Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 03:13 PM

538 posts, read 386,015 times

Advertisements

Reviews are good but there are so many locations and jobs. Not any for the job I applied for. I was told it was a dept of about 16 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 03:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No. Its a company thats completely dysfunctional and either:

A.) Cant keep track of they own freakin job openings

B A position with incessant turnover and is a hole

From my experience, I would stay away. Check out the reviews online. If there is a common theme its probably true. Rule of thumb from what I have learned, ALWAYS ALWAYS check out company reviews online before you bother. If everyone is giving it a thumbs down rating, chances are its true. Not everyone can be wrong
The OP has outlined that he is seeking something of a commodity job - one which companies typically hire in large numbers - so all of that may be true.

However, in my case in and in several that I know of, the job is much narrower and more defined, typically one to a company or division or at most a few in special circumstances. When a job is relisted at 3-5 week intervals, it's because none of the top few applicants met their needs. Do they continue sifting the pile of already-received applications? Nope. They just relist and again only look at the few that automated filtering and meta-scoring bring to the top. And repeat until someone unlocks the puzzle door. I've seen some jobs come around five or six times in fewer months.

"Frustrating" is not the word.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:23 PM

538 posts, read 386,015 times
How was I able to secure a position through the employment agency? Also them telling the agency that they liked me and are considering me for the position is a good sign or them just blowing smoke? The agency made sure I sent a thank you note to solidify things. Which I did.
Also when I search the people in the position I am being considered for on Linkedin it shows many graduated from college this year and it’s their first job. I’m in my 40’s so I’m assuming they prefer younger people for this position.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:24 PM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
A large company has been posting their customer service job since last year (salary 47K which is decent). I send my resume a few times but received a rejection saying my resume was not selected. Then a few weeks ago I send my resume for the same job, not knowing it was the same job since it didn’t list the company this time and it was through Job Giraffe which is an employment agency. This time I got an interview and they told the agency they liked me and are considering me for the position. Do you think it’s a good sign? But also maybe not a good sign if this job is always being posted? And why didn’t they reject my resume but then interview me when it was through an employment agency?
Thats not enough info to make any conclusion about tje company.

Most companies have more than 1 customer service reps. Just because the person was posted again doesnt mean the last rep they hire is quitting due to poor work environment.

I am guessing you didn't get a job interview the first time around because your resume didnt pass w.e. filter they have in place. Maybe the staffing agency has differents filters and deemed you good enough to have a real person see your resume?

Old 12-29-2018, 06:04 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
No. Its a company thats completely dysfunctional and either:

A.) Cant keep track of they own freakin job openings

B A position with incessant turnover and is a hole

From my experience, I would stay away. Check out the reviews online. If there is a common theme its probably true. Rule of thumb from what I have learned, ALWAYS ALWAYS check out company reviews online before you bother. If everyone is giving it a thumbs down rating, chances are its true. Not everyone can be wrong

If everyone or the majority says is sucks.. Yea it sucks.
While most forums like Glassdoor and Indeed where employees leave reviews about the company are usually reserved for the extreme employees, I agree that if there is a common theme that everyone is complaining about the same thing I would say avoid the company.

Disgruntled employees typically post on Glassdoor/Indeed but if everyone complains about the same issues it must be true. My current employer has a 2.4 star rating on indeed and my company isn’t on Glassdoor since it’s kind of a small company but there isn’t a common theme for people complaining about the same thing. The general rule of thumb is if the company doesn’t have at least a 3.5 star rating on both Indeed/Glassdoor it’s most likely a crappy place to work because far too many people are complaining about the place. There can’t be that many people upset about working there and it’s still a decent place to work at that point.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:40 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Yeah. But if you're out of work, sometimes you just have to suck up working for an employer, or at a place, that sucks. Life isn't fair, it is what it is.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:31 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
There could be any number of reasons and there is virtually no way to tell.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:55 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah. But if you're out of work, sometimes you just have to suck up working for an employer, or at a place, that sucks. Life isn't fair, it is what it is.
Working for a crappy employer for a little while to make ends meet is one thing but no one should be subjected to having to work for multiple crappy employers or be stuck at a crappy employer for years. That means there is a serious problem with this country

Old 12-31-2018, 06:22 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The OP has outlined that he is seeking something of a commodity job - one which companies typically hire in large numbers - so all of that may be true.

However, in my case in and in several that I know of, the job is much narrower and more defined, typically one to a company or division or at most a few in special circumstances. When a job is relisted at 3-5 week intervals, it's because none of the top few applicants met their needs. Do they continue sifting the pile of already-received applications? Nope. They just relist and again only look at the few that automated filtering and meta-scoring bring to the top. And repeat until someone unlocks the puzzle door. I've seen some jobs come around five or six times in fewer months.

"Frustrating" is not the word.
I am not job searching for myself but have son and SIL who are out of work almost a year

I routinely see the same jobs posted on revolving door in various sites--Indeed being one of them

I think it has to do with advertising/clicks for the website
They need to justify their advertising rates by the number of people who visit and click on ads
Reposting popular jobs--that were good click bait--is one way to do that

Old 12-31-2018, 06:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Working for a crappy employer for a little while to make ends meet is one thing but no one should be subjected to having to work for multiple crappy employers or be stuck at a crappy employer for years. That means there is a serious problem with this country
And do you think there is not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment