Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 AM

6 posts, read 10,621 times

Advertisements

So, I just started a job as a grocery store cashier. Today was my fourth day on the job and I've never closed with this store before, but today would be the first night I do this. I was running the register and for some reason, I ended up $20 over in my cash register, when their limit is $10. I was screaming in my head when I heard this from the sales assistant after she counted my drawer. I'm still on a mandatory probation and I already screwed up BIG time. My sales assistant told me that my manager will "have a talk" with me once they find out, and I want to throw up. I know she's just looking out for me by letting me know about this. But I know that I might get fired, I just don't understand why it's happening.

I check, double check, and triple check my money before I hand it to the customer. Always. Even in a rush, I am as thorough as I can be. I'm making sure no bills are stuck together, counting down to the penny out loud, whatever I need to feel comfortable. Yet I keep winding up grossly over the POS limit, the sales assistants who count my drawer (cashiers are not allowed to count their own drawers) keep saying "watch your money" and to just pay attention. How can I avoid ending up with such horrid overages? It's driving me crazy. It's already stressful enough when you're being told to that the manager will "have a conniption" of the carts aren't even or that you "will get written up" if a bag is thrown away. I'm aware of the pressure this job brings, that's why I try to balance my money down to the cent. But this ends up happening. This happened once at my last job, and I fear it's coming back to haunt me.

What am I doing wrong? How is this still an issue? Am I just too stupid to know how to count?

Last edited by KittyGoRoar222; 08-30-2019 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: Phrased some things wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 02:14 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyGoRoar222 View Post
So, I just started a job as a grocery store cashier. Today was my fourth day on the job and I've never closed with this store before, but today would be the first night I do this. I was running the register and for some reason, I ended up $20 over in my cash register, when their limit is $10. I was screaming in my head when I heard this from the sales assistant after she counted my drawer. I'm still on a mandatory probation and I already screwed up BIG time. My sales assistant told me that my manager will "have a talk" with me once they find out, and I want to throw up. I know she's just looking out for me by letting me know about this. But I know that I might get fired, I just don't understand why it's happening.

I check, double check, and triple check my money before I hand it to the customer. Always. Even in a rush, I am as thorough as I can be. I'm making sure no bills are stuck together, counting down to the penny out loud, whatever I need to feel comfortable. Yet I keep winding up grossly over the POS limit, the sales assistants who count my drawer (cashiers are not allowed to count their own drawers) keep saying "watch your money" and to just pay attention. How can I avoid ending up with such horrid overages? It's driving me crazy. It's already stressful enough when you're being told to that the manager will "have a conniption" of the carts aren't even or that you "will get written up" if a bag is thrown away. I'm aware of the pressure this job brings, that's why I try to balance my money down to the cent. But this ends up happening. This happened once at my last job, and I fear it's coming back to haunt me.

What am I doing wrong? How is this still an issue? Am I just too stupid to know how to count?
Not knowing your store policy or the personalities of your managers, maybe it would help to get proactive. You know there's obviously some problem. Before they call YOU onto the carpet for this why not go to THEM and say you need help. Demonstrate that you are well aware and want to fix whatever it is, but are at a loss. You obviously care. Why not say so? Why not ask for a different routine for counting the drawer, more practice while off the floor, or training before they have to come to you over it? Showing some initiative could earn you some breathing room.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not knowing your store policy or the personalities of your managers, maybe it would help to get proactive. You know there's obviously some problem. Before they call YOU onto the carpet for this why not go to THEM and say you need help. Demonstrate that you are well aware and want to fix whatever it is, but are at a loss. You obviously care. Why not say so? Why not ask for a different routine for counting the drawer, more practice while off the floor, or training before they have to come to you over it? Showing some initiative could earn you some breathing room.
The thing is, you don't know it's happening until they come to you. Cashiers don't see what's going on in the back room, and we're not allowed to count drawers ourselves. The only way I can address the issue is by their say so, and then working from there.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Maybe you should learn how to count back the change rather than relying on the machine? Does anyone know how to do that anymore?

Old 08-30-2019, 08:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I would suggest that they are not paying you enough to suffer from so much stress. Yes, it's possible that you just are not concentrating enough, but it's also possible that the person "counting your drawer" messed up. I once supervised 23 people of which several took cash payments (at a utility) and had to fail several on probation due to being over or short too often. Back then there was no automation, and no credit/debit cards. It was all checks or cash, counting back the change. Being $20 off was rare, most were less than $10 over or short, but it was the frequency of the errors that was more important than the amounts. When the senior (lead) person found the overage or shortage I would go back and count with the lead and the cashier, all 3 of us together to eliminate any possible counting error.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:28 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Are you allowed to count your drawer at the beginning of your shift to make sure it was correct to start with? It's possible that it was $20 over to begin with and you did nothing wrong.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
What is the process for counting the drawer? Like emm74 asked, do you count it before your shift to know that it is even? Can you have another person count it to make sure the overage is accurate?

When you hand the money pack to the customer, are you counting it and putting it in their hand? I used to always count the change in my hand, then hand it to the customer and recount it to them. That is a way to double check what you are doing.

I agree with what another poster said and be proactive and ask for help. I am not understanding why you would have to wait.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:58 AM

438 posts, read 376,154 times
Personally I've never been in a cashier position were I wasn't allowed to count my register amount first and then have the cashier lead check and confirm the amount or bring to my attention that there was a discrepancy.

Keep vigilant and alert when you're at work to ensure the mistakes are at a minimum. Maybe stretch or meditate, something calming right before work to put your mind in the right place so you can concentrate on the cash exchange better. Added stress and worry will just make you constantly second guess yourself which could lead to more issues.

If it has happened multiple times and no customer has come asking for their money back then it's possible management is messing up (maybe even on purpose) and you should start searching for work elsewhere since eventually they'll blame you and it would be better to leave and start anew versus being accused of theft and fired.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:07 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I cant imagine being off that often and that much in an age where debit cards are the norm.

How many cash customers do u get in a day?

Back in the 90s I was a cashier for a supermarket and 70% or so paid cash the rest check, and I was off a few times.

If youre already real careful maybe time for a new job

Old 08-30-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What is the process for counting the drawer? Like emm74 asked, do you count it before your shift to know that it is even? Can you have another person count it to make sure the overage is accurate?

When you hand the money pack to the customer, are you counting it and putting it in their hand? I used to always count the change in my hand, then hand it to the customer and recount it to them. That is a way to double check what you are doing.

I agree with what another poster said and be proactive and ask for help. I am not understanding why you would have to wait.
I'm not told what that process is. They just go into this little back room and count the drawers that way. I'm not allowed to even go back there. That day, the lady counting my drawer told me that the drawer I'm running was already eight dollars under prior to me getting on it. I also ran out of tens and ones during my shift and had to call it in so they would be replaced.

I have done exactly what you suggested, and the customers had no complaints. I even had one of them speak very highly of me at the customer service desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment