Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 05:51 AM

127 posts, read 143,431 times

Advertisements

So just for some background, I have been at my company for about 11 years now, in very good standing and currently occupy a lead / senior role (this is in the tech arena). That said, there is somewhat of a re-org going on now and I've been asked to move to a different team that is struggling and essentially perform work that is a level or two below my pay grade. My title will not be changing, nor will my salary, but again, my work will be changing somewhat drastically.

My overall concern isn't the work itself, but rather why they chose me. There are other leads that aren't changing roles, along with numerous "junior" employees that could have easily filled this role. I lightly pushed back and essentially asked "why me" and all I got was "you should take it as compliment" and other empty platitudes. I also asked how long this assignment would be, and they said that there is no ETA on that and no guarantee that my old position opens back up on this team, but they would try and slot me in if it does open up here or on another team.

So my question is, should I push back further on this and let them know that I feel somewhat disrespected? Or should I not rock the boat and see how things play out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 06:15 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
are able to not accept without being fired ?

i assume you will be salary frozen for the rest of tenure.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:51 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
are able to not accept without being fired ?

i assume you will be salary frozen for the rest of tenure.
My thoughts exactly. And my feeling is the answer to accepting the position is "yes" otherwise at some point in the near future the position will be at risk during a layoff. And even if accepting, during a possible layoff there's the risk of being paid too much for the work being done.

OP, 11 years is a good amount of time at an employer, and the economy and job market is strong right now. Also, if you get switched with the same salary and title you have a great story to tell when looking for a new position elsewhere, ideally with a pay raise and/or title increase. You're considering alternatives due to a re-org.

I'd be worried down the road if you stayed that they "re-banded" you and decreased your title, even if they keep the pay the same. That would hurt when looking elsewhere.

Assuming this is a larger private sector employer, and possibly a public company, I wouldn't rock the boat further. How well do you know your boss and how long have you worked directly for him/her? What was your last review like?

Old 09-26-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My thoughts exactly. And my feeling is the answer to accepting the position is "yes" otherwise at some point in the near future the position will be at risk during a layoff. And even if accepting, during a possible layoff there's the risk of being paid too much for the work being done.

OP, 11 years is a good amount of time at an employer, and the economy and job market is strong right now. Also, if you get switched with the same salary and title you have a great story to tell when looking for a new position elsewhere, ideally with a pay raise and/or title increase. You're considering alternatives due to a re-org.

I'd be worried down the road if you stayed that they "re-banded" you and decreased your title, even if they keep the pay the same. That would hurt when looking elsewhere.

Assuming this is a larger private sector employer, and possibly a public company, I wouldn't rock the boat further. How well do you know your boss and how long have you worked directly for him/her? What was your last review like?
It is a larger company, yes. I knew my previous manager very well, the new manager, not so much. Again, I'm a team player and always try to do what's best for the org, but I just find this one demoralizing and borderline disrespectful. If there was a precedent for it, ok... but for it just to be me with no clear timeline for exit, that is tough. Maybe I'm overreacting though, which is why I posted here

Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Didn't you ask about this job situation before? How was the talk with the manager.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nager-i-m.html

Old 09-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Didn't you ask about this job situation before? How was the talk with the manager.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...nager-i-m.html
Yep, so my very fears were realized and now I'm being moved. At the time, I did talk to them and they assured me that I would be "put in a good spot" if I were moved.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
If it's "take it or get fired," I'd take it, but keep looking in the meantime. It's always tougher to come back to the previous role if you've regressed.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:39 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
So just for some background, I have been at my company for about 11 years now, in very good standing and currently occupy a lead / senior role (this is in the tech arena). That said, there is somewhat of a re-org going on now and I've been asked to move to a different team that is struggling and essentially perform work that is a level or two below my pay grade. My title will not be changing, nor will my salary, but again, my work will be changing somewhat drastically.

My overall concern isn't the work itself, but rather why they chose me. There are other leads that aren't changing roles, along with numerous "junior" employees that could have easily filled this role. I lightly pushed back and essentially asked "why me" and all I got was "you should take it as compliment" and other empty platitudes. I also asked how long this assignment would be, and they said that there is no ETA on that and no guarantee that my old position opens back up on this team, but they would try and slot me in if it does open up here or on another team.

So my question is, should I push back further on this and let them know that I feel somewhat disrespected? Or should I not rock the boat and see how things play out?
Sorry this is happening.

In summary, none of this is a good sign for you there. Look for another job outside the company. Meanwhile, play-along that you are accepting whatever the situation is there at work, but it is time for you to leave before you become part of a layoff or get placed on a PIP and fired. None of this is a "compliment". That is not an acceptable answer to your question.

Why are they doing this? To reduce costs. You are expensive and they think they can do without you. So this action is to encourage you to resign on your own by finding another job.

And before anyone says, they could just fire the OP, the company never wants to fire anyone or even do a layoff. They want the employee to leave on their own because it saves the company money.

On your current resume don't list this down grade in responsibilities.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:55 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,561,057 times
Perhaps position this as a reassignment to help a struggling department if the issue surfaces. While you are at it make a copy of your previous appraisals. Start networking for another position.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:12 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,598,461 times
I haven't looked at your other posts but other questions I would have are --

Are you in a protected class?

Are you age 40 or and the oldest member in your group?

Are you a female or in a minority class?

Have you been out of work due to a disability?

Look up federal and state employment regulations to determine whether you are covered.

How does your seniority compare to others in your group?

As another poster mentioned they most probably are trying to get you to quit. If you are in a protected class, they won't change your job title or change your salary but they know it is demoralizing to you since you already expressed your dissatisfaction. If you are in a protected class you should get outside legal counsel. If you can, get a copy of the two job descriptions that show that effectively the job is a demotion.
Also, try to get in writing or make a note that you were told that this is not a "temporary assignment"

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-26-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment