Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Linkedin overrated?
Yes 85 70.83%
No 23 19.17%
Undecided 12 10.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
It's what you make of it.

I get recruiter contacts all the time. I'm working in a very high demand field, your mileage may vary.
^ this.

Most of the comments thus far talks about job placement. I've never used it for that. For me, it's a window to information within my industry (info/cyber security). But it's not exactly something I overly rely on. It's there, and its free (I would never pay for it). To be honest, I would probably rate Reddit over it for news/developments. In essence - Reddit is more like a newspaper where Linkedin is more of a magazine.

So is it overrated? I don't think so. But I also don't have a lot of expectations from it.

That said - I have noticed that non-business content is starting to grow. "This should be on Facebook" is a common response/comment I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
It is slightly overrated.

It is slammed both with people that are looking for work and those hiring. The biggest problem I see with it is way too saturated to the point that it hurts. I get messages every week by some random person that just wants to sell me a job without even asking me anything about what I do. 90% of the time, the job has little to do with my talent. Then, on the otherhand, I see/get messages of awkward unemployed people who are nearly begging for a job that they simply aren’t qualified for. All of the good stuff LinkedIn charges for too. It is way from farcy for me.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I never really understood the point of LinkedIn. I have plenty of "connections" that I don't even know who they are. Some people claim to work for companies that I know they don't work for. And, I never manually add any contacts. I'm afraid that if I add a woman as a contact, she'll accuse me of sexual harassment. But I'm afraid that if I only add men as contacts, I'll be seen as sexist. So I add nobody except those who request it, most of whom, as I said, I have no idea who they are.
How would having a woman LinkedIn contact have anything to do with sexual harassment? Surely men aren't that dense.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I don't think it's over or under rated. It just is what it is.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
No, been able to network with contacts in my industry, look up connections of job applicants for references and also secure several great jobs through recruiters who found me on the site.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM

153 posts, read 135,729 times
I have been in contact with one particular individual on LinkedIn for 2-3 years. He changed jobs a couple times, he ended up with a really good company. That served as a springboard for me to get hired by the same company. It's pretty much my dream job. But this has taken years. There are no miracles but there are always opportunities.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
I think it's slightly overrated in a sense that it gives those without the skills for a certain job the impression that they can magically get a connection to land it. However, I'm not sure if I can blame that on the platform itself rather than unrealistic expectations.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
LinkedIn is not going to help you get a job if you don't have the talent, experience, skills. If you have a unique, marketable skill set and the right experience, I think it can get you exposure if you know how to use it correctly and can give you an idea of potential positions out there. I think it has benefits, but it is not a miracle site that will automatically land you your dream job. I think it's good if your expectations are realistic.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:56 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I think it's slightly overrated in a sense that it gives those without the skills for a certain job the impression that they can magically get a connection to land it. However, I'm not sure if I can blame that on the platform itself rather than unrealistic expectations.
I do get contacted through LinkedIn, but the majority are temp/contract opportunities. I don't know any internal recruiters or hiring managers looking for people to interview off LI directly.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's apparently just the bomb in a number of tech sectors where high-end people are continually headhunted. For the rest of us, it's kind of a meh MySpace for business - not really a substitute for a resume or portfolio, not really made up of useful linkages to other people you don't already know/work with, and prone to lots of insurance/financial 'mining' and vague HR misuse - such as discerning many of those things they can't ask directly and aren't supposed to use in evaluating candidates.
So, because you chose to not make much of it, it's LI's fault that you don't receive much from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment