Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:35 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

Are people smiling?
For myself, the attitude of the people who greet you, take you to the interview room, and the interviewer(s) themselves speaks volumes about the organization for whom you might work. Their 'style' usually (not always) forewarns about the atmosphere of the work place itself. Of course, it's also been my experience that the interviewers can be a mixed bag. You know, some management folks are just not that personable. I keep an open mind. When it is my turn to ask questions, I actually DO ask questions, and they are tailored to the organization. You'd be surprised by how surprised THEY are when you have a bunch of questions to ask them.
I agree, too, the condition of the work environment is important. Clean, tidy, warm, semi-comfortable Would I want to work there and with these people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
It's pretty interesting to just nose around the potential work place and talk to people who work their. You can really get a feel for a place by interacting with current employees. My main question is: do they like their job, co-workers and managers? Also do they know what the purpose of the facility is? Amazingly, some people only know their specific job, they have no vision about the larger picture.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Honest answers? OP, why presume one has to give honest answers?
Other than specific questions about skill and experience.....you could likely tell tall tales all you want and they'd never know.

The last three interviews I had, almost all questions were:
-- Tell me about a time when....? (you could make up an example, and they'd never know)
-- What would you do if.....? (you could tell them what they want to hear, even if it's not really what you'd do.)
-- What's your proudest business and personal accomplishment..." (just pick something impressive)
-- How did you handle it when...?
-- What's your biggest business and personal disappointment...? (pick something innocuous, but not too innocuous)
-- Do you like work alone or in a team....?
You get the idea.

Nothing specifically related to can you actually DO -- or have you actually done -- this or that.
I know engineers and IT folks have said they don't get those kinds of interviews. But I think that most interviews today are the personality type. Which may be fine with most folks, because they can just make stuff up to get the job. (which is the goal, after all)

As for what to look for on interview day, I'd say sure cleanliness, but also try to pick up a "vibe/atmosphere/intangible energy" from the place. Is someone who works there, when you're introduced and the boss or HR person is standing there, really going to say, "this place is hell and sucking our souls dry, run like the wind?" Of course not.

If you're desperate for the job, you may end up having to accept an offer you don't even want anyway.
If you HAVE a job, and don't need this one, then you can afford to be more pointed in what you really want to know. Even then -- depending on whether you mind if more of your time is wasted -- I might hold off on what I call "nitty-gritty" rubber-meets-the-road-questions until you have an offer and are negotiating -- when you know they want YOU.

As for questions about expansion and management style....sure you gotta ask. But just remember interviewers lie. So sometimes in the end you're weighing what you think is true vs. what you don't believe.
Those stupid BS questions are a red flag for me. If you are going to waste my time asking me dumbass, straight from an HR manual, BS questions that people are going to lie and blow smoke up your ass anyway, rather than asking job related questions and discussing the position, I am pretty much out unless you make one hell of an offer. I cannot describe how irritating it is to be asked those stupid "what is your greatest accomplishment?", "where do you see yourself in 10 years?", type of questions. I had an interview once and the moron manager interviewing me opened with those questions and I know my face turned red and I probably had an immediate scowl face reaction because I could tell by the look on his face that he knew I was mad. I pretty much just checked out from the conversation and went through the motions from there. Needless to say, I didn't get an offer....as if I would have accepted one anyway if that dip**** was going to be my boss.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
I have zero-patience with any prospective-employer (or interviewer) who spends more time digging for whatever's going on in my heart & soul, rather than focusing instead on what I can (or cannot) actually DO for them.

I don't need you 'in' my head...that's PRIVATE PROPERTY, and quite frankly even AFTER I sign my name on the W-2, it's really NONE of your business to know what I'm thinking, or why.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:58 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Those stupid BS questions are a red flag for me. If you are going to waste my time asking me dumbass, straight from an HR manual, BS questions that people are going to lie and blow smoke up your ass anyway, rather than asking job related questions and discussing the position, I am pretty much out unless you make one hell of an offer.
Some things still do come out of left field, though. The worst interview question I've ever been asked was, "If you could sing one song on American Idol, which song would it be?" Although second place certainly goes to, "If you could be any type of candy bar, which one would you be?" For those, I just answer honestly. No need to waste time on the stupid stuff!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Some things still do come out of left field, though. The worst interview question I've ever been asked was, "If you could sing one song on American Idol, which song would it be?" Although second place certainly goes to, "If you could be any type of candy bar, which one would you be?" For those, I just answer honestly. No need to waste time on the stupid stuff!

Wow! Those are great questions! I wish I was still a manager.....

I would want to sing "My dingaling" by Chuck berry.

I want to be Skittles! Their great but a little scattered, just like me!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I will start it off.
1. People in the lunch room at 12:15 PM
2. Older people in the lunch room who are not in thousand dollar suits.
For larger companies, you would never see any of this. They hold interviews in conference rooms which is part of HR and you don't get to see the work environment or the company cafeteria.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
"If you could sing one song on American Idol, which song would it be?" Although second place certainly goes to, "If you could be any type of candy bar, which one would you be?"
I pray to G-d I never get those questions. I honestly don't think I'd be able to hide my disgust.

After a very, very, VERY long pause to collect myself. I'd say, " As a professional in my field for more than 35 years, I can certainly say I've never been asked those questions." Another looooong pause (as I debated telling the interviewer what I really thought. It would take me a minute to talk myself back from that ledge.)

Then I'd just say what the first song and candy bar that popped into my head, and try to give the best reasons I could.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:41 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I pray to G-d I never get those questions. I honestly don't think I'd be able to hide my disgust.

After a very, very, VERY long pause to collect myself. I'd say, " As a professional in my field for more than 35 years, I can certainly say I've never been asked those questions."
It's a test of how flexible you are and if you have an imagination. A stuffy indignant answer like that tells them all they need to know about you or if anyone is going to enjoy working with you.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
It's a test of how flexible you are and if you have an imagination. A stuffy indignant answer like that tells them all they need to know about you or if anyone is going to enjoy working with you.
No it doesn't test that or anything else. All it does is allow the interviewer to think he's being clever and says more about him than the person being interviewed. What if I answered "The Pledge of Allegiance" vs "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy?" What does that answer tell them? Or how about "I can't sing." If you aren't hiring me to sing then its irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment