Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times

Advertisements

Personality & a good work ethic are great assets. You should not have gone into private files, that is enough to get you fired. Don't do it again. Next time the boss mentions a pay rise, try & tie him down to an amount & a start date. Otherwise it means nothing. Good luck on finding a new job. Don't give up looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 11:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Don't worry about your look if you are somewhat professional. Just be a good worker and if you feel underpaid/undervalued, look for a new job and company.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:44 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDmenen View Post
I knew I would be getting R5000 but at the time id just relocated to the city im in now so i was running out of money and needed to take this job so yeah when i saw that most my colleges earn over 10k per month i was more sad then upset... my boss keeps hinting at a raise but that also scares me cause some bosses just do that to keep you working hard and never end up giving you a raise

So ask directly! Literally walk into his or her office, say, "Hey, do you have a minute?" and if they say yes... ask for a raise! If R5000 is truly "subsistence level", they're going to recognize that. Have examples of your work that shows value. Don't threaten to quit, but you can certainly leave something on the table like "It's way more expensive here than I realized, and if I can't get up to a reasonable level, I'm going to have to leave, and I'd hate to have that happen, I really enjoy working here!"

I know... your fear is that they won't see the value, that they'll be upset with you for asking, that you'll be seen as "greedy". But if that's what they believe, you're going to be a slave there for the rest of your career. Wouldn't you rather find that out and move on than sit around, scraping by, vainly hoping that one day they'll just walk up to you and hand you money? Nobody's going to do that. The best you'll ever get is a cost-of-living increase unless you ask for and demonstrate your worth for more.

I've had two distinct occasions in my life where I did just that. Many years ago, I was working as a sort of "IT assistant" for $35K Six months in, I was handling most of the day-to-day "help desk" questions, server builds, had stood up a firewall and file server using Linux, etc. I walked into my bosses bosses office and basically said, "I'm really under market here." He said you're absolutely right, how about we bump you to $55K? I said that'll work, and went about the rest of my day with a big smile on my face.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Sorry but I'll continue to give this advice to all Afrikaners - Leave South Africa.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Well getting paid enough to at least have a disposable income that can help me move forward, cause right now I feel so ****ing stuck (cant even save a penny for a rainy day )
In many cases the corporate world rewards...yes, even sociopaths (they make good CEOs).

There are decent companies and people who understand the abilities and the worth of people. But there are many which do not.

If you are smart you can surely find something or somewhere that pays you for it. Working for yourself (if possible) is highly recommended if possible as that will likely triple your worth. But it takes some thinking and risk.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
To the people here who are telling me to revamp my look please keep in mind i told you MY MONEY HARDLY COVERS MY BASIC NEEDS how must i go shopping at this point i cant even afford clothes from cheap china shops
You don't have to be dumb or sexy, but attitude really does help. Act as helpful and interested as you can be comfortable without being fake, know the difference between being professional and unapproachable. Not everyone is a natural "schmoozer" but maybe a little small talk, compliments, support?

Ask the person who has some authority for a raise. Have you? Explain that your pay does not support you adequately. Do a little research on what your position averages in your area, and have some facts to support you. "This is the going rate for a position similar to mine, I don't feel I'm getting paid competitively. Is there something else I can do to increase my wage?"

Good Luck, but keep looking!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
To the people here who are telling me to revamp my look please keep in mind i told you MY MONEY HARDLY COVERS MY BASIC NEEDS how must i go shopping at this point i cant even afford clothes from cheap china shops

Is moving back home with your parents an option? It got me through grad school here in the States.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:40 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
I knew I would be getting R5000 but at the time id just relocated to the city im in now so i was running out of money and needed to take this job so yeah when i saw that most my colleges earn over 10k per month i was more sad then upset... my boss keeps hinting at a raise but that also scares me cause some bosses just do that to keep you working hard and never end up giving you a raise
No one who uses words like "im" and "id" should ever be paid more than $100 a week.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:14 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No one who uses words like "im" and "id" should ever be paid more than $100 a week.
This isn’t her thesis, she’s posting on an Internet forum.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:01 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Acting "dumb" isn't going to help you. Your best bet is to knock it out of the park, and then go to your manager and say, "Look, I'm underpaid. I know it, you know it. What are we going to do to fix that?"
OK, and when the boss asks "how do you know I know that?" Can't mention the personnel files the OP saw.

Quote:
Because, after all, if R5000 per month isn't enough to survive, you have nothing to lose, right?
Wrong. She can't survive on unemployment benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment