Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times

Advertisements

If a person can trace their place on earth back thousands of years to a certain place on a map, it will lead back to two people. You are on earth today because thousands of years ago two people came together and shared genetic material.

Every person alive today is related to every other person on planet earth by genetics.

If the only thing humans have been doing on earth is replicating themselves, where does the spirit come from?

Is the spirit a component of that genetic material?

Is the spirit a component of the very first coupling of man and woman hundreds of thousands of years ago?

The spirit meaning, "the engine" that powers the human body.

When the spirit leaves the body, and you cease to exist in the body you have now, where do you think that your spirit will go?

Do you think humans are more bounded by their genetic legacy or their spiritual legacy?

I cannot understand how religion fits into this life continuum because religions are man made institutions. Religion relates to tradition and culture in my opinion. What does religion add to your life if you know where you came from?

Afterall, the ultimate mystery of life is death. And nobody comes back to tell us if we were right or wrong about religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 01:46 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
In my beliefs, the soul is the real you. The spirit body covers the soul and then the material body covers that. You could not exist in the material world if you did not have a material body. The material body is only temporary while the soul is permanent.
When the person dies, the spirit/soul move on to another plane. Most likely the low spirit planes unless the person is highly developed in their soul condition.
We are spiritual beings first. We live in this world but we are not of this world. It's more like a playground. We are in kindergarten and when we die, we graduate to the first grade, so to speak. We then can finish what we started here. Same everything including thoughts and emotions. We won't eat, drink or breath but we'll otherwise be the same.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:06 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
In my beliefs, the soul is the real you. The spirit body covers the soul and then the material body covers that. You could not exist in the material world if you did not have a material body. The material body is only temporary while the soul is permanent.
When the person dies, the spirit/soul move on to another plane. Most likely the low spirit planes unless the person is highly developed in their soul condition.
We are spiritual beings first. We live in this world but we are not of this world. It's more like a playground. We are in kindergarten and when we die, we graduate to the first grade, so to speak. We then can finish what we started here. Same everything including thoughts and emotions. We won't eat, drink or breath but we'll otherwise be the same.
I like that perspective.

If that's true then I will really miss ice cream.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
LuckyGem wrote:
Quote:

When the spirit leaves the body, and you cease to exist in the body you have now, where do you think that your spirit will go?
I really don't think there is a spirit or soul and I believe that our consciousness is a function of the brain. I tend to think that our awareness of self creates the illusion that there's something inside of us that will leave our bodies once we have died but I think it's just an illusion.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 PM

22,232 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I cannot understand how religion fits into this life continuum because religions are man made institutions. Religion relates to tradition and culture in my opinion.

Afterall, the ultimate mystery of life is death. And nobody comes back to tell us if we were right or wrong about religion.
Religion is limited and finite, and of human making. You are absolutely correct, they are man-made institutions, and as such flawed and imperfect to the extent humans are flawed and imperfect.

Spirituality is unlimited, infinite, eternal, and of divine origin. It is exquisite in its elegance and perfection.

Actually, there are plenty of sources that exist that DO tell us what happens after we die, and what happens before we come into a physical incarnation. They're out there and they are readily accessible. Fascinating area to explore, go for it.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 PM

63,838 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I really don't think there is a spirit or soul and I believe that our consciousness is a function of the brain. I tend to think that our awareness of self creates the illusion that there's something inside of us that will leave our bodies once we have died but I think it's just an illusion.
What is a "function" of the brain . . . phenomenologically (that means what is it made of ) if it exists in reality it has to be made of something. If our Self is identifiable and interacts independently with the environment (which it is and does) . . . it cannot be an illusion. Illusions can't do that.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

No offense, but you have adopted a 19th century understanding of the way the brain works. Everything that you ascribe to a spirit, is a product of the mind. Every aspect of the mind is accounted for and caused by the brain.

When the brain dies, so does any awareness of self.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is a "function" of the brain . . . phenomenologically (that means what is it made of ) if it exists in reality it has to be made of something. If our Self is identifiable and interacts independently with the environment (which it is and does) . . . it cannot be an illusion. Illusions can't do that.

As we have talked about before, "function" here means "a product of". Consciousness is created by the brain. It's a product of the chemical-electro activity in the brain.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

ooooooops!

does the word have a root?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM

63,838 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
As we have talked about before, "function" here means "a product of". Consciousness is created by the brain. It's a product of the chemical-electro activity in the brain.
Try to elevate your thinking beyond semantic abstractions. Functions produce something . . . you called it a "product" of the brain . . . it has the composite characteristics of Self and interacts independently and identifiably with the universe as such . . . distinct from the sequence of individualized brain processes (waves or "functions") that produce it. What is this composite "product" made out of? What "substrate of reality contains its self-representational essence. You cannot seriously maintain that i am conversing with each individual brain wave or process. Stretch yourself and think less concretely and more abstractly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality