Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:43 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
My job is completely self-managed and directed. If I miss a deadline, it's all on me. I have a list of places that need inspections (I'm a health inspector in a county government), I get them done by X date, and X many inspections a year overall and per restaurant. I have zero teamwork in my job. I only go into the office once a week, so I rarely see my coworkers. Since I manage my own projects, I can take my vacation basically any time I want, and for the most part, have very flexible schedules. I'm having a bad day, I can visit easier places, or if I'm working up towards a vacation, I can work faster. As long as they get done by the deadline.

This is my first job out of college.
You and I share a lot of the same latitude when it comes to our discretion on how to do our jobs. Your very lucky to get a job like this early in your career and I'm happy you.

It took me 11 years to get to the position I'm at. Mainly because the position requires not only knowledge but the ability to make fluid decisions on quickly changing dynamics. The only way to make these decision effectively is from experience. One unique aspect of my autonomy is that I almost never interact with any of my supervisors unless its at a time I desire. Meaning, my supervisors never check up on what I'm doing or even ask if everything has been done. Unless I tell them I haven't done something, its just assumed I did it. The only time I get called to talk to a supervisor is the rare time (1-3 times a month) when they need my help with something extra. I'm lucky enough to be friends with my supervisors so I actually go see them more often just to hang out over going to see them because they need me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
As someone entry-level, I would prefer a little less autonomy, just to get put on the right tracks. Know that I'm doing things right and paying attention and learning the right things. Sometimes when I'm really unsure I can call a co-worker or two, but it would be nice to have them there with me to see their interpretation, as it sometimes is a lot more nuanced than I can describe over the phone.
You know that is an excellent point. I recall having some extremely difficult assignments when I first started my career. These were tasks that had extremely rigid timelines, specific manner in which I had to do things and things my supervisors would check up on to make sure they were done properly. At the time I resented going into work. Don't get me wrong, most of my peers and supervisors were nice people, I just have an independent spirit so I resent any type of control over my actions. However, looking back I'm glad I was forced to do those assignments. This is because now when I tackle any task at work I almost never have any doubt that I'm doing in the best manner possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 04:01 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
ive turned down better paying jobs because of this

I make my own schedule every week ..
go to different accounts … training and trouble-shooting

love my job and my autonomy

Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
My two professional careers have been in teaching and mental health. In both of those there has been a strong component of the team approach which I value very much. There are many ways to solve a single problem and a team which works well together spreads responsibility as well as increases the probably of finding solutions.

I like the idea of knowing what the desired effect is and the general guidelines in which it is to be achieved and having autonomy to play my part in achieving it. I also like the idea of having a team to seek out for support and options and doing the same for others.

Both teaching and community mental health have a from the top down flow of direction but the concept of teamwork helps diffuse the perception that one is taking orders and applying them at work. That's never been a very satisfying or creative way for me to work.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:06 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
At my previous job, my boss was a micromanager. I can never go back to that kind of environment again.

My current boss is accessible but hands off, which is perfect. I manage my workflow and as long as I'm getting everything done and my boss isn't getting questions or complaints, all is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment