Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2022, 08:23 PM

585 posts, read 496,311 times

Advertisements

It’s cringeworthy

We get a long email from the director of our dept with the company that acquired us. Cheesy about me things “I’m extra”. “I add sparkle”
Then I get long email from my buddy.

I like my job. We are all remote and get along. We ask each other questions when needed and help each other. None of the cheesy crap like what this company is doing. I don’t like that and especially not with work. I just want to learn any changes and do my job. Small talk and help when needed. Not come up with some clever stuff about myself and have a buddy. Is this a normal approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2022, 09:55 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,366 times
Not normal but not unheard of either. Yeah it is cringeworthy. I'd just come up with something boring about yourself and say as little as possible. Don't volunteer too much information. If people find you boring so be it. You're there to do your job, not make friends.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:40 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
It’s cringeworthy

We get a long email from the director of our dept with the company that acquired us. Cheesy about me things “I’m extra”. “I add sparkle”
Then I get long email from my buddy.

I like my job. We are all remote and get along. We ask each other questions when needed and help each other. None of the cheesy crap like what this company is doing. I don’t like that and especially not with work. I just want to learn any changes and do my job. Small talk and help when needed. Not come up with some clever stuff about myself and have a buddy. Is this a normal approach?
I'm going to tell you the truth and what might happen, so I don't believe you should ignore this and cop a bad attitude about it. This is your new corporate culture ploy, and you better embrace it and throw yourself into the mix of it. Otherwise you will be labeled by the new management as a problem. Cooperate fully, and if the thing doesn't get any traction at least you won't be labeled as not going along with the new management by those who matter in the organization most.

As for what any of us think about it, it really doesn't matter. From what little you described that can work very well in some places, depending on the nature of the work and the environment, and most importantly how it is implementing. Nothing cheesy about it when it is done right.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:44 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
You're there to do your job, not make friends.
But that isn't what is asked of the employees by management. To ignore it or not support it is very likely to get noticed by those whose job it is to implement it. You either do it, or look for another job cause they don't easily forget those who don't do as expected.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:00 AM

8,302 posts, read 3,820,848 times
Quote:
You're there to do your job, not make friends.
Yes, and part of the job now is to connect with others. If you don't like it, just move onto something you do like. It's no big deal.

Old 08-26-2022, 03:04 AM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
But that isn't what is asked of the employees by management. To ignore it or not support it is very likely to get noticed by those whose job it is to implement it. You either do it, or look for another job cause they don't easily forget those who don't do as expected.
I'm not saying to totally ignore it. I'm pretty much saying do the bare minimum to not come off as a pariah. Of course no one but the OP knows the exact situation and all the nuances of the environment but I don't think you have to go full blast if you don't want to. Yes, I am aware of office politics but I've never seen anyone fired because they weren't social in the office. But I still stand by my advice to not volunteer too much information. Some personal things your coworkers have no business of knowing if you don't want them to.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:29 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,768,598 times
Quote:
Not normal but not unheard of either. Yeah it is cringeworthy. I'd just come up with something boring about yourself and say as little as possible. Don't volunteer too much information. If people find you boring so be it. You're there to do your job, not make friends.
You don't have to hold hands and song kumbaya. just saying good morning/afternoon is just simple talk. I just started school new job at a charter school and its bad manners to just not interact with anyone.

Old 08-26-2022, 06:33 AM

12,787 posts, read 15,014,175 times
While I understand their logic of trying to make all you remote employees come together more, I'd personally hate it too!

How long is this buddy system supposed to last? The new higher-up(s) should know that you guys have all been working there all along & have your, "system" of doing thing, so I hope this, "buddy system" isn't forever.

If anything, the NEW higher-ups should just formally introduce & say something about themselves to you guys.

Old 08-26-2022, 08:31 AM

15,492 posts, read 7,529,453 times
This is fairly normal when organizations are combined. Management wants to have a single organization that works together and are using this as a means to gently force people to get to know each other. It's far better than having a hunger games exercise to get rid of a third of the employees to "gain efficiencies".

My organization at my employer does this when we get a new manager over the 500 or so employees. The new manager meets with each group separately, and we present a one pager that describes our experience, some biographical information, and what we do for fun.

When I was hired, I had 15 years of experience, which was sort of unusual at the time, and was assigned a "buddy" to help me understand the culture, how to navigate the systems and processes, and to answer questions. It worked out really well in helping me understand how to fit in.

I get the whole "I just want to do my job" thing, but management wants us all to work with others and get along, and anything that helps further shared understanding is useful in that respect.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,962,634 times
Your buddy is not there to help you do your job.

The buddy wil help you do you job with NEW processes.

You need to change your thinking to: I just joined a new company. How do they do things here?

Otherwise, yes, you will be labeled a problem. And when that first round of layoffs happens? You'll be a target.

Play along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment