Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:55 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,383,952 times

Advertisements

Interesting rants, but it points to the obvious: you want your parcels then think about building in ONE SPOT for delivery and/or immediate pick up of passengers i.e. Uber/Lyft. I've never met a delivery driver inside a library for "minutes".

Drivers are expected to achieve a certain level of productivity. You can't have that if you're going to have no way to park. This BS has been going on for decades. I drove an extremely heavy route in a downtown core for a decade with zero customer complaints, driver complaints, or other issues.

I parked in all the diplomatic spots downtown THAT WERE NEVER USED, and ran up my Swedish or other flag. Never got a ticket, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 01:37 AM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's illegal to block handicapped parking for almost any reason and the fine where I live is $200. Call the police if it happens again and they won't move their van. And I wouldn't listen to "just wait a few minutes" make them move it ASAP.
Take pictures while waiting....

Old 12-22-2018, 02:18 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,639,703 times
Seriously? The delivery driver is not going to be there all day. In a big rush? Find another place to park. Of all the problems in the world to focus on this? These drivers usually run in and back out. Every place I go the handicapped spots are in big supply. Looks like someone has too much time on their hands.

Old 12-22-2018, 05:25 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,265,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Not that I think it's OK but they are carrying packages.

With the advent of on line shopping, there are so many more deliveries than 5 and 10 years ago. I think it's time for some places to consider designating a spot for deliveries. Many have recognized this and have done it, others should too.
great post

Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 AM

17,373 posts, read 22,129,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I have seen delivery drivers park in all sorts of illegal places: fire lanes, double parking, no parking zones, etc. . . This is the first time I have seen one park in front of a handicapped parking area. I believe the fine in SC for parking in a handicapped spot without a placard/designated license plate is $200 also. I wonder if he would have owed $600 had he been caught by the police since he blocked three spaces at once
Just keep in mind the guy is working......delivery especially this time of year is insanity. Sorry your father in law was 10 minutes late for lunch but consider the big picture.

BTW no cop in the world would cite a guy doing deliveries for a parking violation, a young guy in a Lexus or mom in a Range Rover would surely get the ticket but delivery guy in December the week before Christmas no.

The other "glitch" in your story: Most delivery vans won't stretch across 3 handicapped spots (extra wide for wheelchair accessibility). Maybe a full sized UPS truck would get close but a van, no way.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:54 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,928,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
you end up parking halfway out in an otherwise empty lot. It's nonsense.

Most Americans could use the exercise.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,963,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Calling the cops won't get you anywhere and they are the ones who call for the tow. You can't, but you CAN call the company and complain. I can believe they'll let the driver know not to do that again.

That's when the illegal parking is occurring on PUBLIC property. If it's a privately owned parking lot the owner of the lot can call the towing company.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:06 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,963,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The other "glitch" in your story: Most delivery vans won't stretch across 3 handicapped spots (extra wide for wheelchair accessibility). Maybe a full sized UPS truck would get close but a van, no way.
W. B. Mason trucks do.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:29 PM

3,220 posts, read 2,444,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
bottom line: it does not affect me or my 94-year-old mother who requires a wheelchair.

we park far enough away so that we get a somewhat minimum amount of exercise.
basically: the close-in parking convenience is not that much, and the extra time is ~3 minutes.
Handicapped spaces have more room (usually that lined space between the handicapped or another space) for the handicapped to either be wheeled into the vehicle or the wheel chair put in. If you park elsewhere, even really far away, someone inevitably parks beside you and if you have a wheel chair that you need to put in the side door of a handicapped van, you can't do it. If you 94 year old mother can walk from the back of the car to her wheel chair, great for you but many cannot and need that space to go from vehicle to chair or to use a ramp to wheel into a van.

Old 12-22-2018, 02:02 PM

17,614 posts, read 13,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so mods please move if it's the wrong one. Yesterday my handicapped father-in-law, mother-in-law, wife, and I were going out to lunch in Beaufort, SC. My FIL was about to pull into his parking space and discovered a lazy delivery driver had parked his van in front of all three spaces at the library, blocking them all so my FIL could not pull into any of them. We waited a couple of minutes and when he didn't emerge, my wife went inside to retrieve him. The librarian reamed him out for blocking the spaces.

He came out a couple of minutes later and sheepishly moved his van. I wondered how many times he had done this. Delivery drivers, please understand. You can't just park wherever you want because you are making deliveries, especially in front/in handicapped places. If I ever see this happen again, I will call for your vehicle to be towed and report you to your company
This is common and ILLEGAL! I'd look for a cop to ticket the truck. I'd also contact the company that owns the vehicles

Last edited by mike1003; 12-22-2018 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment