Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:16 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Don't worry/obssses over this too much. Work & be happy, but just keep your eyes & ears peeled for any kind of growth, transfers to new facilities, etc.
Yeah, i am trying to integrate new strategies, and I have discussed this with my boss. But in order to execute some of these things, I need more resources. I think to me that is the biggest problem. Is lack of resources to accomplish these new strategies I want to implement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
It took me awhile to admit it.......but I actually just like change. I'm attracted to newness and novelty (I have ADHD). I say that because I recently did what you just did. I had a job that paid ~$130K, boss was in a different location, I could work from home or go into a beautiful sales office, didn't work more than 40 hours, etc........I had peace but I was bored. I had to admit to myself that I actually like newness for novelty sake......and that's okay, it's how I'm wired.

So I took a promotion to the company's HQ, now have a team of 4 under me, and make closer to $160K. Immediately after I started, 2 employees left the team (was already in the making before I started), and the company wouldn't let me backfill them. I got my wish of newness, lol!!! But I was forced to work 4+nights/week and always stressed it wasn't enough to keep up. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have visions of my old peaceful role at times.

After nearly burning out myself, they let me hire up back to a full team and I'm back to a sense of normalcy now. Apologies for the rambling (see "ADHD" above, lol), I'm really just chiming in to say that I get it. It's okay to want what you want. The challenge is that the brain starts to desire a sort of "franken-career" wherein it's possible to have perfect benefits, low stress, peace AND a constant sense of newness and challenge. And we all know that's a small target to hit, and may not even exist.

You're craving the journey and not the end game and that's just fine if you ask me.
I hear you. I think that might be my issue to. If I look at myself on how I started, I studied architecture in order to become an architect, but then changed it to a general marketing career, then evolved it to public relations, then into content marketing and website strategy and analytics. Now I want to evolve into more UX Research and Design. I don't think my career path has changed radically (aside from what I studied), but it's evolved continously. My fear is that evolution will most likely slow down here. If I were near the end of my career I wouldn't care, but I am in the prime of my career.

I am still giving it a shot in this position, not going anywhere. I love this company so I am continuously seeking ways that I can evolve my career here. Definitely want to try 100000% before I make any move.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You got a good job, that pays well, and you're NOT SATISFIED?

Seriously. Check that fever.
It's not that I am not satisfied. Like I said I am happy. I think more of my worry comes in the form of how much am I going to grow here though? If I were in my late 40 this type of position would be perfect, but when you are about to enter into the prime time of your career, being able to feed that ambition and grow and learn new things and skills is imperative to me.

I am currently on the side doing work on my own to see if I can fulfill that need as freelancer on the side.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Do you have hobbies? What are your top priorities in life?

If the answer to above is becoming an executive or making a lot of money, yes, you should probably consider moving into another job.

If the answer to above is something else, enjoy where you're at and invest your time into whatever else it is that you enjoy.
Yeah I have a lot of hobbies. I rock climb a few times a week, write short stories on the side, and do food art photography.

What I am starting to do, is freelance on the side in those areas where I see my day job might be lacking. So trying to get more experience in UX I am starting to build websites and with local businesses and see if I can gain skills in that way.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I see my peers that are on my level, many who have been here 5+ years, and they haven't grown much and they all complain about lack of resources. I think to give some background, I work for a major international architecture firm. My career is in marketing, and as mentioned previously, I am only one person away from the top of my department.

That I can grow, I can grow. How much? I don't think a whole ton, I will hit a ceiling. I see that happening in the next 1-2 years.

Basically I was brought in to build a practice area in marketing they didn't have before. The past two years I have done that. And now it feels like I am just keeping the lights on for it. There are still opportunities still, but I just don't see a tremendous amount of growth. Perhaps if I was an architect working here it would be different as that is our bread an butter. Marketing is such a small sliver here and I am already near the top.
They complain but have been there for 5 plus years.. LOL.

Why don't you freelance on the side?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
They complain but have been there for 5 plus years.. LOL.

Why don't you freelance on the side?
That's what I am actually starting to do. I want to see if I can fulfill those skills I want to grow in on the side.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:09 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,077,907 times
It sounds like you are in a great position to be in - one that many would kill for. It took me quite a bit longer than you to be making six figures, and I have a family to support, so you're in a very nice spot financially at a pretty young age (assuming you're not in a very high COL area like San Francisco, LA, NYC, DC, or Boston). Even so, if I were you I'd be working on acquiring new skills while at the same time socking away as much income into investments as possible so you have a sizeable nest egg to where you're not entirely reliant on your one current source of income or a great economy for when things slow down.

Also, ambition is a double-edged sword. It will help you become successful and achieve your goals, but will likely leave you unsatisfied once you get there. Yes, sometimes change is good and will help you grow as a person, but moving on is still taking a risk because once you leave a great company it's not likely they'll hire you back. I totally understand being only 33 and still feeling like you've got a lot of career time left, but honestly I'd be using that time saving and investing as much as possible so that you have more choices later, maybe even the choice to not have to work for someone else at all and do whatever it is you love without worry of money. (it's very possible and much quicker to get to that point than most people think, especially being single with a higher income). Check this out: https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012...ly-retirement/

Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
My current job I have worked at for about 2 years. To sum it up, I love it. My boss is excellent, very understanding, flexible, professional, supportive and kind. He's one of the best bosses I have ever had. He doesn't micro manage but also acts as a guide. The company culture is great. One of the few places where I have yet to experience politics or unprofessional behavior. Most people have been here forever due to it being such positive environment. I have worked in a lot of places and I don't think I'd ever see a company with such a positive environment (especially one of this size 2k employees).

On top of that, I make good money. 100k a year (single guy here no kids) and work 9-5. I rarely ever have to stay late in the office. On top of that we get 15 Fridays off a year. So essentially I get 15 3-day weekends per year, on top of PTO and Holidays!

I have never been at so much peace with a job and in my life. It's a job I actually enjoy and love coming to. It's an industry I love too. I would part of the reason I am so happy in my personal life is because my professional life is so stable, healthy and happy.

With that being said, my concern though is in the future. I don't see a lot of growth potential financially or career wise. The department I sit in we are 70 people. I am one level down from the top. So essentially the next step up would be my boss's position which I would not want.

The concern also comes that I know I won't get the resources I need to grow in the areas I want to. I am trying to get my career to go in more of a specific route, that I can incorporate to a certain extent in my current position, but I will be limited, because I won't get the resources I need. When it comes to my line of work in the department I am more of a one-man show.

So always be networking and looking around. If you find the right move, make it! Until then, keep doing what you're doing.

Talk about a rough problem to have!

Old 09-10-2019, 11:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
About the same age and many of us are in a similar situation. I am starting to lean towards coasting and embracing projects on the outside vs. stressing myself out trying to climb up the Corporate ladder

Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
If your goal is to get married and have a family, now is the time to focus on doing that. If you wait much longer you may be unattractive to the pool of the best partners. I've seen this happen many times. If you want to stay a bachelor, keep on climbing the career ladder or move to a place where you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment