and benefits, but the percentage of applicants who actually me the minimum requirements has dropped even farther. The last one, in May 2018, for example we had 28 applicants, and only invited 4 to be interviewed. Two of those cancelled after getting offers before our interviews. That seems to be the problem now, the really well qualified get snapped up fast, and all have been currently employed. It seems that those left now are mostly unemployed and inexperienced, and that is why we have expanded our (paid) summer intern programs, to help people gain that experience.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:25 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,802,308 times
I only get a little feedback from the hiring processes, but in my field, it's more a matter of most applicants being generally experienced and educated but not having the razor-thin qualifications demanded. Most commonly, it's something like having every foundational and general qualification, but not "three years or more with [program XXX]" that's only been in use three or four years. But then, an awful lot of the hiring in my field is done by snobs who can't imagine anyone worthwhile who doesn't have that one esoteric skill, or idiots who were told that skill is E-Sen-Tial and can't be replaced by someone who, say, has years of experience with parallel tools.

But the overall application process today, I'm sure, means seekers just bomb the whole list and move on, because it costs them nothing and who knows, there might be an opening for a flying horse.

I dunno nothin' about this hot job market, declining applications and being "snapped up." I think it's all fairy tales.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM

48 posts, read 31,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like To Post View Post
I was talking to a friend who works in recruitment and staffing for a company about the unemployed. I asked him about the quality of the applicants who apply at his company. I was curious about the number of and background of the people who apply for the job openings.

He said anytime they advertise for a job opening at his company they are flooded by applicants. 100s of resumes and tons of online applications. But there is one major trouble with the process. Very few of the applicants have any education, skills, talents, accomplishments or experience in the job being advertised.

For example, they will advertise for an Office Manager and the applicants don't know anything about MS Office or appear to have any computer skills at all. Or they will advertise for an Accountant and 80% of the applicants have no education, training, experience or record of accomplishments in Accounting.

Why do people apply for jobs they have no education or background in? Is this common where you work?
Yes, if I dont have relative work experience for 50% of the job function, I dont apply.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:12 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,911,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have hired 5 people here since 2011. The number of applicants has dropped dramatically over that time despite increases in pay (50-70k range) and benefits, but the percentage of applicants who actually me the minimum requirements has dropped even farther. The last one, in May 2018, for example we had 28 applicants, and only invited 4 to be interviewed. Two of those cancelled after getting offers before our interviews. That seems to be the problem now, the really well qualified get snapped up fast, and all have been currently employed. It seems that those left now are mostly unemployed and inexperienced, and that is why we have expanded our (paid) summer intern programs, to help people gain that experience.
The key is to train young people and offer an incentive to stay. How about paying off $5K in student loans if they stay at least 2 years. That's probably cheaper than what you would pay to replace them twice. Time for employers to get creative. Also it's probably a tax deduction if you pay off student loan interest for an employee. Ask your accounting department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I only get a little feedback from the hiring processes, but in my field, it's more a matter of most applicants being generally experienced and educated but not having the razor-thin qualifications demanded. Most commonly, it's something like having every foundational and general qualification, but not "three years or more with [program XXX]" that's only been in use three or four years. But then, an awful lot of the hiring in my field is done by snobs who can't imagine anyone worthwhile who doesn't have that one esoteric skill, or idiots who were told that skill is E-Sen-Tial and can't be replaced by someone who, say, has years of experience with parallel tools.

But the overall application process today, I'm sure, means seekers just bomb the whole list and move on, because it costs them nothing and who knows, there might be an opening for a flying horse.

I dunno nothin' about this hot job market, declining applications and being "snapped up." I think it's all fairy tales.
The whole not honoring experience from a parallel program thing is sheer insanity and stupidity at it's finest. There's Marketo and Salesforce Pardot. Google vs Adobe. There's the Chicago Bulls and Boston Celtics. There's Yankees and the Red Sox. Patriots and the Packers. etc. Is one not going to hire from the other team because they don't know a certain offense or defense? Maybe in Football sometimes, but they'd be a fool in some cases not to revamp the whole system around a super star.

Get talent, get them an employment contract that gives them an out but doesn't leave them high on the hog if they leave early. It's really not that complicated.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:14 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,911,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingToRetire View Post
Yes, if I dont have relative work experience for 50% of the job function, I dont apply.
I only have applied to jobs where I am 95-100% qualified. And when I was looking 2 years ago I still had challenges. Hiring managers not getting budget approval for the position, scoping the position wrong, etc. Just overall shooting themselves in the foot. It's a mess out there. I'm very fortunate to be in the position I have now although the BS is mounting lately. There's not much out there that's better right now.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:16 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,142,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like To Post View Post
...He said anytime they advertise for a job opening at his company they are flooded by applicants. 100s of resumes and tons of online applications. But there is one major trouble with the process. Very few of the applicants have any education, skills, talents, accomplishments or experience in the job being advertised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I've posted on this topic before. We too get plenty of applicants, but only a very small percentage actually meet the basic requirements. Our requirements aren't that extreme -- no five years experience with software that's only two years old or anything like that. Just a solid STEM degree and some sort of leadership and demonstrated initiative.

We've upped our summer internships and will pay of student loans. Heck we'll even pay for graduate school for candidates who agree to work for us.

Like you said, the well qualified get snapped up fast.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:26 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,779,541 times
Even in my darkest hours, I did not apply for jobs that I was not qualified for. It's hard, people get desperate and scared and don't make the most rational decisions.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:19 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,804,557 times
These 3 articles, combined will tell you why you, don't get interviews, and why if interviewed, you don't get the job. If you want the job, you need to pass all of these points.

https://content.wisestep.com/job-application-rejection/

https://www.phlebotomyexaminer.com/j...d-immediately/

https://www.localwise.com/a/292-15-r...-job-candidate

Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM

35,167 posts, read 31,475,700 times
Not formally educated. I straddle finance, supply chain, and IT. I'm an economics major. It hasn't mattered in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment