Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:44 AM

538 posts, read 386,015 times

Advertisements

Also how can they be sure everyone is filing correctly? With so many files things can get misplaced as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
They really need to update this don’t they? They said they have to keep all papers for 7 years.
in healthcare informatics we keep things around for 7 years. we have mainframe jobs that delete records from the database after a certain date.

it seems the owners have a culture of being stuck in their ways.

i doubt one stapler-jockey is gonna' cause them to have an epiphany.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:23 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
That actually sounds normal to me. Paper trails are proof, but I imagine trying to understand the long e-mail strings are very confusing if you actually needed to!!

Every company works differently. My co-worker's last company did the same, printed every damn thing out. Sounds like your company is the same. What a waste of paper, is all I have to say!!!!!

In my opinion, just wait until the END of that order and then print everything out, using BOTH sides.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Also all faxes only come through the fax machine. They don’t come through your email. Huge global food service companies manually fax their revisions. I had a revision that couldn’t be changed because of inventory so I email the customer to tell her. The customer can’t just email me back advising anything. They have to send another fax telling me to cancel the item (which was never even entered since there wasn’t inventory). They just list all the item and put an asterisk next to the one their changing or canceling. I think the revision is for a different order since they fax so many every day and question why they are canceling an item that isn’t on the order and then realize it’s for the same order telling me to cancel the item they wanted to add. Why couldn’t the customer just email me stating to disregard the original revision asking me to add the item? Then we have to make sure all the paper work is stapled to the original order. This company I was dealing with is so huge there is no way they operate with faxes like that. It must be our policy. Although our company is pretty huge also.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Also how can they be sure everyone is filing correctly? With so many files things can get misplaced as well.
Not your problem. Put it out of your mind and do your job.

Quote:
Also all faxes only come through the fax machine. They don’t come through your email. Huge global food service companies manually fax their revisions. I had a revision that couldn’t be changed because of inventory so I email the customer to tell her. The customer can’t just email me back advising anything.
There is reason for requiring customers to do this. It isn't a good reason, but it is a reason. If you have one formal, authorized method of placing or amending orders there is only one place to look if there is ever a dispute. If the customer says they sent Adrian an email, that simply does not count.

It is a method of keeping order. A better method would be better software that could track order corrections, but software is expensive and some companies do not see the value in investing.

Quote:
They have to send another fax telling me to cancel the item (which was never even entered since there wasn’t inventory). They just list all the item and put an asterisk next to the one their changing or canceling. I think the revision is for a different order since they fax so many every day and question why they are canceling an item that isn’t on the order and then realize it’s for the same order telling me to cancel the item they wanted to add. Why couldn’t the customer just email me stating to disregard the original revision asking me to add the item? Then we have to make sure all the paper work is stapled to the original order. This company I was dealing with is so huge there is no way they operate with faxes like that. It must be our policy. Although our company is pretty huge also.
I threw my fax machine away years ago. I don't even do e-fax. If you have a document you want me to see, send it over as an attachment, preferably as a .pdf. I will make any notes and amendments on that, and if I really need you to confirm, I send it back, you sign off and return.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
Quote:
This is one of the largest food providers in the US and Canada.
That's the scary part, but it just shows you that even larger organizations are still prone to having delusional management that enforces highly inefficient, backwards practices.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Also I like getting up from my desk but taking 50 to 100 trips to the printer and to check my bin for orders is annoying.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM

Some product analyist needs copies of EDI orders to fix something in the system. They have me going thru files draws looking for orders then pulling the original EDI order off, make copies, staple back together and re file. How is this stuff not electronic????!!!!!

Old 01-21-2019, 04:21 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
I sympathize with the OP.

I had a career in local government. My department had about 200 people out of the larger 1,000+ total pool of employees.

About 180 of the 200 were covered by the union contract. The other 20 were mostly managers and covered by the global policies that the other 800 employees were under.

The union contract had always had a catch all clause that allowed management to substitute electronic media for paper. At the time I did not realize how valuable that was. There was no such clause for the 20 of us covered under the global policy.

Around 2006 we implemented an on line scheduling system for our 200 employees. It worked well. Eliminated all that paper.
Guess what happened in 2016? An audit!

The auditor found the union employees were in compliance since the contract allowed electronic media for the scheduling system.

The auditor found that the management employees were not compliant with the global vacation policy because that policy-from 1999 and last revised in 2007-required a form to be submitted. An electronic form was not acceptable. Now we had to do both-electronic and paper form. They scanned the official form as a pdf and we emailed that to our supervisor. Those were all printed out and hand signed, then filed. Total waste of paper and time since no one-except some fictional future auditor-would ever look at those paper forms. That same information was available on the on line system and could easily be printed-just not on the official form required by the 1999 policy.

Last edited by RMD3819; 01-21-2019 at 04:40 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 04:55 AM

What’s the point of having EDI if it has to be printed? And the only way product analysts can check for errors is by checking those print outs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment