Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:43 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Are you sure they understand what minimum requirements are?
For example my resume contained several very high level hard to obtain skills, but didn't list "proficiency in Microsoft word and power point". Then an internal HR recruiter told me that "XXMYNAME, you don't have any presentation skills", and I never heard from them again. Obviously I made documents and presentations many times before. I also flush the toilet and type on a computer keyboard on a regular basis. It is assumed by most professionals that people with high level skills also have or can easily self learn any low level skills also. So people typically don't list things like this on their resume, while in some cases it may appear on job descriptions.
More likely the standard assumption is engineers don't have any presentation skills unless their resume clearly shows it. That's one of the key things I look for in a engineer's resume is something that shows they can present information and communicate with others, esp non engineers who fund projects. It falls under "written and oral communication."

Quote:
Some times different naming conventions or synonyms are used. For example "experience with circuit boards" may be listed on the job skill list, but my resume has "PCBs", and the HR person rejects me for not having experience with circuit boards, even though PCBs and cards are listed.
What is obvious to you, HR people may be oblivious to it. You cannot let them reject a single one.
You should never use acronyms and shorthand in a resume because they don't mean to same to all people. For example where I am most of the engineers will interpret PCBs as Polychlorinated Biphenyls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 03:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Are you sure they understand what minimum requirements are?
For example my resume contained several very high level hard to obtain skills, but didn't list "proficiency in Microsoft word and power point". Then an internal HR recruiter told me that "XXMYNAME, you don't have any presentation skills", and I never heard from them again. Obviously I made documents and presentations many times before. I also flush the toilet and type on a computer keyboard on a regular basis. It is assumed by most professionals that people with high level skills also have or can easily self learn any low level skills also. So people typically don't list things like this on their resume, while in some cases it may appear on job descriptions.
Some times different naming conventions or synonyms are used. For example "experience with circuit boards" may be listed on the job skill list, but my resume has "PCBs", and the HR person rejects me for not having experience with circuit boards, even though PCBs and cards are listed.
What is obvious to you, HR people may be oblivious to it. You cannot let them reject a single one.
Why on earth would you use acronyms or naming conventions that are particular to a specific office or limited set of offices? That’s just asking someone to toss your resume in the “no” bin. If they ask for presentation skills and experience in circuit boards, put that you have that experience in plain language. It is not that hard. Presumably if they want someone who can make presentations, they may also want someone who can make presentations in language that a layperson can understand. It is NOT assumed that people with high-level skills can necessarily present or explain skills to lower level folks or people outside the field. That is particularly the case when they use acronyms that aren’t used in the job description. If the job description says it, then go ahead and use it, but if it does not, you can safely assume that HR is not going to be looking for it.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Why on earth would you use acronyms or naming conventions that are particular to a specific office or limited set of offices? That’s just asking someone to toss your resume in the “no” bin. If they ask for presentation skills and experience in circuit boards, put that you have that experience in plain language. It is not that hard. Presumably if they want someone who can make presentations, they may also want someone who can make presentations in language that a layperson can understand. It is NOT assumed that people with high-level skills can necessarily present or explain skills to lower level folks or people outside the field. That is particularly the case when they use acronyms that aren’t used in the job description. If the job description says it, then go ahead and use it, but if it does not, you can safely assume that HR is not going to be looking for it.
There are naming conventions everywhere, there is no plain enough language to describe certain things.
I think what they were focusing on was whether the candidate is able to operate MS word. Not about presentations to plain people. I make presentations for factory technicians sometimes, the level of explanation is very basic.
Some HR recruiter person on a phone screening tried to assess my technical skill set, and was asking in a very cynical tone, trying to catch a liar or something. When I figure out what he really meant and trying to explain to him its the same thing, he already made up his mind that I don't have that "skill".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment