Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
WARN Act covers any employer with 100 employees or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker...on_Act_of_1988
Due to plant closings or sale of business. It also only require 60 days notice. Given OP was told seven months in advance, they are obviously looking out for their employees, not just fulfilling the minimum legal requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 08:55 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times
This happened to me and I left early for a lower paying job elsewhere. I always have felt that it is easier to find a job when I have a job. I figured I would have employment, although less money, yet I could still keep looking for a job elsewhere if I wanted to. Also, you don't have voids in your work history when you were not employed. Looks better on your resume. Your are a more desirable candidate when interviewing when you are currently employed. When one door closes, many can open and I think this is very true. Job loss is usually viewed in a negative light, but it can often open many new doors and connections for career advancement that most people would not anticipate. Your in luck, the job market is exceptional currently and you can probably get a job elsewhere tomorrow if you want to.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:49 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
But what was the purpose of providing donuts and coffee? I mean who can eat breakfast after hearing that type of news? And next week is the Christmas party which will probably not have many employees attending after today's meeting. I guess the positive of all this is I get to save money for next 7 months but you are just never ready to hear your job is ending. Why not tell us this after Christmas?
Companies do this before Christmas for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is to help you not go into debt buying expensive gifts when they know you’re going to need the money. Would you rather find out after you spent big money of stuff?
Still, there is no good time to hear such news. Here’s hoping you find a great job before the layoff.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
At least one of you have said that warning employees of a coming plant closing so far in advance is an act of kindness that didn't have to happen. By today's standards that may be true, but I need to mention that during the Depression Ma Bell (the phone company) laid off no one and cut everyone back to three days a week. That's the difference between then and now.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
At least one of you have said that warning employees of a coming plant closing so far in advance is an act of kindness that didn't have to happen. By today's standards that may be true, but I need to mention that during the Depression Ma Bell (the phone company) laid off no one and cut everyone back to three days a week. That's the difference between then and now.
How would you apply that to the OP's situation? The organization lost the grant supporting their work. They will have no money coming in next July, should they pay everybody for 3 days of no work, with no revenue?

The depression was also a different era, with different standards. If my company told me that I was being cut back to 3 days a week now, I would be looking for a new, full-time job immediately, and I would be able to find one in reasonable time. That alternative did not exist during the depression.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 AM

56 posts, read 40,416 times
I'd spend everyday looking for the next job. Why wait? You primary job now is to find your next one. Most companies would never give you that much notice. Also, remember that they may start cutting people much sooner.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
I'd spend everyday looking for the next job. Why wait? You primary job now is to find your next one. Most companies would never give you that much notice. Also, remember that they may start cutting people much sooner.
While I agree with your advice to start looking now, the risk that they will start cutting much sooner is remote.

OP is in a grant funded position contracted to perform certain services. The money exists, and the need exists, until June. It serves nobody's purpose to start laying people off sooner, and might put OP's company in a breach of contract situation.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Quote:
I agree with the advice to start looking sooner rather than later. Kind of stinks to find out during the holidays you're going to lose your job, but at least you have a little bit of time to find a new one. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2018, 10:05 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Yes that was nice of them to let us know with 7 months left in the contract. Everyone knew that this was the last year of the current contract but we didn't expect to find out this early that we would not be renewed. I was expecting to hear something in 2019 not three week before Christmas.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:30 AM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Losing your job at any time is always upsetting and anxiety-inducing, but it's especially depressing at the holidays. I don't know that there is any right or wrong way to go about the announcement, but I believe that the kindest thing is to give people the benefit of as much notice as possible. In the cases where the announcement is delayed, rumors leak out and that just adds to the stress - and the anger that the company or business hasn't been transparent or honest with you.

Not that it helps, but I don't know a single person who hasn't been impacted by a job loss during their years of working. When my large employer went through a major restructure in 2000, they made the announcement simultaneously in every office. Rumors had gotten out, so it was very tense - and my office was given 9 months notice. Once I got over the sadness (I'd been there 20+ years), I started to send out resumes and I used the person restructuring to my advantage. In my cover letters, I noted why I was seeking a position and that it gave me the advantage of being able to provide references from my current position. The person who made one of the offers I received (and the one I accepted) mentioned that during my interview. I ultimately left there 2.5 years later and was lucky enough to be rehired when my former company restructured again. Over the next 13 years, I survived countless RIF's and ultimately left after 36 years after being recruited by a competitor, where I plan to remain until I retire - if I can, as we all know nothing is guaranteed!!

I'm really sorry you're losing your job and wish you all the best in finding a new one. My mother always said it's easier to find a job if you have a job, so - for what it's worth - I recommend starting to look ASAP. While I don't recommend "settling", I do think it would be wise to accept a reasonable job offer and if you don't think it's "the one" once you've started, you can always keep looking from a position off security. I know a lot of people who wound up lengthening their job search by turning everything down that didn't fit their dream job and ultimately being forced to accept something that was the lesser of some of the earlier offers, simply out of financial necessity. Best of luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment