Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

I think most of us can agree that not getting a job offer, particularly for that 'dream' job we've totally fallen in love with and think we are more than qualified for, can be a very devastating experience.

However, sometimes not getting that job offer can be a blessing in disguise for whatever reason. Have any of you experienced this?

About eight years ago, I was absolutely miserable at work. I was getting mediocre reviews and was demoted from one position and forced into another I didn't want. At that same time, a former supervisor who was now a manager on the east coast (Maryland), reached out to me about a job opening. I immediately applied and within a few days heard back and was set up with an interview. I had to do a red eye flight from San Francisco and interviewed most of the day before flying back at night. I thought the interviews went very well and since I was personally recommended by the manager, I felt I was a sure thing (every person he's recommended in the past got a job offer). I even started packing my boxes for the long move. However, one week without hearing anything became two weeks, then I wrote it off as my philosophy is never to contact a job back. I never did get any contact back and was disappointed at first, but then I was relieved, since I wasn't exactly fond of moving over there and being trapped if I wanted to move back. I ended up finding a much better job in another part of the state.

And just last year, I was miserable at my job for the same reasons. I was then contacted and recommended by two former co-workers at a relatively new company doing the same thing. I applied and was scheduled for an interview; I thought I aced the interviews and my experience was more than adequate for the position. They even gave me a tour of the surrounding cities to give me an idea of where I might want to live. It wasn't a far move, from San Diego County to Los Angeles county, but I'd be closer to family and starting anew. Two weeks later get the thanks but no thanks phone call and was crushed. But it turned out alright, as I heard through another source that the company had a miserable work environment and one of the guys that recommended me was actually looking to find another job (after only four months there). I also ended up getting the best review and raise of my life a few weeks ago since my bosses wanted to be sure I was happy and not wanting to job hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 04:42 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Agreed. It's all relative to what's available on the market including what you have right now.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:47 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think most of us can agree that not getting a job offer, particularly for that 'dream' job we've totally fallen in love with and think we are more than qualified for, can be a very devastating experience.

However, sometimes not getting that job offer can be a blessing in disguise for whatever reason. Have any of you experienced this?

About eight years ago, I was absolutely miserable at work. I was getting mediocre reviews and was demoted from one position and forced into another I didn't want. At that same time, a former supervisor who was now a manager on the east coast (Maryland), reached out to me about a job opening. I immediately applied and within a few days heard back and was set up with an interview. I had to do a red eye flight from San Francisco and interviewed most of the day before flying back at night. I thought the interviews went very well and since I was personally recommended by the manager, I felt I was a sure thing (every person he's recommended in the past got a job offer). I even started packing my boxes for the long move. However, one week without hearing anything became two weeks, then I wrote it off as my philosophy is never to contact a job back. I never did get any contact back and was disappointed at first, but then I was relieved, since I wasn't exactly fond of moving over there and being trapped if I wanted to move back. I ended up finding a much better job in another part of the state.

And just last year, I was miserable at my job for the same reasons. I was then contacted and recommended by two former co-workers at a relatively new company doing the same thing. I applied and was scheduled for an interview; I thought I aced the interviews and my experience was more than adequate for the position. They even gave me a tour of the surrounding cities to give me an idea of where I might want to live. It wasn't a far move, from San Diego County to Los Angeles county, but I'd be closer to family and starting anew. Two weeks later get the thanks but no thanks phone call and was crushed. But it turned out alright, as I heard through another source that the company had a miserable work environment and one of the guys that recommended me was actually looking to find another job (after only four months there). I also ended up getting the best review and raise of my life a few weeks ago since my bosses wanted to be sure I was happy and not wanting to job hunt.
Yes. I was upset about a couple of jobs I did not get. God is good; I ended up exactly where I should be. I wish I made more money. Sigh! My quality of life is much better.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:44 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I figure there is a reason I do not get jobs that I apply for. As an example, a friend worked in supervision for Employer X. He called me and told me they were looking for an assistant director. Long story short, I applied, had a great interview, but did not get the job. My friend later quit the job, stating the director was the most unethical person that he has ever worked for. Bullet dodged.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 PM

236 posts, read 259,018 times
I had a job offer, but they messed up the paperwork so the hiring process was delayed. In the meantime, I got a better job offer with more opportunities for advancement and better pay. I've had my share of bad luck job searching but sometimes it does work out well like that.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:57 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,646 times
A friend of ours applied for a job, was rejected. The place closed a year later. She was selected for a another job, declined it. The department was eliminated a few months later.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Until I was in my 50's I was lucky enough that I'd only interviewed for ONE job I didn't get. Pretty blessed when it comes to jobs.

So I can't really say whether not getting that one gig was a blessing in disguise. Never had any other contact with the place, and didn't know anyone who worked there. So I don't know any thing about it....whether it was well run, or not, Whether the managers were arse holes, or not. Whether it would have been a nightmare, or not. I'd think that unless you DO know someone who works there, there'd be know way of knowing what kind of place it is.

But then again, my interview at that one place was pre-Internet reviews, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. These days I guess you can find out more about wether you dodged a bul-let or not. Back then, I think it was harder to do.

--------------------

Why would a true friend all a person and suggest you interview for a job, at a place where they already know s/he hates working (or know a given department isn't well run). What the heck kind of friend is that? That's like an interviewer telling you how great the place is. You get hired. And by the time you get there 2-3 weeks later. The person who interviewed or hired you is gone. Not promoted....got another job and left the company. That always makes me think they lied. Which of course we know they do. At the very same time they're interviewing you, THEY themselves are looking to get out. That's why every job change is a crap sho-ot. And you really and truly just don't know until you're in there.

Last edited by selhars; 02-19-2019 at 01:09 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 06:33 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I was a finalist for a state role in Nashville back late last summer. Several interviews went well, pay was good, etc. They were finalizing things and POOF, I never heard back. Turns out there were layoffs at that agency and office. Had I taken the position, I'm sure I would have been axed.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:43 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Its not a blessing or a curse, you should be completely indifferent to the process, you toss out a resume and if they call for an interview cool, show up (as long as it does not cost you much) and if you get an offer you get an offer. I sometimes forget that I even applied to some jobs.

I am super busy trying to build my own business at the same time.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:17 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
One time I was interviewing for two jobs. One was a dream job and a FTE job, the other one was a long term contract at a great employer. When the second job came through, I contacted the dream job and asked them when I can expect a response.

They told me they canceled the job and relisted the job as more junior. During the interview, they were clearly dealing with senior level problems and the senior level person was a better fit. Clearly this is age discrimination and whoever they hired, will be overwhelmed in that role. (I checked later, and yes, they did relist the senior role as I expected, but it never ever got filled, kept being relisted over and over.)

The second job I took wound up being extended and I was allowed to work on a higher level project that benefited the team - and I got a great story that impresses employers to this day, so I definitely dodged a bullet, and the rejection turned out to be good for me in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment