Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 811 times

Advertisements

I received an outstanding performance review 1 week ago during my annual review at work. My boss has spoken very highly of me throughout the year and explained that she's very happy that I'm on her team.

I made a minor mistake at work a few days ago, and I found out that I will receive a formal written warning from upper management, as requested from my boss. The mistake was never discussed me with verbally by my boss.

How do I handle this situation and how should I protect myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 01:51 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,065 times
Two different issues from my understanding. You had an excellent review, then made the error. Acknowledge the error and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:31 PM

29,516 posts, read 22,653,459 times
You know the drill, 'first time' poster, time to brush up the rez.

Eight Warning Signs of Potential Employment Termination and Eight Ways to Respond

Quote:
2. You get written up. One of the primary steps in proving cause for termination is good documentation showing what happened and why. When an employee makes a mistake or breaks a company rule, it is not unusual for them to be written up with some kind of warning, corrective action or other form of documentation. If you are written up, and there is a good reason for that write up, it may be that the write up was appropriate and written in good faith to address the issue. But if you have been written up unfairly or if you were written up when an oral conversation should have been enough, that is a red flag that the boss may be intending to soon walk you out the door.

Help! My Boss Just Wrote Me Up! What Can I Do?

What to Do if You Disagree With an Employee Write-Up

Old 12-15-2018, 03:19 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Does it seem that we have had a lot of first time posters here on CD lately?

Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
OP, I don't care how raving your review was, you have to remember a manager's job is to protect him or herself, not you.

They are two separate things -- your review, and the mistake (since then)

But, I have to say, from the worker-bee point of view, I think what your boss did was low.
IF the mistake was truly minor, why didn't she discuss it with you, before recommending a formal warning?
Clearly she didn't have to do that. But wouldn't it have shown you that she's not a low down dirty, back-stabbing dog?

Why do I say that?
1) You were never informed about possible repercussions from the error.
2) It'd be one thing if HER boss had wanted you to get a warning. You said SHE is the one who asked that you be formally warned. That leads me to believe she also had the option of NOT going that route.

Clearly you can't trust her to have your back.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous27 View Post
I received an outstanding performance review 1 week ago during my annual review at work. My boss has spoken very highly of me throughout the year and explained that she's very happy that I'm on her team.

I made a minor mistake at work a few days ago, and I found out that I will receive a formal written warning from upper management, as requested from my boss. The mistake was never discussed me with verbally by my boss.

How do I handle this situation and how should I protect myself?
Things happen. The past doesn't always determine the future. People do make mistakes no matter how stellar an employee they are. Doesn't sound like it was "minor" if you will be formally written up, so change your view about that. Make sure you know why it happened. Could have been a result of lack of skill OR of conduct/attitude. Acknowledge the mistake when it comes up with your boss and be prepared to explain what you will do to avoid it or similar mistakes in future. It's your willingness to regroup, re-tool, and to take ownership they are probably expecting from such an otherwise outstanding employee. If you prove them right, this blip will remain right where it belongs; in the past.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:45 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Weird scenario. Excellent rating, but then you make a 'minor' error for which your supervisor requests a formal, written warning. Anywhere I've every worked, a minor mistake is handled informally. Something is missing in the middle there.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
There may be a difference in opinion involved.

1: Your opinion was it was not a serious mistake.

2: Company opinion. Your mistake may have caused problems for others, and this mistake was brought to attention of upper management, who ordered the written notice.

This is what happens a lot of times, and there is no contesting the write up.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:57 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Protect yourself from what? Learn from your mistake and move on. There appears to be a difference of opinion regarding how minor the mistake was.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Do you think that employees who get ‘Outstanding’ reviews are above making mistakes or errors on the job? Of course not. These are two separate issues from a management perspective. The key bit of information that is missing for me is why your boss didn’t handle this instead of taking it up the ladder. What am I missing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment