Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2022, 12:49 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

OP, I am so sorry your life is so hard. I can only imagine.

Unfortunately for your hurt feelings, the interviewers are telling you the truth. Give yourself a pat on the back that you were considered for an interview. If there is a door that won't open for you time after time, then that door isn't meant for you.

You do not suit the role of a cashier. So how many times are you going to get beaten down trying to get a cashier job? You are barking up the wrong tree.

Try out temp agencies. They are very good for opening doors to full time employment. Their clients are businesses who need workers and each client has given the agency a job description and the type of person and qualifications they want to hire. You might end up working a few weeks and then moving on to another temp job until you find a fit. And you'll get paid! There are companies who want to hire employees who have challenges like yours.

Don't give up hope or sell yourself short. You have talents to give the world. Despite your age, you just haven't found your spot yet. Some of us are late bloomers and there is no shame in that.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 12:59 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP, I am so sorry your life is so hard. I can only imagine.

Unfortunately for your hurt feelings, the interviewers are telling you the truth. Give yourself a pat on the back that you were considered for an interview. If there is a door that won't open for you time after time, then that door isn't meant for you.

You do not suit the role of a cashier. So how many times are you going to get beaten down trying to get a cashier job? You are barking up the wrong tree.

Try out temp agencies. They are very good for opening doors to full time employment. Their clients are businesses who need workers and each client has given the agency a job description and the type of person and qualifications they want to hire. You might end up working a few weeks and then moving on to another temp job until you find a fit. And you'll get paid! There are companies who want to hire employees who have challenges like yours.

Don't give up hope or sell yourself short. You have talents to give the world. Despite your age, you just haven't found your spot yet. Some of us are late bloomers and there is no shame in that.

Good luck!!
I have always been a late bloomer my entire life.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:41 PM

1,100 posts, read 432,091 times
You should laugh at them if they didn't hire you and you have a degree in communications from a good school.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
You should laugh at them if they didn't hire you and you have a degree in communications from a good school.
That's right

Old 07-25-2022, 03:03 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
That's right
Did you answer your interview questions in the same way that you're answering questions here? Your responses are very literal and abrupt, and that might flag for someone who's hiring for a customer service position. It is something you could work on with a career counselor, though.

Old 07-25-2022, 03:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
OP,

Do you receive any services from a state or county disability office? Can you receive some assistance such as job training or help with your resume and interviewing?

I think you're shooting too low for yourself! You have a degree and an education. Use it! You are so much more than a cashier!

Can you checkout the career services from your alma mater? They may be to help you!

How you were treated by those managers is not right. You should file a complaint every time you area discriminated against. That's the only way those managers will learn. And those companies need to know what their employees are doing. Chances are high that you are not the only person they have discriminated against.

When I was in high school I worked at a grocery store and our baggers came by bus from the ARC. Us cashiers had to go through a training meeting about how to work with them. There was one lady I LOVED to have her as my bagger during my shift. She was faster than people who weren't disabled. She was very friendly and always offered to help everyone. People would say nasty, horrible things about her because of how she looked. Never mind that she just bagged your 10 bags of groceries, loaded them into your cart, and offered to wheel the cart to your car and put the groceries in your car. Some people are just jerks. Don't let them get to you. She wondered why people would say things about the way she looked. It made her very sad. It made me mad because she was so kind to everyone.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Did you answer your interview questions in the same way that you're answering questions here? Your responses are very literal and abrupt, and that might flag for someone who's hiring for a customer service position. It is something you could work on with a career counselor, though.
I did answer aburpt

Old 07-25-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
OP,

Do you receive any services from a state or county disability office? Can you receive some assistance such as job training or help with your resume and interviewing?

I think you're shooting too low for yourself! You have a degree and an education. Use it! You are so much more than a cashier!

Can you checkout the career services from your alma mater? They may be to help you!

How you were treated by those managers is not right. You should file a complaint every time you area discriminated against. That's the only way those managers will learn. And those companies need to know what their employees are doing. Chances are high that you are not the only person they have discriminated against.

When I was in high school I worked at a grocery store and our baggers came by bus from the ARC. Us cashiers had to go through a training meeting about how to work with them. There was one lady I LOVED to have her as my bagger during my shift. She was faster than people who weren't disabled. She was very friendly and always offered to help everyone. People would say nasty, horrible things about her because of how she looked. Never mind that she just bagged your 10 bags of groceries, loaded them into your cart, and offered to wheel the cart to your car and put the groceries in your car. Some people are just jerks. Don't let them get to you. She wondered why people would say things about the way she looked. It made her very sad. It made me mad because she was so kind to everyone.
I re opened my case with Washington state dvr. My school is in California and I live in seattle.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
I re opened my case with Washington state dvr. My school is in California and I live in seattle.
Your alma mater might still be able to help you. Career services can help with resumes and interview practice.

Old 07-26-2022, 06:29 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
I spoke it into my phone. I'd rather not work low wage cashier jobs.

Then why are you applying for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Agree, that his replies here are abrupt.

I don't understand why he's even applying for cashier jobs, I guess you have to start somewhere.

Cashiers should be people person's, or come across that way during the interview, it sounds like the OP is not coming across that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment