Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

Hello.
I am 24 and have started working as a teller at a credit union almost two months ago. A position at my workplace has opened up for a financial services representative. All internal employees can try for this job. We were also told everyone who applies will be given an interview. I'm not sure what to do. I kind of want to try for it but I don't know if I stand a chance.

One thing I think might help me is that a two year degree is preferred. I will earn my two year degree in business in May. I just think of how it pays more, and is something different. I think there's a possibility I would like this job better.

There is no doubt going to be competition for this position. I just worry I will look silly trying due to being fairly new.

I'm just stuck with the idea really. I want to try, but I don't want it to look bad. But then I see this opportunity and I feel I could do it, and do the job very well.

Should I just forget about it and move on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 PM

607 posts, read 979,741 times
Go for it. You are young but you gotta learn you will not rise without going balls out and getting after it. Submit an application and practice interviewing.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,708,719 times
Do it

Why would it look silly? Worst they can say is no

Old 03-16-2019, 02:53 AM

178 posts, read 147,995 times
You should go for it. Here’s why:

1. Even if you think you don’t stand a chance you will gain valuable experience by participating in the process. You can learn how to prep for a job interview if nothing else.

2. You might actually get the job.

3. You will show your managers that you have ambition and that you want to get ahead.

4. Going for the job is all upside and no downside. If you don’t get the new job you will still have your current job.

Final piece of advice: you are young and at the beginning of your work life. Keep in mind that your primary responsibility in life is to look out for yourself. It is true that opportunity can come knocking on your door (or not), but it is also true that you will have more opportunities throughout your work life if you actively search for those opportunities. It can be a bitter pill to look back as the years go by and think to yourself that you missed some opportunities simply because you didn’t take action. Better, in my view, to look back and think to yourself that you did the best you could whenever an opportunity arose.

Good luck in any event...

Last edited by Brookboy; 03-16-2019 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,064,598 times
Definitely apply, but understand you aren’t likely to get it. With minimal (2 months) experience they are likely to hire somebody from your company with more.

That is ok. What you are really doing is signaling your desire to move up, as well as gaining a bit of knowledge about the internal hiring process at your company. The next time a similar position opens up, youwill have more work experience, the degree, and will have gone through the interview once before so you will be better prepared.

Good luck.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:27 AM

12,869 posts, read 9,089,277 times
What they all said. The absolute worst thing that can happen is you gain experience interviewing for the next time.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:49 AM

3,071 posts, read 2,411,732 times
Worst case scenario, you don't get the job. It's all upside.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:18 AM

134 posts, read 113,853 times
Go for it. Applying shows management you are interested in a career with them. And the process would give you some valuable interview experience.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS776 View Post
Hello.
I am 24 and have started working as a teller at a credit union almost two months ago. A position at my workplace has opened up for a financial services representative. All internal employees can try for this job. We were also told everyone who applies will be given an interview. I'm not sure what to do. I kind of want to try for it but I don't know if I stand a chance.

One thing I think might help me is that a two year degree is preferred. I will earn my two year degree in business in May. I just think of how it pays more, and is something different. I think there's a possibility I would like this job better.

There is no doubt going to be competition for this position. I just worry I will look silly trying due to being fairly new.

I'm just stuck with the idea really. I want to try, but I don't want it to look bad. But then I see this opportunity and I feel I could do it, and do the job very well.

Should I just forget about it and move on?
Having worked in the CU space for a good part of my career (Cybersecurity, not Operations) - I think your chances will depend on how well you are doing at the teller position, what the qualifications are, and how the CU handles career progressions. Which isn't really different from any other company...

In the end, applying simply shows interest. It may also give you more info on what the job entails. If you want to move up, you need to better understand what it takes. And even if you don't get it this time, you may want to start taking on those responsibilities so you can position yourself to get it the next time a similar position opens. There's no better way to show you qualify than to actually be performing some of the responsibilities.

I'm sure others may say that you should not do more unless you are paid more. But, that's your decision. It becomes a chicken/egg debate. IMO - you have to put in the work at some point. You can make your own opportunity, or wait for it to be given to you.

I will say if you are with a good CU, try and stay with them. This is one industry where I feel many treat their people well. After all, the mission is often to serve the membership - not solely to increase revenue. It's essentially the best of different worlds - public sector stability, non-profit culture, and private sector budget (again, if you're with a good CU).

Old 03-16-2019, 02:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
Somebody will get the job.

It will be the person that's not afraid of looking silly to apply.

Your ego is getting in the way of your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment