Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:43 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I don't plan to rush and accept anything because I know it takes time to find a good job.
You better start your job search yesterday. You're currently employed so you have the advantage of being a "passive candidate" - employers discriminate against those who are currently unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
The five year grant expired and the state choose another agency to provide state childcare
Ok, something isn't clicking. Are you an actual state government employee or an employee of a contractor? This is actually a critical difference in how the layoff will be handled. Naturally there is not a single answer between Federal and all the state laws, but generally there is a different set of rules that apply to government employees during layoffs than to contractors.

If you are a contractor, you need to be clear on what happened. When you said the state chose another agency, is that a contractor? Often when contractors are changed current employees get right of first refusal to move to the new contractor. If it is a state agency, will it be hiring to take on the new workload?

There's a lot of unknowns here and those affect what you need to plan for.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:53 AM

9,982 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Usually when I saw donuts in the conference room before a staff meeting it wasn't anything bad. So the donuts kind of threw everyone a curve ball after hearing the agency is closing. The people who did get donuts was just holding it in their hand still in shock about the news.
Look, nobody wants to hear that their job is going away. But I don't understand the focus on your being given donuts and coffee during one the cushiest layoff notices in the history of employment. Would you have preferred to have been empty-handed? Would it have made a difference either way?

The last time I was cut from my job I was given exactly 15 minutes notice with zero severance. The time before that I was given negative 6 weeks notice -- which is to say, they owed me that much back pay that I recovered only 20% of in a bankruptcy settlement. So at the risk of sounding harsh... cry me a frecking river about your donut-infused termination with a 7-month heads-up.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:34 AM

715 posts, read 1,074,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Look, nobody wants to hear that their job is going away. But I don't understand the focus on your being given donuts and coffee during one the cushiest layoff notices in the history of employment. Would you have preferred to have been empty-handed? Would it have made a difference either way?

The last time I was cut from my job I was given exactly 15 minutes notice with zero severance. The time before that I was given negative 6 weeks notice -- which is to say, they owed me that much back pay that I recovered only 20% of in a bankruptcy settlement. So at the risk of sounding harsh... cry me a frecking river about your donut-infused termination with a 7-month heads-up.
I’m not understanding being stuck on the donuts either. I didn’t go into this before, but when my husband was let go in a first round of layoffs, he had no warning whatsoever. I remember coming home from an errand and he was sitting at the breakfast room table. I asked why he was home so early and when he told me he was “sent home”, I thought he was joking. Thought he left early because it was MLK holiday and I was off, but he had to work. When he finally got me to understand that he was actually laid off, I still couldn’t believe it. “No warning? Nothing?” He said nope. Blindsided doesn’t cover it. It took him over a year and a half to find his current job and we dealt with the fallout for some time after, including losing our home in foreclosure.

A seven-month notice would have made a LOT of difference for us.

Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
But what was the purpose of providing donuts and coffee? I mean who can eat breakfast after hearing that type of news? And next week is the Christmas party which will probably not have many employees attending after today's meeting. I guess the positive of all this is I get to save money for next 7 months but you are just never ready to hear your job is ending. Why not tell us this after Christmas?
You know what you have to do, just like you said - 7 months to save and look for other employment. Or, you could wait, get furloughed (or whatever they call this) and collect unemployment. I'd look for another job. And they probably wanted to tell you right away so you could plan ahead.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:04 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

While seven months in advance is a generous warning lets remember that the WARN act requires advance notice in a plant closing of this size. Let's not confuse advance notice with altruism.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-10-2018 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
It's not a plant. Sounds like a social service agency.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:11 AM

34,062 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
While seven months in advance is a generous warning lets remember that the WARN act requires advance notice in a plant closing of this size. Let's not confuse advance notice with altruism.

It requires 60 days.

OP got 150 more days notice.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

I just didn't see a need for breakfast because after the news no one was in the mood to eat anything. And yes it's 7 months but you know how fast time flies when trying to find a job. Plus it will still be hard going to work everyday knowing that it's coming to an end. I remember years ago we were informed in February about our position being eliminated in June so yes this is the most advanced notice I have ever experience when it comes to layoffs.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
You know what you have to do, just like you said - 7 months to save and look for other employment. Or, you could wait, get furloughed (or whatever they call this) and collect unemployment. I'd look for another job. And they probably wanted to tell you right away so you could plan ahead.
I have started letting former coworkers know about the news in a relaxed way because people are more willing to help you when you don't seem bothered by being laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment