Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 12:34 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,020,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Thanks for the input but the two paragraphs in your post pretty much contradict themselves. Didn't she decided against it because she didn't want to work for that company full time rather than because it would've been too big of a step to do an engineering degree as a mature student?
They're not contradictory at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 01:28 PM

15,809 posts, read 20,568,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Engineers rarely if ever get Ph.D's. They usually get MBA's to expand their careers.

Would agree.

This is actually the path i'm seeing myself drawn to as well. More money on the business side at Director level and upper management.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:33 PM

24,663 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Quote:
Wow the racism.....
Where is the racism? Call it reality. You have been posting for several years about quick fix "how to" from stores targeting retired expats to bio engineers.
There are jobs which require a certain presence and that includes language. Having to untrain and retrain is not something a lot of employers are interested unless a candidate brings something special to the table.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:23 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,845,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Would agree.

This is actually the path i'm seeing myself drawn to as well. More money on the business side at Director level and upper management.
Director level is a whole different ball game. There you need a degree in politics. Managers run the business, directors run the company.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:23 AM

365 posts, read 217,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
We joked that industrial engineering is a "pseudo-engineering degree".
I presume the attitude tends to be the same towards systems engineering as well, right?

Old 08-27-2023, 06:55 AM

674 posts, read 610,240 times
Quote:
A related question so I don't start a new thread: does engineering have good international mobility? I particularly have in mind the branches that I have mentioned in this thread: textiles, environmental, systems, industrial.
OP - I think you are dealing with "analysis paralysis" here. You are in the EU while most, if not all, the posters in this discussion, are in North America. So the advice they give may not be totally relevant to your individual circumstances. You should talk to folks in your own country. Have a set of focused questions so you don't sound like someone who has no idea of what s/he wants to do.

I live in the US. I have a couple of US engineering degrees (Mech. Engr) and have worked in Africa and Europe. But that was through an international organization that is present in a lot of countries. That organization took care of all the visas/work permits which is a huge hassle when you are a non-native of the country you're working in.

Also, earlier in this thread there was discussion about what one poster calls a "catch-22". This myth has been thoroughly debunked so pay no attention to it - although reading through the posts can be entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment