Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:41 AM

827 posts, read 659,345 times

Advertisements

The biggest mistake I made was taking the job, And the best thing I did was told them to take their job and stick it where the sun don't shine and walked out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,904 times
I told the president of the company “No” when he asked me a direct question about a project I was working on. The project had fallen behind and he asked if I had a makeup schedule to get the project back on track. I thought for a second and told him the truth. Within a few months I had been reassigned.
An interesting side note about this is that in this meeting not one of my peers or superiors came to my defense, but all of them sat there and let me incurr the full wrath of the president. Such is life in management!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 PM

127 posts, read 95,103 times
Early on, I made the mistake of thinking some co-workers were actual friends as we and our families socialized together quite a bit. The reality is you can be friendly, but not friends, because most folks will stab you in the back and/or throw you under the bus if given the chance to make themselves look better.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Sometimes I forget I just work here... that if the higher ups have money to waste I should simply keep quiet..

25 years we were a small community medical facility that is now part of a large 100,000 employee organization...

Contract Admin was a big part of my previous job... now, it is all done at the corp level... but 25 years of penny pinching is hard to turn off.

Speaking of turning off... one simple change adds a 100k to the bottom line expense... such as running HVAC 24/7 where for 25 years it was controlled by an energy management program with optimal start/stop depending on environmental conditions...

Old 12-14-2018, 08:33 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Too many to count, but they've all been small mistakes, like mistakes on forms and calculation mistakes that have been caught before the project goes out the door.

With the amount of work that has to be done in timeframes at most corporate workplaces to try and maximize revenues it is IMPOSSIBLE not to make mistakes.
This. We've all heard the saying "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you find time to do it over?" haven't we? What I've discovered over the years is there is always time to do it over. Management wants things RIGHT NOW, regardless of quality. But once there panic for RIGHT NOW is satisfied, it goes on their desk to be ignored for a while and maybe never looked at again. If they do look at it, they may ask a specific question that you can then find the answer for when they ask.

I and most of my coworkers (all scientists and engineers) had a very hard time adjusting to that mindset. We like to do things right. Which also means a lot of answers are approximations, based on the amount of time to answer the question. Management on the other hand sees answers as perfect and concrete. Our answer to some question may be "10 plus/minus 2," given the amount of analysis that went in. Management hears 10 and then has a hissy fit when the real answer comes in 10.09. I've learned that since they are going to have the same reaction no matter what I say, I just give them a quick answer and then adjust later if they ask. It's easier to listen to one hissy fit rather than two or three about why it's taking so long to get an answer and they still won't like it anyway.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:03 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times
I was temping for a government contractor back in the 1990s who was sending out a Request for Proposal ("RFP") to about a dozen companies for a $50-60M project. I was given the list of companies and told to fax the RFP to each one. I promptly made a fax cover sheet and sent out the fax. Unfortunately, I was not told that I needed to fax each company individually so as to keep them from knowing who we were contacting - I put all the companies on one cover sheet and did a fax blast.

When I handed the fax confirmation sheet to my boss, she was horrified to see all of the companies listed on the single cover sheet. She went into panic mode at the thought that all of the companies now knew who we were requesting proposals from - and that it would likely affect the proposals they received as well as their subsequent power to negotiate.

I learned a big lesson that day about RFP work. Fortunately, my boss at the temp job did NOT fire me, but used it as a teachable moment.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I built batch cycles that did stock trade automation for clients. One client requested a change that I put through that caused them to miss the opening bell. I should have caught it, but they also should have not requested it.

I left that company, but earlier this year, a junior staff member was making an edit to a metadata setting in software that was notoriously buggy/fiddly. He should never have touched that setting, but that cascaded into impacting 100+ firms and lasting for three days. It ended up costing the company around $6 million in SLA breaches. The guy who made the error was fired, the VP fired the two managers above that person, and the owner fired the VP.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I built batch cycles that did stock trade automation for clients. One client requested a change that I put through that caused them to miss the opening bell. I should have caught it, but they also should have not requested it.

I left that company, but earlier this year, a junior staff member was making an edit to a metadata setting in software that was notoriously buggy/fiddly. He should never have touched that setting, but that cascaded into impacting 100+ firms and lasting for three days. It ended up costing the company around $6 million in SLA breaches. The guy who made the error was fired, the VP fired the two managers above that person, and the owner fired the VP.
Ouch.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
I know a guy who told the CEO "You can't build a castle on a pile of sh*t", a not so subtle implication that management was the aforementioned pile.

The remark didn't go over so good. He wasn't around for long after that.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:04 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I know a guy who told the CEO "You can't build a castle on a pile of sh*t", a not so subtle implication that management was the aforementioned pile.

The remark didn't go over so good. He wasn't around for long after that.
But did the guy think it was a mistake? Maybe he still stands behind what he said...at his new place of employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment