Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 06:11 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I can't speak to what another company does. There are no federal laws limiting the amount of overtime an employee can work, and very few states address the matter. What law was supposedly violated regarding too much overtime?
Oh well, where I live, the law stipulates that an emloyee in that profession does not have to work over 44 hours a week if they do not want to, accept for certain types of professions, but not that one. The employer changed the hours for everyone from 40 a week to 61, and threatened to fire anyone who didn't put in 61 hours a week. Not sure the exact specific name of that law, but it says you can refuse if it's over 44 hours, and cannot be fired for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh well, where I live, the law stipulates that an emloyee in that profession does not have to work over 44 hours a week if they do not want to, accept for certain types of professions, but not that one. The employer changed the hours for everyone from 40 a week to 61, and threatened to fire anyone who didn't put in 61 hours a week. Not sure the exact specific name of that law, but it says you can refuse if it's over 44 hours, and cannot be fired for it.
Ironpony, the only laws I know of that limit amount of hours required to work are positions such as airline pilot, truck driver etc. As someone mentioned there is no federal law limiting (most jobs) required hours. A few states do have some limitations but no where close to 44 hours.

Can you share the State/County/City where you live? It's possible it might be a more local ordinance. It should be easy to verify.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:52 PM

I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. The law says that you do not have to work over 44 hours a week, unless in certain types of jobs that may call for it.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada. The law says that you do not have to work over 44 hours a week, unless in certain types of jobs that may call for it.
OK thanks. I'm familiar with US employment law but ignorant of our Great White North neighbors.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:59 PM

Oh yeah for sure, no problem of course . But doesn't the US have some sort of law that says a boss cannot make employees work a certain number of hours a week, or isn't there a legal limit in which the employee is allowed to refuse if they want to?

Old 05-01-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah for sure, no problem of course . But doesn't the US have some sort of law that says a boss cannot make employees work a certain number of hours a week, or isn't there a legal limit in which the employee is allowed to refuse if they want to?
No limitations federally (other than some professions), a couple of states do have some limitations but nothing close to 44 hours a week.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 AM

Oh okay. So in the US, if your boss wanted you to work a full week, and I mean 168 hours a week, than you wouldn't be able to refuse it then?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:06 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
ianal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
My understanding is that management has a lot of discretion in hiring and firing where the arrangement is employent-at-will. No notice or reason is required.

I have been told by a lawyer that if a company has a written policy, they need to follow the written policy.

Imagine this scenario:

Lawyer: Why did you fire my client Bill?

Manager: Because he was wearing a blue shirt. I think it's an ugly color. Which I'm allowed to do. Our policy is managers and can hire and fire as they see fit.

Lawyer: But the day after you fired my client, another employee named Joe wore a blue shirt. You did not fire that person. You also have no written policy on shirt color.
Quote:
Manager: The next day I changed my mind about blue shirts. Which I am allowed to do. Our company lets managers make whatever decisions they need to, and change those decisions as they see fit. I didn't fire Bill because of race, sex, sexual orientation or anything else you can sue over. You don't have to agree with my decision, but I had the legal right to make them.
in the u.s., one has the rite to sue for practically any reason (even if the coffee is too hot); although, you mite not win ...
Quote:
Can the Lawyer use this as proof of discrimination? If the Lawyer can point out Bill is a different race from Joe, can he say it's just unreasonable for believe it was really a matter of shirt color?
unless the lawyer is a mind-reader there is no proof. just reasonable suspicion that the manager is committing fraud.
Quote:
Or is the manager secure in saying he had the right to make those decisions, no matter how arbitrary they seem?
if the manager doesnt mind the cost and hassle of having to defend his suspicious choices in court with the possibility of a judge or jury finding them at fault and losing their business license and having to pay fines and restitution.

in either case, bill will be qualified to apply for unemployment benefits which will increase the managers u.i. insurance premiums.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:23 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Oh okay. So in the US, if your boss wanted you to work a full week, and I mean 168 hours a week, than you wouldn't be able to refuse it then?
au pairs, nanny, home health aids, butler, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment