Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:36 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,236,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I love this twisted perspective. Truth is, I understand that employers aren't sh*t.
I have never seen you say anything bad about any employer.

Quote:
Because I know this, I don't have anything to fight. Why get angry at reality? It is what it is. I go in, make my money and go home.
Of course, you lucked out and have nothing to say against the employers. However, you have plenty to say about the how horrible job candidates are.

Quote:
It's not worth my time or mental/emotional energy to engage in a daily barrage of complaining.
But you do that every day, railing against anyone who dares to object at the ridiculousness that many employers are doing.

So you really don't believe what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
But you do that every day, railing against anyone who dares to object at the ridiculousness that many employers are doing.

So you really don't believe what you are saying.
Sir, enjoy your life. Bye.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,971,179 times
Yup some of us old heads remember the days of applying for a job and asked if we could
start immediately.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,558,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Yup some of us old heads remember the days of applying for a job and asked if we could
start immediately.
This is still common...

What I want to know is why it seems like the same handful of people on CD always draw the short straw... Even if half the employers are bad, they would have a good job the other half the time seeing how often they switch jobs. But they always find something to complain about, it's the same people here year after year. You'd think they take their problems with them to each new job.

Sure a few companies suck, but most of them are decent enough to work for, at least enough to stay 5-10 years, but no... People here seem to jump as soon as they can and claim "better" pay. Well the companies are providing that "better" pay in lue of benefits because job seekers want that these days. They want things they can take between employers. 401k instead of pension, higher salary instead of benefits, etc. Since they plan on being there short term, they don't want long term benefits anymore. Vacation days? They take vacation between jobs...

Look at the people who say job hop for a 10% "raise", but they seem to think they would stick with a federal job with a 1-2% inflation raise? They would job hop as soon as someone offered them an extra 1-2%, might as well for as a contractor.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:23 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
This is still common...

What I want to know is why it seems like the same handful of people on CD always draw the short straw... Even if half the employers are bad, they would have a good job the other half the time seeing how often they switch jobs. But they always find something to complain about, it's the same people here year after year. You'd think they take their problems with them to each new job.

Sure a few companies suck, but most of them are decent enough to work for, at least enough to stay 5-10 years, but no... People here seem to jump as soon as they can and claim "better" pay. Well the companies are providing that "better" pay in lue of benefits because job seekers want that these days. They want things they can take between employers. 401k instead of pension, higher salary instead of benefits, etc. Since they plan on being there short term, they don't want long term benefits anymore. Vacation days? They take vacation between jobs...

Look at the people who say job hop for a 10% "raise", but they seem to think they would stick with a federal job with a 1-2% inflation raise? They would job hop as soon as someone offered them an extra 1-2%, might as well for as a contractor.
At least for now fed govt jobs are different, the job security makes up for a certain measure of pay differential. Of course if I was making 35k a year at a fed job and got a 6 figure job I would go, but I might require a 2 year contract or longer to do it because the security has value

Old 11-25-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
This is still common...
Maybe common in 1958, but not in 2018. Only common in Mcjobs and sales jobs.

Quote:
People here seem to jump as soon as they can and claim "better" pay.
And there are those who don't jump and then get laid off, the next time the CEO's bonus check went down.

For every person who jumped ship, there was at least one or two who got the royal screw job for sticking around when they got laid off.

Quote:
Well the companies are providing that "better" pay in lue of benefits because job seekers want that these days.
There are job seekers who seek out more security in their job. They get ignored.

Quote:
I'll jump for the Federal job. Working 15 years as a contractor, not knowing when I'll be able to pay my bills (regardless how good my performance is), screw that. I'll take the lower raise over zero or negative raises given to contractors any day.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
At least for now fed govt jobs are different, the job security makes up for a certain measure of pay differential. Of course if I was making 35k a year at a fed job and got a 6 figure job I would go, but I might require a 2 year contract or longer to do it because the security has value
Unless the contract has a serious penalty clause (i.e. fire me and you gotta pay 2 years salary anyway), contracts can be terminated anytime they want for any reason.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,126,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Unless the contract has a serious penalty clause (i.e. fire me and you gotta pay 2 years salary anyway), contracts can be terminated anytime they want for any reason.
Yes, I would require a highly favorable contact and likely an upfront high 6 figure payment to leave a govt job. An upfront payment of say 200k will make it unlikely they will fire you because they now have a 200k sunk cost. No money no move.

The issue in our society is that there will always be some other schelp that claims he/she can do the same job and offer themselves up at some low ball rate. Even though they cant really do the job or may need extensive training. But employers, seething over the fact I would ask for that much up front because I distrust them, will go with anyone else no matter how ill qualified.

As long as these schelps exist there will always be issues.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:07 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,313,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
In the past, you could be a former felon who had been out of work for two years after being out of jail, yet, if you could demonstrate your competence, you'd get hired.

Now, they want to know about:

1.) Your gaps
2.) Your references (even for some low-level jobs!)
3.) Your credit history
4.) Your criminal history (even getting a felony for shooting an endangered animal in college could hurt you at age 50)
5.) Your social security number (sometimes)
6.) Your salary range (but they don't have to provide theirs!)
7.) Your last job's pay (But they don't have to tell you what they paid the last guy before you!)
8.) Your race, gender, etc (though some of that is thanks to stupid government regulations)
9.) Your social media history (which they look up, even if they don't ask for it, though I've heard some actually DO ask for it outright.)

And some will yammer that it's their right to do that as the boss and if you don't like it, look elsewhere, but I must ask, if they didn't need all of these things in the past to make good hires and the economy didn't collapse to the level of anarchy without them, then suddenly why is it "the price of getting a job" to go through all of this crap? What made it suddenly necessary?

Have things changed or are employers just turning into spying, judgmental, nitpicking little Nazis?
Unfortunately it's another symptom of the sickness that is this country. With technological advances -- life should be getting easier, not harder. The work week ought to be shrinking down from 40 hours towards a lower number, and job hunting ought to be getting easier. But these things aren't happening.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,068,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yes, I would require a highly favorable contact and likely an upfront high 6 figure payment to leave a govt job. An upfront payment of say 200k will make it unlikely they will fire you because they now have a 200k sunk cost. No money no move.

The issue in our society is that there will always be some other schelp that claims he/she can do the same job and offer themselves up at some low ball rate. Even though they cant really do the job or may need extensive training. But employers, seething over the fact I would ask for that much up front because I distrust them, will go with anyone else no matter how ill qualified.

As long as these schelps exist there will always be issues.
How is all of that working out for you? You keep stating your demands, such as a minimum of $140k if the job is perfect, $400k if things aren’t done they way you want, and $200k to sign a contract. Are you getting any of these things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment