Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:02 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times

Advertisements

Three weeks ago....................

So, end of the quarter, we all gather to find out one employee (On graveyard) was chosen as employee of the year. The attendance awards are handed out.

Then the President (Who'd been handing out the awards and checks) said

"Anyone with a question?"

"Yes" I said. "Can we get more lockers installed?"

"What's wrong with the ones now?"

"They're full" Many respond.

"That's NOT why they are there!" he says, then turns to supervisor and says "Find out who is in them and let them know to clear out by the end of next week or the locks will be cut off and everything thrown in the garbage. Those lockers are for temporary storage of valuables while you are working, not for personal stuff"

So, they have been cleared, but people are STILL complaining. I joke with one worker that soon they'll burn me in effigy. He replied "I hope so, some of them are mad enough to do it for real"....

Ever have a situation like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
I try not to bring things up in larger groups like that without testing the waters with people one on one first.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
I've seen it happen in venues very similar to yours. Basically hijacking a group event for a completely irrelevant and potentially contentious issue.

Your error was raising the issue in the moment, President's error was choosing to immediately and publicly acknowledge it.

Lose/Lose

Old 02-14-2019, 01:39 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Sort of...

I worked for a local government. Our global IT department charges $2,000 per computer, per year. This pays for tech support, email, and other basic computer services. It also allows connection to the intranet. Their budget is funded mostly by these charges. There are no per user charges.

Our department decided to save money by pulling 30 computers off the system. These computers were used by many different people so they created a generic log on per computer. Email required you to use the external web page to log on with your individual credentials. Did not need intranet access.

Shortly after this the IT director sends a directive out that all employees must complete an online computer security class. They will track compliance by your login credentials. Since we were using generic logins it would be impossible to determine this. I innocently asked the IT director how to handle this. I did not get an immediate response.

It turns out he did not know we had taken $60K off of his budget.

A few days later I am copied on an email string that started with my inquiry and ending with our department IT guy sarcastically saying "thanks" to me. The gist of the email string was there was now a problem between our department and IT over this and since I spilled the beans the ire was directed at me. I had no idea they did not know and had nothing to do with this. All I wanted to do was complete the security course.

I found out later this caused a HUGE problem for my department that was finally settled by our department buying a server and sharing it with IT.

The security course was settled by taking the class using the generic log in and sending an email stating you took the class.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:36 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
I'd suspect most places have at least one person who looks for a reason to start a war. Some people love to stir a pot even if it's not on the stove.

Of course, when someone questions them about it they'll claim it was unintentional.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:45 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
For a moment I thought this was going to turn into a joke thread "...and that's how the fight started."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comme...fight_started/

Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

Ever have a situation like this?

I try hard to avoid all drama and any potential confrontation at work. I actually actively avoid it. I find this type of stuff amounts to never-ending battles that can never really fully be won. It is always the next thing.....

Old 02-19-2019, 09:05 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "war," but I did unintentionally start a heated debate in a meeting! It was a meeting for the ESL conversation club coordinators (in our library system), and I asked what I thought was a simple question: Do/should we require volunteer facilitators to be native English speakers? As I was asking the question, it occurred to me that a couple of our STAFF coordinators aren't native speakers, so of course they said no. Then a few others said yes, and that lead to about 10 minutes of arguing back and forth. Whoopsie.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'd suspect most places have at least one person who looks for a reason to start a war. Some people love to stir a pot even if it's not on the stove.

Of course, when someone questions them about it they'll claim it was unintentional.
Funny, because I literally just said "unintentionally" in my anecdote... but it really wasn't intentional, whether or not you choose to believe me. It was a totally valid question!!

Old 02-19-2019, 09:20 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I try to avoid wars at work. With that said, I got heavy pushback for introducing a change management program a few years ago at a previous employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment