Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 11:33 AM

197 posts, read 98,022 times

Advertisements

Going into the office Monday-Friday feels like entering chaos zone. I have to use my weekends to actually concentrate and get things done. My team's productivity goes through the roof when my manager is gone on a business trip or vacataion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
How so? Micromanaging? Pointless tasks? Poor communication?

Old 07-24-2019, 11:41 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
I can relate OP! The manager I had created a very hostile work environment within our department.

She would pit one employee against another; make up lies about those in our group; verbally attack one or more of us in our weekly meetings; and unjustly criticize us of wrong doings, etc.

As one member of our staff accurately described how it is to work for her: "Watch your back!!"

Old 07-24-2019, 12:27 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Step 1: brush up resume
Step 2: apply to jobs
Step 3: practice interviewing
Step 4: accept new job

Old 07-24-2019, 12:42 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
"She would pit one employee against another; make up lies about those in our group; verbally attack one or more of us in our weekly meetings; and unjustly criticize us of wrong doings, etc."

had one of those, although it was "he".
"do you know what X said about you?"
"i heard you were out late last night."
"this job allows you to afford your wife."
"even if it was not your fault, you could have prevented it."

left after 18 months of that.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:41 PM

146 posts, read 100,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Step 1: brush up resume
Step 2: apply to jobs
Step 3: practice interviewing
Step 4: accept new job
I don't care for the passive approach. The manager will still be there for the next honest worker to encounter and slowly develop bouts of depression and angst. You need to be more considerate of the workforce and do your part to help weed out problems.

If my management was making things difficult for me you can damn well bet I would be documenting accordingly and escalating with their management regularly until the chaos is gone. I do not tolerate managers making my life difficult because of their own stupidity. Proving it can be difficult - it requires understanding from the higher management audience - but it should be pursued.

I've always worked on a "us against the world" team so I've rarely had this problem as managers were heavily depending on us to resolve a sizable workload of issues while they tell stories and keep customers off our back and thank us profusely when we take care of it. But there was one time where some snot out of college was made my manager and he tried put me on a PIP even though I was the SME and handling a majority of the workload. I got his ass shipped out somewhere else and haven't heard from him since. You should confront these problems instead of running from them, in my opinion.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:47 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Quote:
I don't care for the passive approach. The manager will still be there for the next honest worker to encounter and slowly develop bouts of depression and angst. You need to be more considerate of the workforce and do your part to help weed out problems.

If my management was making things difficult for me you can damn well bet I would be documenting accordingly and escalating with their management regularly until the chaos is gone. I do not tolerate managers making my life difficult because of their own stupidity. Proving it can be difficult - it requires understanding from the higher management audience - but it should be pursued.
And if you don't have that??
Trying to fight or rectify it, is all well and good....IF it's a hill you're willing to stake your job on.

Personally, I DO take the passive approach. I'm a brown-noser from way back.
-- assess the situation

-- will this manager be here long, HAS this manager been there for years, have they bounced from dept to dept, company to company? ARE THEY well liked by higher ups? are the higher ups in tune, or out to lunch? Is it well known how this manager is and it has already been allowed to continue? Have I seen this manager back down when a worker sets him or her straight? Is their negative attention targeted to the weak? or does everyone get it?

-- and maybe first of all do I even plan to be there long -- regardless of that difficult manager. Because if I was looking to get out anyway, I really just might just try to keep my head down....

-- if I want to stay with the employer, then maybe:
-- I try to move/transfer departments or managers within a department
-- change days off or work times to avoid the person as much as possible

Failing all of that, I try to suck it up as much as possible. In the worst situations, ultimately a fight it or leave decision just may be to be made.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:17 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Sadly the only action today has to be on the employee's part. (Ie: start brushing up your resume and get another) Because you know. The comapany/Trouble maker's boss isn't responsible for ANYTHING. Theres probably already been 100 complaints lodged against the guy and it was all swept under the rug. Been in this situation too many times. Managers who are rotten to the core and nothing is ever done or completely incompetent and nothing is ever done. The company will be a revolving door of employees and the root problems of the turnover (Generally the management/Work culture) never get dealt with. Companies will gladly see themselves go bankrupt or bought out before they actually deal with their own stupidity and problems. Sad indictment on a silly/shameful/pathetic society we live in,

" You have a problem? Or you better start looking and leave". yea god forbid the troublemakers that create a hostile work environment , useless deadwood, rotten sociopaths are ever dealt with in this country you know?

The only answer these shameful organizations have is "Just leave the situation". Ummm... No!!! How about as an organization ELIMINATE Your root problems to improve things at your company? Try that for once. Before you have to close the company

Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertAnalysis View Post

I've always worked on a "us against the world" team so I've rarely had this problem as managers were heavily depending on us to resolve a sizable workload of issues while they tell stories and keep customers off our back and thank us profusely when we take care of it. But there was one time where some snot out of college was made my manager and he tried put me on a PIP even though I was the SME and handling a majority of the workload. I got his ass shipped out somewhere else and haven't heard from him since. You should confront these problems instead of running from them, in my opinion.
I tried this several times throughout my career. It didn't work. It is ideal, maybe the field you are in allows for that. Frankly, mine doesn't.

I have escalated issues and concerns, and the blow back has fallen on me. Every single time.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,765,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I tried this several times throughout my career. It didn't work. It is ideal, maybe the field you are in allows for that. Frankly, mine doesn't.

I have escalated issues and concerns, and the blow back has fallen on me. Every single time.

Agree, in my experience escalation rarely works and comes back to bite you. I've seen it happen numerous times and for that reason, I've never done it myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment