Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
This is exhausting. I feel like this was copied/pasted from some MLM handbook as the "What to say when people put down your MLM business."

It's all wrong. All of what you said. Wrong. All of it.
The part begging others not to make contact was particularly amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:05 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,165,677 times
This really brings back memories.

We were heavily recruited by a couple to join Amway, only they were using another name for it. The way he framed it was you get your friends to purchase all their regular household stuff through your website and viola! free money! He said it was all stuff people bought all the time, like toilet paper and laundry soap. Easy peasy.

Meanwhile, they were obviously struggling financially. They drove an old, rickety mini van. The wife invited me to go to a "meeting" at a local hotel one night. So I went and was really turned off. There was still no mention anywhere of Amway. Everyone was wearing the same jewelry they had "earned" with sales. No thanks. When we left, my host wanted to know how impressed I was. I was really honest with her that everyone kind of looked the same. I didn't want the same earrings as everyone else. She didn't reply.

They came over to talk to us again one night (why did we keep letting them come over??) and somewhere in the conversation it clicked with me that this was Amway. I asked if this was true and they became very defensive and denied it completely. I had to leave the room with my daughter as he actually got into a shouting match with my husband (who never yells).

My good friend sells Rodan and Fields. Supposedly, she is making enough to soon quit her full time job. I don't know who she sells to. Her two best friends don't buy from her. I don't have anything against their products, I just found others I liked better. She did try to recruit me one time and never again. It will never affect our friendship. Thank goodness she isn't that tacky. I've had to block others on FB because of their constant harping about selling and recruiting for skin care MLMs.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The part begging others not to make contact was particularly amusing.
He doesn't want us all flooding his inbox to join Amway with him lol

Old 01-31-2019, 11:45 AM

9,424 posts, read 8,398,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I've had to block others on FB because of their constant harping about selling and recruiting for skin care MLMs.
Same. Most are stay-at-home Moms. A few actually had these daily videos of themselves that were 5 to 20 mins long putting on makeup, talking about their products.......UGH. A few are friends but most were wives of my buddies. I asked one of the husbands once "Do you know that this is a nearly guaranteed money loser?" and he just shrugged his shoulders and said she wants to do it.

Unreal.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
He doesn't want us all flooding his inbox to join Amway with him lol
I promise to leave him alone.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,398,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Same. Most are stay-at-home Moms. A few actually had these daily videos of themselves that were 5 to 20 mins long putting on makeup, talking about their products.......UGH. A few are friends but most were wives of my buddies. I asked one of the husbands once "Do you know that this is a nearly guaranteed money loser?" and he just shrugged his shoulders and said she wants to do it.

Unreal.
Many women get involved in these because it gives them a social life. Their friends are all in them so they join and let their friends make money off them; and they go to the out-of-town seminars with their friends and have fun. They forget about how much money they're losing.

I'm a SAHM but have never been involved in MLMs. I probably have fewer friends because of that, but I'm okay with it.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many women get involved in these because it gives them a social life. Their friends are all in them so they join and let their friends make money off them; and they go to the out-of-town seminars with their friends and have fun. They forget about how much money they're losing.

I'm a SAHM but have never been involved in MLMs. I probably have fewer friends because of that, but I'm okay with it.
I think this is a big part of it, the need to feel useful and socialize with other people. I'm sure they might *think* they can actually make some money too, but I have a hard time understanding why in today's day and age with anything and everything searchable at your fingertips how people can still get sucked into such nonsense.

If this were my wife, I'd rather pay for her to get a membership at the local golf club or yoga studio. At least then she's getting something out of what we're paying for.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:02 PM

3,821 posts, read 8,754,368 times
Pink Truth – Facts, opinions, and the real story behind Mary Kay Cosmetics.

All MLMs use the same tactics so this actually covers more than just MK

Old 01-31-2019, 02:09 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Even though there is plenty of information on MLM scams, it's not hard to understand why people continue to sign up for this nonsense.

After all, people continue to get scammed by the classic Nigerian email scam. And people continue to get scammed by fake dating profiles, giving millions of dollars to false profiles of people they've never met in their lives.

And it all goes to what I said before. MLM as a business preys on those most vulnerable in our society. They'll look for those who are down on their luck, those who have too much time on their hands, etc. Last year, I almost got scammed by a fake IRS scam when I was distracted by personal issues.

They may face a lot of rejection from potential marks, so they'll do what they can to fill their minds with dreams of owning that fancy car for doing effortless work.

Old 02-01-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Even though there is plenty of information on MLM scams, it's not hard to understand why people continue to sign up for this nonsense.

After all, people continue to get scammed by the classic Nigerian email scam. And people continue to get scammed by fake dating profiles, giving millions of dollars to false profiles of people they've never met in their lives.

And it all goes to what I said before. MLM as a business preys on those most vulnerable in our society. They'll look for those who are down on their luck, those who have too much time on their hands, etc. Last year, I almost got scammed by a fake IRS scam when I was distracted by personal issues.

They may face a lot of rejection from potential marks, so they'll do what they can to fill their minds with dreams of owning that fancy car for doing effortless work.
Haha, true.

Growing up my Dad was a bright guy but very surly. He always used to grumble about how "dumb" people were. Now, as an adult, I get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment