Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 06:52 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I dont see that being of any value in the job market. For just an associates from a local community college you're going to want to get specific training. Drafting, CNC machine work/programming, electronics, medical billing etc..I always thought business degrees were to vague and non specific and didn't really train a person for their actual job duties unless your going to add on a bachelors or masters in finance or accounting.

I feel like 90% of people who get generic business degrees all end up in sales anyway. Not knocking sales, only person on payroll who can make more than the CEO is the best sales guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:44 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
So long story short. Right after HS I enlisted in the military. I spent 4 years working a ground transport job. It was not my first pick. The job was hard on my body. I cannot stand for long or move weight anymore without being severely hurt and chair ridden for 1-3 weeks at a time. VA compensation barley helps put food on the table.

So I can’t do any more physical work, which is all I’ve ever known. Most of my experience is in a sector that I cannot physically work in. I had a lot of interest in the automotive sector but I tried sales it just wasn’t my thing. I’m more mechanically inclined but being a mechanic is also too hard on my ankles.

I can obtain an associates or bachelors, but I rather just get out and start working again. $45k and up salary. Is there anything like that that even exists? I have a friend with a nutrition BS that got a programming job paying $80k salary. But when I look - almost every one of these positions require a BS in computer science then 3+ Years of experience.

I’m currently working on a business management AS but I’m not sure if this is what I’m going to get into. Is it more likely to find a decent salary in a STEM or finance position?
Go get your degree!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment