Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 11,378 times

Advertisements

Thanks to each of you for your responses.

I have not contacted my local office of the US Dept. of Labor concerning this matter, but I would be interested to know what they have to say about it.

Of course, anytime you have to contact an arm of the Federal Govt., you most likely will get put on "hold".

Or, forgotten about altogether (example : Katrina victims)

Regards,
gumshoe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,532 times
BY way of background,I am legally blind and see through a tiny tunnel due to advanced Glaucoma. Amazingly, I still can drive legally but only during the day. I am an ex Army Infantry Officer who served in combat and an ex Senior Partner of a NE CPA firm. At one time I was semi-famous. I retired early from a local job at a big company due to my visual impairment and was still ranked first at a call center of about 600.Now I do a lot of Church Related "ministries" as well as non Church volunteer work for the needy. I am being made fun of because of my vision problems [at a non Profit Organization started by all 12 Churches in our city] .All workers there are volunteers. The source of this harassment is a supervisor there and a member of my own Church. She talks to people behind my back and tells them I shouldn't be driving. Says things like move to a town with public transportation all your problems would be solved !, and many other things. She also hates minorities and virtually no black people come in for free clothing anymore. All of us are God's children not just caucasians. She is nasty to new volunteers and they never come back. After I called a meeting and confronted her in a Christian way, she stopped making direct reference to my blindness and the little "jokes" she used to make. Now she harasses me in other ways. If I am talking to someone while working after we are closed she will butt in the conversation and cut me short although I am working away while talking and she talks all the time she is working. So lately [I've had 3 massive heart attacks which probably caused the glaucoma] I have been unable to sleep due to all this. the kinder I treat her the meaner she gets. What is all the more strange is that I am very popular with the customers and other volunteerrs and they all seek me out etc. None of them even know I am blind due to coping skills I have learned. But the stress is really bad on me and I have to take nitro all the time now and my heart beats are getting irregular. I like serving God and doing volunteer work. Ironically, I was secretly observed by the founder of this org. who wants me to take it over! I just want to be a worker bee and couldn't take it over and go to Board Meetings at night etc. Also I have 7 other things I do similar to volunteer work that are Church related. My mental facilties are still intact, and IQ is still 152 etc.
Can I sue her without suing the Churches involved? She and her husband are very wealthy[they make sure eveyone knows that]. I feel inferior all the time now and am getting deeply depessed and can't sleep because of all this. Please help me.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:10 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsol View Post
BY way of background,I am legally blind and see through a tiny tunnel due to advanced Glaucoma. Amazingly, I still can drive legally but only during the day. I am an ex Army Infantry Officer who served in combat and an ex Senior Partner of a NE CPA firm. At one time I was semi-famous. I retired early from a local job at a big company due to my visual impairment and was still ranked first at a call center of about 600.Now I do a lot of Church Related "ministries" as well as non Church volunteer work for the needy. I am being made fun of because of my vision problems [at a non Profit Organization started by all 12 Churches in our city] .All workers there are volunteers. The source of this harassment is a supervisor there and a member of my own Church. She talks to people behind my back and tells them I shouldn't be driving. Says things like move to a town with public transportation all your problems would be solved !, and many other things. She also hates minorities and virtually no black people come in for free clothing anymore. All of us are God's children not just caucasians. She is nasty to new volunteers and they never come back. After I called a meeting and confronted her in a Christian way, she stopped making direct reference to my blindness and the little "jokes" she used to make. Now she harasses me in other ways. If I am talking to someone while working after we are closed she will butt in the conversation and cut me short although I am working away while talking and she talks all the time she is working. So lately [I've had 3 massive heart attacks which probably caused the glaucoma] I have been unable to sleep due to all this. the kinder I treat her the meaner she gets. What is all the more strange is that I am very popular with the customers and other volunteerrs and they all seek me out etc. None of them even know I am blind due to coping skills I have learned. But the stress is really bad on me and I have to take nitro all the time now and my heart beats are getting irregular. I like serving God and doing volunteer work. Ironically, I was secretly observed by the founder of this org. who wants me to take it over! I just want to be a worker bee and couldn't take it over and go to Board Meetings at night etc. Also I have 7 other things I do similar to volunteer work that are Church related. My mental facilties are still intact, and IQ is still 152 etc.
Can I sue her without suing the Churches involved? She and her husband are very wealthy[they make sure eveyone knows that]. I feel inferior all the time now and am getting deeply depessed and can't sleep because of all this. Please help me.

I think you are wasting your skills on being a “Worker Bee”.

Could there be some financial assistance for travel to and from the meetings?

I think it’s well worth considering taking over.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,182,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe52 View Post
I work for a non-profit organization which (unfortunately) is operated by a church and I feel that I am being harassed.

I have worked there for just over a year and I perform warehouse duties such as operating a forklift, driving a truck and keeping inventory data.

This company is fairly small and probably has more volunteer workers than paid employees.

Do I understand correctly that you cannot sue a non-profit organization for ANY type of harassment, whether it is sexual or otherwise ?

I have "Googled" this subject and cannot really find any answers that would pertain to my situation and since you people on here seem to be pretty nice and quite knowledgeable about alot of things, I just thought I'd ask.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gumshoe
You can sue a non profit as long as you are a 'paid' employee and not a volunteer. People sue the government all the time. Be aware, however, you will get hit with at least $10,000 in legal fees and whatever the case you make it better exceed that amount. It's not a simple thing to do and a decision not to be made lightly. It will also mark your employment record forever whether you win or not. No one wants to hire someone who sues thier employer and you're not going to want to stay there. Should you decide or a lawyer decides you have a strong case, do yourself a favor and find another job first. Another consideration is that you must prove you took this issue to a higher power such as their supervisor or Director or above and they did nothing about it.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

181 posts, read 303,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You can sue anybody for anything. Whether you win or not is another matter. The general rule is that, unless the harrasment is based on race, religion, disability or sex, the courts will tell you to get lost. No union means no rights.
Now that's funny, I was harassed out of a job with the Unions help, so you should have said, you have no rights.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 PM

379 posts, read 813,283 times
Why not just leave because you are being mistreated?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe52 View Post
I work for a non-profit organization which (unfortunately) is operated by a church and I feel that I am being harassed.

I have worked there for just over a year and I perform warehouse duties such as operating a forklift, driving a truck and keeping inventory data.

This company is fairly small and probably has more volunteer workers than paid employees.

Do I understand correctly that you cannot sue a non-profit organization for ANY type of harassment, whether it is sexual or otherwise ?

I have "Googled" this subject and cannot really find any answers that would pertain to my situation and since you people on here seem to be pretty nice and quite knowledgeable about alot of things, I just thought I'd ask.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gumshoe
How are you being harassed?

Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Sometimes the complainer is the one who gets ousted, especially if the abuser has connections.
That is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment