Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 03:26 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,273,473 times

Advertisements

What were their average salaries upon entering the program.
I actually know a few who got recent mbas at some of those schools. The salary you quote was not far off from what they were making when they decided to attend. Plus they had to pay tuition and living expenses, didn’t earn a much while they were in school (except for summer internship). I’m hearing some are disappointed with the after graduation offers.
The program cost them conservatively 300k between tuition and lost opportunity costs. Not a huge win salary wise. It will pay off bigger in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 03:28 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,617,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
The average cost of a MBA at a well-respected school is well over $100k. I'd be disappointed if I spent that kind of money and found myself making $60k-$80k/yr as a lowly individual contributor, to be honest. Frankly, I see that far often than I think I should be--lots of MBAs as ICs; but to each their own.

I had to look up what "individual contributor" meant. Frankly, being managed by someone who thinks that everyone not managing is 'lowly' sounds unpleasant.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:58 PM

109 posts, read 97,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I wouldn't say a 3% or 4% increase is "soaring."
If the cost of living increased ~6% then a 3-4% salary increase means your purchasing power decreased meaning that not only are MBA salaries not soaring but they're barely keeping up.
Many items went up much higher than 6% like cars and real estate.

Old 11-17-2021, 04:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,121,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I had to look up what "individual contributor" meant. Frankly, being managed by someone who thinks that everyone not managing is 'lowly' sounds unpleasant.
I'm referring to paying $100k+ for an MBA and being in a lower paying IC role, not what I feel about individual contributors or that salary range. I have been and would be perfectly happy with $60k-$80k/yr salary and an IC role. But I also didn't invest $100k+ in an MBA. From a ROI standpoint, it seems like it might not be worth the investment unless you're striving to be part of upper management or the C-suite one day. Would you be comfortable paying $130k for a degree and making $70k/yr as a mid-level analyst for the rest of your career? Because there are tons of people doing that with just a BA/BS and some experience.

There is a reason why doctor salaries are very high. It's very difficult to become a doctor and it's also very expensive. While an MBA is no where near as difficult as an MD, it can be quite costly. And when I'm personally making that sort of investment in myself, I expect to be compensated for the time and effort towards that endeavor and towards the additional value I bring to the organization. If I don't have the aspirations to earn more and move into a higher role within an organization, then I personally don't think an MBA is worth the investment.

Last edited by modest; 11-17-2021 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-17-2021, 05:02 PM

35,143 posts, read 31,445,911 times
I'm a senior level IT individual contributor. An MBA adds nothing. It might - might - help springboard you into management in the right market and the right sector.

MBAs generally won't generate a positive ROI for those who aren't already management tracked.

Old 11-18-2021, 08:32 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,273,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm a senior level IT individual contributor. An MBA adds nothing. It might - might - help springboard you into management in the right market and the right sector.

MBAs generally won't generate a positive ROI for those who aren't already management tracked.
But if you wanted to move in to corporate finance or marketing, if you wanted to move to a fortune 100 company, if you wanted to take a senior role in a startup or raise capital for your own, if you needed a bigger pool of quality contacts. Then an MBA would be a good investment.
If you are happy where you are then you are correct, an MBA would add nothing.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:44 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,075,647 times
Quote:

MBA classes are filled with your kind. Technical people who want to go into non-technical roles. And they're not necessarily going for management roles either. Especially full-time programs. Graduates might go into corporate training programs, but companies that are heavily recruiting MBA graduates aren't exactly going to put them in management roles.

Management Consulting (associate position), Investment Banking/PE (associate position), big tech (project/program/product roles) account for vast majority of MBA hires of full-time graduates at top programs.

Old 11-18-2021, 10:54 AM

15,577 posts, read 7,603,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Many MBA's totally ignore the fact that without individual contributors, companies will fail. You have to have people doing the actual work that creates products, gets them built, operates the back office systems, etc.

Quote:

An MBA will help you in IT if you are working on financial systems, since most undergrad IT degrees are kind of skimpy on finance and accounting. I'm an IT individual contributor that supports accounting, treasury, reporting, and analytics systems, but I have an accounting degree. It's always fun explaining to users why the way they do accounting is wrong.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:06 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,243,187 times
When I entered the MBA program I thought the degree would get me a good paying job.

When I graduated from MBA school, I got a job because of my tech chops learned from a teaching assistantship I had during the program. That was far more valuable to me than the degree.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,949,319 times
These top-tier business schools have a very "select" candidate pool so the inputs and outputs are misleading.

For many of these top-tier business schools, many of the applicants and attendees are individuals that are coming in from top-tier consultancies, professional services, and leadership development programs from Fortune 100 companies.

Its basically part of their "rotational" program or leadership development programs.

Companies and firms recruit top-talent from top-tier undergrad schools/programs.
They high performing individuals work for 3-5 years and then apply to top-tier MBA programs, and often times their tuition is "paid for" or reimbursed about graduation and working for another 2 years post MBA.

Thus why you see such high average salaries from these top-tier MBA programs.

Many are just accepting and graduation top talent from Fortune 100s and big consultancies/professional services and I-banking firms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment