Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,747,131 times

Advertisements

I posted before about a job I recently started. I have been cc'd on various emails. I noticed that when anyone asks a question to this supervisor (I'm not sure if that he's a supervisor, but he is below the manager), he comes back with an abrasive response. It seems like people are asking legitimate questions, in response to instructions or changes emailed to entire departments.

I know people outside of work like this. I avoid them like the plague. But have never dealt with people like this in a managerial type position. I have assessed already that it will be like walking on eggshells to deal with him. People seem to be wording the emails in a very nice apologetic way. But get abrasive responses. I find this uncomfortable.

I don't know exactly the question. Just wondering what others have done with people like this.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:31 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Try and work around him as much as possible.

If someone insists on you having to work directly with him seek new employment. They always keep *****holes around like him for whatever reason.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:11 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,674,035 times
How to Deal With an Abrasive Boss

Dealing with abrasive personalities

Dealing with abrasive managers

Quote:
Here's the key, and it may be a surprise: abrasive bosses seek, above all, to be perceived as competent. When they think subordinates are performing below par - correctly or otherwise - they experience this as a threat to their competence, which requires top performance from the entire unit. In the face of this threat to their very survival - for they see their career as dependent on being competent - they will act against those letting down the team.

This is the hard part to grasp: when bosses are abusive, over-controlling and undermining, it might seem personal to you but to the abrasive boss it's all about their own survival, which depends on their perceptions of competence

Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 AM

mmmkay. So people are as...holes for their on benefit. I think everyone knows that. This just says they are ass-holes because they must look good and can't find a productive way of doing that.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:39 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I posted before about a job I recently started. I have been cc'd on various emails. I noticed that when anyone asks a question to this supervisor (I'm not sure if that he's a supervisor, but he is below the manager), he comes back with an abrasive response. It seems like people are asking legitimate questions, in response to instructions or changes emailed to entire departments.

I know people outside of work like this. I avoid them like the plague. But have never dealt with people like this in a managerial type position. I have assessed already that it will be like walking on eggshells to deal with him. People seem to be wording the emails in a very nice apologetic way. But get abrasive responses. I find this uncomfortable.

I don't know exactly the question. Just wondering what others have done with people like this.
Many times having to work for/with someone unpleasant teaches you more than not having to. Learn how NOT to treat others. No matter what line of work you're in you are going to meet these types. You'll be a lot better off if you learn how to deal with them sooner than later. Also remember that email communication can be misinterpreted because there is no "tone" to it. If this supervisor was responding in person you might get a whole different impression from the same answer. FWIW, you did say you've only been working there a short time? There may be backstory you aren't aware of yet.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:19 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,155,294 times
Small red snapper,rolled up in a tube sock,stuffed in a planter or desk drawer.
Send a message,and start documenting the behaviour to HR. Some people are born below hards ,and cant seem to use some happiness.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Many times having to work for/with someone unpleasant teaches you more than not having to. Learn how NOT to treat others. No matter what line of work you're in you are going to meet these types. You'll be a lot better off if you learn how to deal with them sooner than later. Also remember that email communication can be misinterpreted because there is no "tone" to it. If this supervisor was responding in person you might get a whole different impression from the same answer. FWIW, you did say you've only been working there a short time? There may be backstory you aren't aware of yet.

Yeah it's true it would be good if I can learn to deal with difficult people. I just don't have it in me. I'm straightforward and fair. The majority of people out there appreciate that and are the same. I'm pretty sure I don't have the capacity to deal with people who are just jerks. I try, but I don't get anywhere. If it was a matter of just being offended, I can deal with that. But problems, just don't get solved. I can just leave the business and be in a nicer environment. Nothing is worth dealing with that.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Small red snapper,rolled up in a tube sock,stuffed in a planter or desk drawer.
Send a message,and start documenting the behaviour to HR. Some people are born below hards ,and cant seem to use some happiness.

Funny, I'm out the door. But I will need to come in tomorrow to give reports. I should find something gross to put near his desk..lol. They have cameras everywhere. But at this point, what will they do about it.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Duplicate topic. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment