Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:49 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I disagree with you. Nothing needs to change. We obviously disagree. I don't need a government agency to help me earn what I'm worth. I can do that on my own. When I don't like a job, I put effort in to find a better one. Me paying more in taxes for government to offer me "protection" isn't helping the worker. It's wasting my tax money.

There is no question that we disagree. When a company hires an individual and decides to keep him or her, they acquire an asset. Using that asset optimally may require that individual to work fifty hours of week or more. Paying that person time and a half for time worked over forty hours generates tax revenue. How is it a net loss tax wise. Do the math.

Quote:
No one forces anyone to take a salaried job without overtime. If you feel this strongly about it, don't take jobs that don't pay overtime. Nothing needs to change. The only protection from being laid off a person needs is being good at what they do.

Your first sentence is true. I counter that by saying that some industries are labor intensive. When free overtime is demanded, there should be something given in return. Job security is an empty promise. Some are referred to as key employees. Being a key employee was no comfort in 2008 when entire departments and companies went out of existence or got moved to India. The only way that being good at what you do is important is if there is a rough correlation between time put in and revenue produced.

Once again I am retired. I receive no pay for my analysis and conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I'm salary and I love it. Sure there are some days where I have to work late and/or at home but the advantages outweigh this. I can take off for a long lunch, I can run errands, I can come in late, I can come in early. I'm not monitored closely for my time in the office, I'm just paid to get the work done. In the end I probably average 35 hours per week and get paid my salary the same every 2 weeks no matter what. Some people who do the exactly same job as me probably work an average of 45 hours or more because they aren't efficient or good at time management.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Many of you are critical of my core beliefs about being paid for overtime. If you love what you do, you may want to work eighty hours a week. In fact, if you love what you do, it's a very healthy thing. That's ok with me, but most of the time work is repetitive drudgery and for those people stretching the workday out to ten hours is torture leading to poor health and depression.

I speak for those who work in sweat shops and are called administrative or professional. I seek to bring justice for those who deserve a better deal.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
What if you're happy with the deal you have. What is this going to do for me?

For you it will enhance the probability that Social Security will be there for you. Every dollar that you earn up to 128K (or more now) also has a portion of it taken out for SS. Your boss is obliged to kick in and additional 6.2% also enhancing the effect.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The managerial deal often impacts low level managers in retail, food service, etc. They will often have to split time between "manager" hours worked and "nonmanagement" hours.

They are either designated as managers or not. Corporations will almost always use a title to gyp you out of what is fair, if they can get away with it.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, if your employer is taking advantage of you, legally or not, it's time to find a new one. I have been exempt for 9 years at this job, 17 years the one before, and have never worked more than 40 hours except for a rare major project requiring a few extra hours during conversion. My first exempt supervisory
job was about $24,000 - in 1979.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Couldn't agree more. My last company was taking advantage of me being salary. I expressed the issue of the work-load multiple times, but nothing was being done. So, I got an offer elsewhere and kicked them to the curb. Now I'm at a job where the most I'll work is 45 hours in a "rougher" week.

Congratulations to both of you. You have managed to find the holy grail of salaried jobs. Hold onto those jobs like the gold that they are.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:27 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
I disagree with you. Nothing needs to change. We obviously disagree. I don't need a government agency to help me earn what I'm worth. I can do that on my own. When I don't like a job, I put effort in to find a better one. Me paying more in taxes for government to offer me "protection" isn't helping the worker. It's wasting my tax money.

No one forces anyone to take a salaried job without overtime. If you feel this strongly about it, don't take jobs that don't pay overtime. Nothing needs to change. The only protection from being laid off a person needs is being good at what they do.
If there were 0 government regulations, all jobs would have the same crappy rules that would only benefit the employer. People would be forced to work 60 or 70 hours a week without any extra compensation. This is not a good thing because the job market would be a monopoly and most regular people depressed.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
We are talking about denying people overtime when their pay exceeds $11.38 an hour. If you don't get the problem with that, you never will.

Get some job skills and take some responsibility at work.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:06 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Most salaried positions in companies (especially middle management) are nothing but sweatshop abuse. Those positions shouldn’t be accepted unless it’s a jump directly to upper management where the pay and perks are greater and the responsibility is less. Where you can find scapegoats and let the crap roll downhill and throw others under the bus because of your own failures. Middle management is the crap sandwich I call it. You get crap from both sides. Your rank and file and upper management.

Upper management is usually less prone to being fired and laid off as well. If you fail at your job they will just transfer you somewhere else in a cushy job. I’ve seen this countless times. Those who have a tougher time avoiding the axe are middle management and the rank and file

Old 12-06-2018, 09:46 AM

17,178 posts, read 15,382,471 times
I'm salaried, and I like it.
No timeclock, for one.
No one staring at a watch to make sure I'm in a chair from 8AM to 5PM sharp.

You're given assignments, you get them done. Need Thursday afternoon off? Work extra the days prior to get your stuff done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment