Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 15,047 times

Advertisements

There is some guy in our department whose job is to run a dispatch centre, however all of the other team members conduct shifts there. However, even though he is the main person there as assigned by our boss, he always seeks out suggestions from us.

Do people like this amuse you secretly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM

753 posts, read 1,483,028 times
Not unless the person is a jerk. If he or she is nice, I just have pity.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Um, no, lack of confidence in others does not 'amuse' me. It seems like kind of a juvenile attitude to me. Like the way in high school cliques used to put each other down to make themselves feel better.

If the person in question were my supervisor, I would probably be frustrated that the designated leader didn't have the confidence to lead. But regardless, I try to offer encouragement to people who suffer from insecurity.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Would you rather have someone that seeks out your opinions or functions as a total dictator?

I'd prefer the former myself so I probably would not be secretly amused.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Not in the least. On this I agree with Kodaka that lack of self confidence in and of itself isn't amusing except to someone with a very immature sense of humor; and I agree too with Ringo1 that a supervisor who seeks input from those beneath him is infinitely preferable to one who simply dictates.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desifemsarehot View Post
There is some guy in our department whose job is to run a dispatch centre, however all of the other team members conduct shifts there. However, even though he is the main person there as assigned by our boss, he always seeks out suggestions from us.

No. Personally, people like you, who find enjoyment and amusement from other people's flaws, annoy me.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:55 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desifemsarehot View Post

No it doesn't. Seeking out suggestions is considered a good management style. Would you prefer that he ignores your opinion? Your attitude on the other hand, that does amuse me.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
We don't have people who lack confidence working with us. They'd get fired quick.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,510,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not in the least. On this I agree with Kodaka that lack of self confidence in and of itself isn't amusing except to someone with a very immature sense of humor; and I agree too with Ringo1 that a supervisor who seeks input from those beneath him is infinitely preferable to one who simply dictates.
We have the exact opposite situation at my current employment: Myself and my coworkers work for our supervisor and are treated as underlings/personal assistants who live to serve the boss' every whim.

Personally (and this is probably why I'm not in a management role), I'd rather have a supervisor who works with employees and values input/differing opinions.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,406,561 times
My experience is that people who lack self-confidence turns themselves and their workplace inside-out trying to "be better than someone/anyone" and in my job, human services, it's a complete breakdown. Forget it when it's the manager with the problem.
I think the OP is either a troll or a complete putz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment