Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times

Advertisements

Is it time to join an e-sports league to prepare for the new job market of the future?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-j...-idUSKCN1QZ15D

NEW YORK (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co is testing neuroscience-based video games to help recruit interns, as it seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce by broadening its candidate pool.

The bank is piloting technology from pymetrics, a startup whose games help companies assess applicants’ social, cognitive and behavioral features, such as attention, memory and altruism, Matt Mitro, JPMorgan’s head of campus recruiting, said in an interview.

To identify which potential interns might be best suited for a job, the platform measures a candidate’s attributes against those of a firm’s successful employees. This helps companies make their assessments more data-based than traditional processes.

Over the past few months, entry level employees at JPMorgan across the world played the pymetrics’ games, which were then played by hundreds of candidates for a limited number of full-time roles, Mitro said.

Mitro said employment history is a good indicator of fit for experienced workers, but with recent college graduates, resumes have less predictive value. That prompted JPMorgan to test pymetrics’ technology with entry-level candidates, who are usually just starting their careers.

Large firms have been increasingly turning to technology to make recruitment and other human resources processes more fair. Systems also include applications that scan performance reviews for unconscious bias or that monitor job ads for phrases that might dissuade a certain demographic from applying.

“Our re-imagining of how we hire is part of a broader objective at the firm where we are asking ourselves: ‘Can we better meet our diversity goals by broadening the pool of candidates we are considering?’,” Mitro said.

JPMorgan’s pilot will continue with applicants for 2020 internships in the United States, he added, noting that this technology would only be one step of the selection process.

Pymetric’s clients also include Unilever Plc and Accenture Plc, according to its website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
So, no more meritocracy. Gotta game the system.

Oh wait, how is that different from things now?

Old 03-20-2019, 09:41 PM

607 posts, read 978,344 times
LinkedIn does this. Press the space bar as fast as you can. So dumb.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
This only applies to entry level jobs which usually is based on paper skills and whether the candidates meet the background checks. This game just gives them a randomness to the hiring than based on initial likability.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,568 times
"assess applicants’ social, cognitive and behavioral features, such as attention, memory and altruism".

Excuse me?!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:19 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
"assess applicants’ social, cognitive and behavioral features, such as attention, memory and altruism".

Excuse me?!
Those are valid features to test since many young people entering the work force lack social skills, work ethics, have short attention spans, and just can't stay off their phones for more than short periods. I'm sure employers don't want those kinds of employees.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:24 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Makes me want to apply for job just to play the game lol...

Old 03-21-2019, 06:30 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Those are valid features to test since many young people entering the work force lack social skills, work ethics, have short attention spans, and just can't stay off their phones for more than short periods. I'm sure employers don't want those kinds of employees.
Cognitive and personality assessments are normal for a lot jobs. They're just usually done in the form of a multiple choice questionnaire instead of a "game." But really that's all the game is doing it sounds like. Just a different way of doing the same assessment.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:44 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,711,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Cognitive and personality assessments are normal for a lot jobs. They're just usually done in the form of a multiple choice questionnaire instead of a "game." But really that's all the game is doing it sounds like. Just a different way of doing the same assessment.
Yes, perhaps why these companies are doing this in a game is so that the potential employees don't get bored taking the test and either drop off or go play on their phones. Gotta make it fun!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:10 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post

Excuse me?!
Altruism "Yes, I'm willing to work 100 hours a week, I am so generous toward the company providing it tons of free labor."

social features: "I don't have a social life so I can work 100 hours a week."

cognitive features "I don't know that uncompensated overtime is corporate welfare."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment