Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
There you are again in defense mode. How about they LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Some people are sick of the double standards between management and employees.
So telling the truth and providing info for people who may not understand what executives/department heads actually do is defensive now?

What you repeatedly fail to understand us that people in the senior managerial ranks have a fundamentally different job from you. Expecting them to do your job means that they will be unable to do their jobs.

For instance, I have a meeting next week with the mayor of the city. That isn’t anything I can delegate to my reports, and it will mean that I won’t be in at my normal time. What is your advice? Should I refuse to meet with the mayor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 02:12 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
I'm often 10-15 minutes late. Not only do I have one of the longer commutes (over an hour), but I am generally answering emails for an hour before I leave for work, rarely take a lunch break, and work nights and weekends because the nature of my job is 24/7 (managing social media). If there's a crisis at 3AM, guess who gets the phone call?

My boss agrees that since I'm contracted to work 35 hours but even in the best of circumstances have to work at least 45-50 (and upwards of 80 if we're in some kind of PR crisis) then no one misses those first 15 minutes before I walk in the door.

But I wouldn't do it without clearing it with my management first.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:18 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Silly you, the solution is to head out early, before that task arrives on your desk.
Ah, if only that were true. Unfortunately in the boss's mind he only remembers that you weren't there when he needed you come annual evaluation time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
...As for finding me, my admin asst has full access to my calendar, and all of my direct reports have my cell number.
In fairness many people no longer have admins who can see the calendar and track down the boss.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:21 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
There are jobs in which the employees may need flexibility to do their job. The salesman who meets his customer for breakfast on the way to work, theoretically started work an hour early, even though he isn’t there.
Same as if he had a dinner meeting the night before, so really has banked 2 hours the next day.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
In fairness many people no longer have admins who can see the calendar and track down the boss.
Very true. Which is why my direct reports also have my cell number, and we review schedules and tasks on a regular basis so that everybody is aware of what projects are being worked on.

There are many ways to communicate, I tend to use multiple methods so that everybody is aware of what is going on. My point is that being at my desk at 8:00am sharp probably happens 75% of the time, but the other 25% doesn't mean that I am late, it simply means that I am doing something else work related not tied to a physical location.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:28 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
My supervisor said this during a recent staff meeting where time and attendance was discussed. Do you agree or disagree with that? Late meaning late to start work. Over 10 minutes past scheduled start time.
At a job I held for several years, it was routine for me to put in 30 to 60 minutes, off the clock, at the end of the day, to run out to various clients and deal with last-minute issues. But I dared not be even one minute late, punching the time-clock in the morning. A supervisor even said, that the clock needed to always be punched at least two minutes early, to show an eagerness to serve the company.

This company, which produced the No. 1 media in town, paid starvation wages, gave no benefits or bonuses and if you took vacation time, no one did your work and you had to spend a week after hours, catching up with it. They considered that their employees should be glad to do these things, for the prestige of working for them.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:12 PM

605 posts, read 335,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
My supervisor said this during a recent staff meeting where time and attendance was discussed. Do you agree or disagree with that? Late meaning late to start work. Over 10 minutes past scheduled start time.
It doesn't mean they are late then. They are allowed to show up a little later than others due to their service. That's fine

Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Yes.

A lot of jobs start time doesn't really matter. Last salaried position I had work started at 8:00, which was on paper when we were supposed to be there. I routinely showed up at 10 or 11. A lot of us flexed and worked remotely. Management didn't care. They cared about results. Unless you had a meeting to attend, you could show up whenever, leave whenever. It was pretty high stress but punching in on time wasn't a factor in that.

Other jobs it does matter. In my position now it doesn't work at all. I'm really just a cog, but no cog means nothing gets done and everyone sits around impatiently waiting. The cogs all need to be in place for anything to get done so punctuality matters.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:18 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
I think its comical that people are referring to 10 minutes as "late". In my book being late is well over an hour, 10 minutes is noise even if you have to open. Unless its some kind of life or death situation where you have to be there (like a sniper I suppose) then its really just power tripping.

Also if im in sales doing that well I will want more money AND the ability to be late. I would not last long at such rigid jobs because I know that at the heart of the issue is a power trip because of the negative leverage situation that employees are in right now and not because of some critical life or death situation like an ambulance driver.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:21 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
At a job I held for several years, it was routine for me to put in 30 to 60 minutes, off the clock, at the end of the day, to run out to various clients and deal with last-minute issues. But I dared not be even one minute late, punching the time-clock in the morning. A supervisor even said, that the clock needed to always be punched at least two minutes early, to show an eagerness to serve the company.

This company, which produced the No. 1 media in town, paid starvation wages, gave no benefits or bonuses and if you took vacation time, no one did your work and you had to spend a week after hours, catching up with it. They considered that their employees should be glad to do these things, for the prestige of working for them.
How did they get people to care or even show up at all. I would think the turn around, no call no shows would be through the roof? Why would you care about the job, better to die on your feet than live on your knees. I would plot a way to ruin the boss life in a legal manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment