Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 2,013 times

Advertisements

I started in May.

Basically, the Sr VP of our office hired me and put me under a Sr. Director in one of the departments of the office. I am a Associate Director

The Sr. Director never onboarded me or gave me any responsibilities. The only work ive gotten has been grunt work that other employees have dumped on me last second and i have felt compelled to do it, because i have no responsibilities or projects and dont want to do nothing. I have been invited to 0 meetings. Im literally getting other peoples copy and paste work that they need done real quick before their meetings

I have brought it up multiple times to my manager and he keeps saying he wants to restructure the team and for me to wait, he will give me resposibilities. but there has been no sign of change

The Sr. VP who hired me scheduled a 1on1 with me to see how things were going and i discussed how i have had no responsibilites yet and havent been onboarded. and showed her the work that ive been doing(all copy and paste)

and she offered to move me to a new department. But to give my current manager a heads up.

My current manager has pushed back and said he would just give me work in my department and its been a month and there has been no effort to do so.

I sent him another email stating my preference is to move to the other team. And he flat out said no, he would just give me work i wanted on this team.

so i dont know what to do. Ive been at the job for 4.5 months. Im miserable as i dont have any responsibilities and im just doing copy and paste **** all day to stay busy. and my manager is fighting letting me leave.

questions

1. what would you do? im thinking of scheduling a meeting with the Sr VP and just flat out telling her, im unhappy on that team and would like to move. and the sr director is not letting me but also hasnt shown any sign of giving me work and im tired of waiting

2. Honestly i want to start on another team at this point. and dont know how to politically tell the Sr Director that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_tech89 View Post
I started in May.

Basically, the Sr VP of our office hired me and put me under a Sr. Director in one of the departments of the office. I am a Associate Director

The Sr. Director never onboarded me or gave me any responsibilities. The only work ive gotten has been grunt work that other employees have dumped on me last second and i have felt compelled to do it, because i have no responsibilities or projects and dont want to do nothing. I have been invited to 0 meetings. Im literally getting other peoples copy and paste work that they need done real quick before their meetings

I have brought it up multiple times to my manager and he keeps saying he wants to restructure the team and for me to wait, he will give me resposibilities. but there has been no sign of change

The Sr. VP who hired me scheduled a 1on1 with me to see how things were going and i discussed how i have had no responsibilites yet and havent been onboarded. and showed her the work that ive been doing(all copy and paste)

and she offered to move me to a new department. But to give my current manager a heads up.

My current manager has pushed back and said he would just give me work in my department and its been a month and there has been no effort to do so.

I sent him another email stating my preference is to move to the other team. And he flat out said no, he would just give me work i wanted on this team.

so i dont know what to do. Ive been at the job for 4.5 months. Im miserable as i dont have any responsibilities and im just doing copy and paste **** all day to stay busy. and my manager is fighting letting me leave.

questions

1. what would you do? im thinking of scheduling a meeting with the Sr VP and just flat out telling her, im unhappy on that team and would like to move. and the sr director is not letting me but also hasnt shown any sign of giving me work and im tired of waiting

2. Honestly i want to start on another team at this point. and dont know how to politically tell the Sr Director that
1) As you get access to the SVP I would politely ask for a 5 minute catch up and mention that nothing has changed in a month and you're frustrated. And that your manager won't switch you despite you asking.

2) You don't say anything. Let the SVP handle that.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
Yes, this is for the SVP to handle. All of this sounds odd for Director, VP level dealings, no?

In the interim, see if you can challenge yourself to change your perspective. There have been many times in my career where I had to say to myself......"I guess I'm getting paid a lot of money to do _______ today"

Sounds like change is coming in the next year. If I'm being honest, on-boarding has gotten worse at companies as the rate of change has increased (training docs are often outdated!), and so i wouldn't let waiting for being properly onboarded hold you back. As much as it sucks, my last few roles I just had to insert yourself. Is there any work/teams/meetings independent of your boss that you can insert yourself in, in the meantime?

Old 10-02-2019, 09:10 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_tech89 View Post
I started in May.

Tell the Sr. VP to move you, no matter what your current manager says, or you're leaving.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Tell the Sr. VP to move you, no matter what your current manager says, or you're leaving.
Assuming OP is ready to walk out. If not, then the obvious thing is to show frustration, and if the SVP doesn't do anything to then look for a new opportunity ASAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment