Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:35 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,721,189 times

Advertisements

Would you actively look for career advancement if you are planning on having baby soon? If you have a safe, comfortable position at this point. Would you look to challenge yourself or take on new role for purpose of going somewhere all while hoping to have baby soon. Soon as in, as soon as you can get pregnant which is no guarantee. It might take years to get pregnant or never or one can be pregnant with in a month, not much control over this.

This is specifically for female. I don't mean to be sexist but the reality is a women's life changes significantly after having baby vs. man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:55 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,258,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Would you actively look for career advancement if you are planning on having baby soon? If you have a safe, comfortable position at this point. Would you look to challenge yourself or take on new role for purpose of going somewhere all while hoping to have baby soon. Soon as in, as soon as you can get pregnant which is no guarantee. It might take years to get pregnant or never or one can be pregnant with in a month, not much control over this.

This is specifically for female. I don't mean to be sexist but the reality is a women's life changes significantly after having baby vs. man.
depends on a lot of other factors. what is the spouse's job and what kind of flexibility does he have? does the husband have a lot of flexibility and will he be able to share in the burden of maybe calling in sick if the baby is sick? or is it all going to fall on the wife? does the couple need more income and thus advancing would help out financially? or will the couple be financially secure with their current salaries?

many things to consider i think...

Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,241,593 times
Before kids, I would have said go for it.

After kids, I'd say no, it's not worth the stress and burnout. I took a few years off but maintained a foot in the industry. Now, my kids are barely school age and I'm in full swing again. It went by quickly in hindsight. We lived on a very tight budget those years with no regrets. Most of my fellow professionals did the same.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM

I came here to make a post about the very topic I made post 3 years ago. I had a Dejavu feeling and went looking at my history & found this. Here I am 3 years later, still in same predicament. I don't have a kid yet, did have a miscarriage & slowing starting our fertility aid journey. I still think about future family needs.

I am comfortable in my position. I have flexible hours & I have been here almost 10 years with good reputation. No one micromanages me & I can easily see myself taking extra time off or adjusting my schedule big time as I please (to certain extent). But I am somewhat bored & feel like I should achieve more (aim higher). I want to challenge myself & grow but I don't want to be stressed out or burnout. I saw friends who took the promotion only to leave work all together because work/life balance was too much. With my current job, I can manage work life balance even with baby. But time is ticking and baby is still imaginary. I feel like a cliché from the book Lean In where she talks about women quitting before they actually quit. Women mentally stop career progression & start family planning long before they have a family. I am that women, 3 years. Had I taken a move 3 years ago, I would have been set/comfortable by now in the new challenging role.

Financially I am happy where I am but mentally I feel like I am letting myself down. My husband has less flexibility at his work than me & that won't change. There is a posting in my group to go from research to marketing which will be a promotion for me. I don't have business background but this is a technical company & many before me made that transition. I think I can do the job but the business world is lot more cut throat & less forgiving than the technical world. I don't know if I want that now

Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,570,250 times
Why not? Husband could stay at home or is that a sexist remark these days?

Old 05-22-2019, 01:25 PM

3,030 posts, read 2,256,598 times
I did. In fact, when I got pregnant, I really ramped it up: got additional certifications, presented at conferences, published papers, etc. With my first I did it because I was terrified of being "mommy-tracked," and I wanted to earn good raises to help pay for daycare. With my second and third children, I did it because it put me in a better place for when I returned after maternity leave. Honestly, even with a relatively flexible job, each kid meant serious productivity losses that first year of life due to the stress of balancing work/home, PPD, daycare germs, doctor's appointments, etc. And that's assuming you have a healthy child without special needs.

FWIW, my youngest starts kindergarten this fall, and NOW I feel like I want to coast career-wise. I have achieved a lot professionally, and my oldest is only 5 years away from college. I would have LOVED to spend more time with my kids when they were babies, but as they say, "Bigger kids come with bigger problems." So I don't regret changing fewer diapers if it means that now I am around to help with puberty, bullying, anxiety, etc. Though the diapers were a lot more fun!

Good luck on your fertility journey, and I am sorry for your loss.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM

66 posts, read 64,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

Sure, you do what you have to do. Just know that there will be some who will be angry if you fight for a position they are also interested in, and then six months down the road announce you're going on maternity leave for six months.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,004,497 times
I wouldn't have kids period this day in age. But thats me. No job security regardless of what level on the food chain you fall. Its all gone. We're probably due for a nasty recession in the coming years as well. Why risk it?

Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Why not? Husband could stay at home or is that a sexist remark these days?
I rather not have anyone quit their job to stay home. I prefer both of us taking lower key job that allows lot of flexibility so we can both be involved in family and have career. Instead of one person earning a lot while the other earns nothing.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I did. In fact, when I got pregnant, I really ramped it up: got additional certifications, presented at conferences, published papers, etc. With my first I did it because I was terrified of being "mommy-tracked," and I wanted to earn good raises to help pay for daycare. With my second and third children, I did it because it put me in a better place for when I returned after maternity leave. Honestly, even with a relatively flexible job, each kid meant serious productivity losses that first year of life due to the stress of balancing work/home, PPD, daycare germs, doctor's appointments, etc. And that's assuming you have a healthy child without special needs.

FWIW, my youngest starts kindergarten this fall, and NOW I feel like I want to coast career-wise. I have achieved a lot professionally, and my oldest is only 5 years away from college. I would have LOVED to spend more time with my kids when they were babies, but as they say, "Bigger kids come with bigger problems." So I don't regret changing fewer diapers if it means that now I am around to help with puberty, bullying, anxiety, etc. Though the diapers were a lot more fun!

Good luck on your fertility journey, and I am sorry for your loss.
Wow 3 kids and all the work you did is impressive. I have directors and business managers in my company who went on maternity leave and came back full swing. I don't know how you girls do it but it is impressive. I do think older kids need parents more than babies because that is when they are learning to navigate the world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment