Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 04:16 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times

Advertisements

If you are an older employee it is especially important to keep up to date on all the software used in your industry. This will keep you relevant.

What field are you in? Some jobs translate well into volunteer (few hours after work/weekends) positions for nonprofits which can get you in position/get needed experience for a paid position.
Or get something fulfilling as a side job and keep your steady paycheck go nowhere one strictly just for the bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 04:33 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Problem is, I don't have leadership skills. Doesn't any job looking for a supervisor-type role require some type of leadership experience?
If you want to move up a ladder you'll need to GET those skills. Some coursework at least. Are there any programs available through your employer? Have you REALLY looked into it or are you assuming something because it's convenient for your current mindset? You could even volunteer with a local cause that interests you and gain experience that way. Who knows...you just might end up finding a passion that translates into a paying job you'll enjoy more.

You have a hard combination to face...no advanced education and no leadership skills. Most people get it...a degree isn't a guarantee, but it is a weed out. If you aren't willing to pursue either of them maybe you do need to realize what you've got in your hand; a means to an end. You are employed and because you are employed you can save toward retirement, you do have practical experience doing something, and you can hopefully pay the bills. A change in attitude won't hurt. Instead of coming up with excuses and blaming everything on bad company, bad manager, unfair treatment, blah blah blah (all those things happen to people who DO have advantages you lack) you can accept the job for what it is; money in the bank in exchange for your time. Don't make it personal any longer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-24-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 04:39 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Any advice?"

yes.
please provide lots of details about your current employment.
line of work, your job title, what you actually do, etc.
that will give us C-D lurkers a chance at it.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Don't do anything that will get you canned. Hang in there until 66. Then you are across the finish line.
I agree with this suggestion. You are over 55 and ageism is rampant. No matter how hardworking and competent you are, most employers will be hesitant to hire you.

Try to finish the last few years of your career at this job. Feel fortunate that you do have a job with an income coming in. It also depends on how much money you have saved up and may have in your 401K. Also, does your company provide a pension when you retire from there? Perhaps you can retire early.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 PM

508 posts, read 459,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I agree with this suggestion. You are over 55 and ageism is rampant. No matter how hardworking and competent you are, most employers will be hesitant to hire you.

Try to finish the last few years of your career at this job. Feel fortunate that you do have a job with an income coming in. It also depends on how much money you have saved up and may have in your 401K. Also, does your company provide a pension when you retire from there? Perhaps you can retire early.

Yes, ageism is real. I'm well aware of that. It's unfortunate, but true.

I have both a pension and 401k, but I've decided I'm not going to touch it until I'm 62. I have some savings and a roommate who pays rent, so I'm not going to starve.

What I'd like to do is take online classes to better myself so I can get a job at my age, in a field that will accept me. That's where I'm looking for recommendations. What about accounting, or pharmacy tech? I wouldn't think your age is that much of a hindrance with those jobs.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:57 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
At 55, your options are limited.

The supervisory route is a decent suggestion, but typically companies will only outsiders to be supervisors if they've been supervisors before.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:32 AM

745 posts, read 480,458 times
Quote:

I have both a pension and 401k, but I've decided I'm not going to touch it until I'm 62. I have some savings and a roommate who pays rent, so I'm not going to starve.

What I'd like to do is take online classes to better myself so I can get a job at my age, in a field that will accept me. That's where I'm looking for recommendations. What about accounting, or pharmacy tech? I wouldn't think your age is that much of a hindrance with those jobs.
I honestly don't think taking online classes will help your cause. I don't believe most employers will give you consideration for those , especially if they knew you took them at a later stage in life.

You don't say how large the company is, but is there another department you could move to that would suit you better?

At 60, I struggle with wanting to continue to work, but in my state, health insurance is mandatory, and costs continue to rise, so I am personally trying to hang in there as long as possible although I am pretty well set for retirement. You should consider if your current living situation (i.e. will the roommate be there in the long term and if not for some reason, can you afford to live alone)?

My main point is to ask yourself if your current situation is that bad and if you will make things worse by making radical changes?

Good Luck either way.

Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:

It is good that you have both a pension and a 401K. If you take it at 62, then you can take the Social Security early retirement option at the same time. Those three income sources would provide a nice chunk of money for you in retirement. Social Security payouts are based on what you earn, the more the better, and your pension as well. So these three sources of income are more reasons to stay with your current job until you retire.

I am not sure if age is a hindrance in accounting or pharmacy. If I had to guess it probably is. Employers are unlikely to take a chance on an oldster who is a stone's throw from retirement, and when there are plenty of younger, cheaper people to hire.

Perhaps you should change your mindset and come to terms with your approaching retirement. Start thinking about what you may want to do. Retirement gives you a lot of flexibility. No more job pressures, hassles, and unpleasant people to deal with. Just fun, fun, fun. And the more money you have to spend, the better.

You can still work in retirement if you want to, at a better and lower stress job. And making a lot of money at that job is no longer important since you will have the other income streams.

You can take online classes to better yourself if you want which may help you acquire that new job. Or you can take those classes just for fun.

Unfortunately, I am not able to suggest any fields for you to go into where age is not a factor. Maybe someone else here can comment on that.

I am 62 and retired. I do have a vanity career as a substitute teacher. There is no age discrimination in this career and the field is noncompetitive since there is always a shortage of subs. But it does not pay a living wage ($85 a day). But since I have other income streams, the money that I make from this job is not important. I am just having some fun with this career and can work as much or as little as I want. Perhaps you can also do something like this when you retire.

Good luck in finding what you want.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:50 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
You mention health as a reason to leave. Is it stress? or stress related?

Frankly, I'd be just hanging on for the next 7 years....Yes, tough to do. I'm at 3.5 years to go myself...

Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Don't you dare quit your job without having another one lined up. After 55, age discrimination is a HYUUUUUUGE problem.

Unfortunately, there are virtually no entry level jobs that require no experience, so making a career change will not be easy, as employers don't recognize transferable skills in an old field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment