Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 PM

323 posts, read 219,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
What does that mean?
Because people are asking about your 6 month review!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Well when we were leaving we chatted and basically he said that this is full time and the company is moving towards the old system where if you work there, you retire there. And that "your here as long as your here" and "I don't hire to replace people because that would look bad on me" He also said that there has to be a reason they let me go where they would have multiple warning. They canned a guy a few days ago after several warnings according to him. When he parted he said to "enjoy the ride" and to "take a breath, because everything is going to be alright". Thoughts?
What do you want us to say, OP? Either your manager is lying or he's not. In any event, look for something else. You might want to get another job no matter what happens because it sounds like you will be insecure about the stability of your position every day you work there whether you get fired or not.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:32 PM

480 posts, read 316,804 times
OP sent out 200 job applications and put in notice on apartment!

If this is your normal method of dealing with life and work, than maybe you should be concerned. Only 2 months into a job....

Old 01-20-2019, 01:20 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
OP sent out 200 job applications and put in notice on apartment!

If this is your normal method of dealing with life and work, than maybe you should be concerned. Only 2 months into a job....
I don't have the funds to wait and be let go, if that's the case. Best case is it is my manager is telling the truth and I cancel the application process and apartment notice. Worst case is I get fired and have to move to another area.

I understand that employers have their needs and so do the employees. But at some point there has to be a compromise. A job should not be considered to be a slave job. It should be a place where you give ideas and help the company save money and prosper, as long as you are fulfilling the job requirements.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
OP, or should be like that, but it isn’t. You can leave for something better too is the upside. Seriously try and calm down and not think of the worse case scenarios. I can’t tell you how many reorganization’s and layoffs I have been through.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:13 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If I tell them they are gone I need to cut them loose right there to avoid problems. But if I con their ignorant employee mind into thinking they are a great employee, I can have them blissfully training their replacement and transitioning them into some fake expanded position. Once I get what i want out of that employee, I say thanks and hand them the banker's box!
By similar reasoning, why shouldn’t the employee in question actively work to backstab and undermine you? An example would be surreptitiously transferring internal company files, accumulating a cache of them, and offering them to competitors… while covering one’s tracks by pretending to discover a hack or a leak of some sort. Or a much more aboveboard (but possibly more insidious) ploy: leveling a claim of sexual harassment, or some other form of harassment. However spurious it is, it would get tied up in investigations and so forth, possibly for months, thus tying your hands, and marring your company's reputation.

Quote:
My manager sent this email to the entire team below after our conversation. Thoughts?...
I’d be concerned with the run-on sentences, milquetoast management-speak and overall poor level of written expression. I’d hope that my boss were a tad more eloquent. But there does not, at present, appear to be overt cause for alarm.

All of this forestall - employee neurosis and and management frustration - if the decision to expand were to have been shared with the employees aforehand. Management would go over financial statements, company strategy and so forth, announcing the good news of expansion. Employees could even be offered incentives if they bring in candidates who get hired.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:29 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
But now that you've been frantically burning up the phone lines to multiple people, they're probably starting to wonder.

If they were looking to replace you, they wouldn't have said so. So you gained nothing, but exposed your hand... you're nervous and feel replaceable. Now they're going to be asking themselves if they missed something about you.
Too many mind games.

They'll never retain good talent if that's their POV.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
But now that you've been frantically burning up the phone lines to multiple people, they're probably starting to wonder.

If they were looking to replace you, they wouldn't have said so. So you gained nothing, but exposed your hand... you're nervous and feel replaceable. Now they're going to be asking themselves if they missed something about you.
I agree. OP shouldn't mention it to his boss. It would have been interesting if they would have sent that email if OP didn't bring up the job posting.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 AM

801 posts, read 547,684 times
I feel like OP is leaving out part of the story intentionally.

Why is he so insecure about his job?

So far we've learned..

He is a new hire. The position is not being terminated. The company got a new gigantic contract that will cause business to boom. But, they will fire him?? That doesn't add up.

OP do you feel the job management is unsatisfied with your performance? Did you over exaggerate your skill set in your job interview?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
What do you mean?
He means they dont give a damn.

At one point I was also like this - worrying about things we cant control . If you are good at your job, these things wont matter. Because you will have your job or you can find one quickly. Thinking and focussing on "what ifs" will drain you. Meanwhile sharpen your skills while you are at the job. Thats teh only lifeboat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment