Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times

Advertisements

I have been pondering this question for quite some time now, and came up with an extensive list of contributions that science has given to mankind. Everything from medicine, computers, drugs, and the list goes on.... In contrast, when I tally up the contributions which religion has given to mankind, the list is short to none. Now, I know that some will say that love, peace, brotherhood, etc., are all contributions of religion, but I would not agree. I would attribute such intangibles to the creator/God/good karma, or whomever, but not any particular religion. When I look at the contributions of religion, I see more negative than positive contributions, such as:

1. Division between family members, nationalities and other religious people and groups.

2. Murder/Death and destruction, such as the Inquisition, and other mass killings "In the name of God".

3. Human failure, guilt and self condemnation for not living up to Gods standards that (man) wrote in religious books.

4. Individuals living hypocritical, double-standard lifestyles simply because they fail to live up to the writtings in the Bible and other religious books

5. The creation of cults and suicidal groups such as Davidian, Jim Jones and others.

Now, I give religion some credit and am fully aware that religions, particularly Christianity, gives to the poor, and attempts to better society, but what I am saying is that OVERALL, I find it difficult to come up with any long list of positive contributions to mankind religion has given.

Last edited by dorado0359; 07-03-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
Without God, there would be no science.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
Without man, there would be no "God".

Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
Without God, there would be no science.
I would like to hear more about this one....

Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Without man, there would be no "God".
Agree!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:44 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I would like to hear more about this one....
What you wanna know?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:46 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,438,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
I have been pondering this question for quite some time now, and came up with an extensive list of contributions that science has given to mankind. Everything from medicine, computers, drugs, and the list goes on.... In contrast, when I tally up the contributions which religion has given to mankind, the list is short to none. Now, I know that some will say that love, peace, brotherhood, etc., are all contributions of religion, but I would not agree. I would attribute such intangibles to the creator/God/good karma, or whomever, but not any particular religion. When I look at the contributions of religion, I see more negative than positive contributions, such as:

1. Division between family members, nationalities and other religious people and groups.

2. Murder/Death and destruction, such as the Inquisition, and other mass killings "In the name of God".

3. Human failure, guilt and self condemnation for not living up to Gods standards that (man) wrote in religious books.

4. Individuals living hypocritical, double-standard lifestyles simply because they fail to live up to the writtings in the Bible and other religious books

5. The creation of cults and suicidal groups such as Davidian, Jim Jones and others.

Now, I give religion some credit and am fully aware that religions, particularly Christianity, gives to the poor, and attempts to better society, but what I am saying is that OVERALL, I find it difficult to come up with any long list of positive contributions to mankind religion has given.
IMHO Dorado, what you are describing here is more Fanatism than religion, unfortunately most western religions were used as a tool for control and manipulation rather than a mean for freedom of negative mental states such as nervousness, fears, depressions, etc.

Now to answer your question, what has religion given? I'll speak of Dharmic religions

1 Yoga, the sacred science of Soul union, which has helped mankind have a real experience of God, ended the suffering, fears, depresions, stress, anxiety and boredom of many human beings, improving their health, stamina, reflexes, coordination, strenght, mind control and elasticity.

2 Life wisdom and release from suffering, Dharmic religions make you aware of natural laws such as Karma, this makes life a lot easier because then you can be aware of it and stop attracting negative things for you, you can also be succesful and prosperous on whatever activity you choose by generating good karma, these phillosophies also tell you that you shouldn't feel bad for not being perfect, but rather to focus that energy to better yourself as humanly possible

3 love, peace, brotherhood, and happiness Dharmic religions have given us people like Buddha, or Gandhi who were real examples of non violence, tolerance, respect, these teachings have also generated lots of tolerant, peace loving human beings.

4 Scientific thought, Sciences like mathematics, physics, phillosophy and psychology were developed in their most early stages by people from these religions, Just check this articles in wikipedia, and look for the contributions of Hinduism and Jainism to scientific thought.

Gravitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Infinity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now finally I won't say that Dharmic religions are perfect, because we human beings aren't perfect, fanatism, ignorance and misinterpretations lead to things like the caste system in India, but Science has been Dogmatic too, this has hindered it's progress until a generation of scientists is replaced by a younger one with less dogma and prejudices or attachment to theories that have been replaced by new findings, science has also created some of the most destructive weapons in the world, but this doesn't mean that science is bad, the same with religion

Regards!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
wow lots of negative stuff bout somekinda bad religion, but lots of good science stuff.
good religion, like me own, teaches self improvement, self development, focus, ethics.health.
it has helped me a lot.
very few losers in the church.
not especially family oriented often referred to as the most eastern of the western religions.
no, i disagree science and religion have a role.
but i gota tell you somethin funny
2 weeks ago i got really sick. nobody from my church came over, nobody. best friend did not come either.
2 atheist friends i got came over and took care of me for 2 days.
aint that a kick in the head?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:49 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
dorado I think you just about covered it all. There is more blood shed in the name of religion then all the worlds wars combined. It's insane.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
What you wanna know?
I want to know how god created science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality