Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 06:53 PM

17,244 posts, read 57,300,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
My gut feeling is that no, I will not be laid off any time soon. My main point of complaint is the "why me?" aspect (which sounds somewhat petty, I know). At this stage of my career though and given my record of performance at the company, I don't think it's fair nor productive for me to take on such a role, especially one with no defined endpoint.

If they had said, "hey we just need your help for 3 months and then you're back to your old role", I wouldn't be super happy, but I'd take one for the team knowing that there was SOME kind of plan. Instead I got "well maybe this and maybe that" etc.

Simultaneously, take the new lower level job, but, yeah, get your resume out there, and move on ASAP. Ideally, before you have even "improved" this new group, you get a new job, you just give them 2 weeks, don't say anything else, and vamoose. Don't say anything but "goodbye".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 07:32 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,937,611 times
Are they moving you to that team because they want you to do less, or because you're a senior person who can help turn that struggling team around? I've been asked to work with teams that need improvement so I could help turn them around a few times. If that's the case, it's a pretty big compliment. They've moved you from team to team, it's possible they see improvements in each of those teams, and see you as the experienced person who can help guide struggling groups. Again, that's a huge compliment, but not overly helpful if that's not what you want to do with your career.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:53 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,401,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
1) Any person would be well advised to know their rights.
2) An attorney can lay out options.
3) In can be in a person's best interest to remain employed as they continue to look for another job.
4) Severence can be an effective negotiating tool particularly when done by attorney. I would never allow a company to force me to quit in violation of my rights without a negotiated severance.

You make such absolute statements, I have to assume you do not have requisite experience in these matters.
  1. Don't fool yourself.
  2. If they don't want you there, they will find a way to make it even more uncomfortable to stay.
  3. They are experts at it.
  4. All the documentation in the world isn't going to prevent or save a job.
  5. You really don't want to work someplace after you hired an attorney and forced them to continue to employ you.
  6. Things will never be the same.
  7. It is best to find a better place to work.

I've been in the work force for a long time and I manage a group.

Last edited by rummage; 09-26-2019 at 08:12 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 03:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,731,836 times
So things like this happens in my "large global" company all the time. It doesn't make sense why they don't look about peoples qualifications/background during reorg. It always feels like lottery. I suspect its because they hire outside consultant for these strategy/reorg who put people in box without knowing their background. Because its such a large company, its too much detail for consultant to know & our spineless management don't move some of the pieces around to account for peoples background.

There was a manager in my workplace who was super smart and hardworking but not great management material. He relocated for this job but after few years they reorg & gave him half of his old team & half of another team in different state. Still in same line of work, so poor guy worked his butt off running 2 teams in 2 states. After 2 years, they eliminated his role completely and offered him a much lower job with smaller team & in a dead end group that no one wants to be in. This was the reward they gave him after he worked so hard. But it was "this is the only position we have, because we got rid of that layer of management". He took the job and still struggling to make it work. After 3 years they reorged his old group to put another layer of management in place (the one they got rid off) & well he applied and didn't get it.

To the OP: take the job but don't stick around there. You have great rep with the company but the current leadership doesn't know how to utilize you. Best for you is find another job with in the company

Old 09-27-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
So things like this happens in my "large global" company all the time. It doesn't make sense why they don't look about peoples qualifications/background during reorg.
I wouldn't give management too much credit. This is what they do. They look at costs, and the biggest cost are the employees. So they go through the list of the highest paid employees and make a determination if they could replace them with a cheaper employee with less experience. The cheapest thing to do for a company is to get an employee to leave on their own, so they try this first by putting the employee in work situations they aren't going to be happy about and/or a PIP. If they leave without a layoff or being fired, this saves the company money and reduces possible legal costs and risks.

All any of us can do is our best in the job, but we need to be aware of what is going on in the company. You can't simply keep your head down and work ignoring changes and trends in your company and the industry you work in.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:42 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,641,184 times
[quote=rummage;56282649]"I wouldn't give management too much credit. This is what they do. They look at costs, and the biggest cost are the employees. So they go through the list of the highest paid employees and make a determination if they could replace them with a cheaper employee with less experience. The cheapest thing to do for a company is to get an employee to leave on their own, so they try this first by putting the employee in work situations they aren't going to be happy about and/or a PIP. If they leave without a layoff or being fired, this saves the company money and reduces possible legal costs and risks.

All any of us can do is our best in the job, but we need to be aware of what is going on in the company. You can't simply keep your head down and work ignoring changes and trends in your company and the industry you work in."[/QUOTE

This advice is misleading and most likely based on limited work experience. Does this happen at some companies, yes. An enlightened company will be aware of legal concepts know as constructive discharge, disparate treatment and adverse impact and associated liability for such actions. I have worked for such companies that would never resort to such tactics which is why I always encourage anyone in such a situation get advice from legal counsel vs. getting intimidated or fearful and jumping into a job that might not be in your best interest if you are in a protected class, especially older employee whose job prospects may be limited.

Last edited by Maddie104; 09-28-2019 at 08:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
This advice is misleading and most likely based on limited work experience.
Thanks for your input. It will be taken under advisement.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:34 AM

127 posts, read 144,887 times
Thanks for the insight thus far everyone, very helpful. I have a "clear the air" meeting scheduled with my new managers manager on Thursday, so we'll see what comes of that. However, I have a feeling the direction he is going to take this is of the "hey we are still paying you the same salary with the same title" variety, but maybe I am just being pessimistic.

The main things I plan on asking are:

- What went in to the decision making process here? (i.e. how did I get chosen over those in the same or lesser roles)
- Why has no timeline been communicated?
- Is doing this kind of work effectively leveraging my talents and background? (90% of the new work will be running a through the same routine over and over again on a daily basis).

Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,365,274 times
Quote:
Thanks for the insight thus far everyone, very helpful. I have a "clear the air" meeting scheduled with my new managers manager on Thursday, so we'll see what comes of that. However, I have a feeling the direction he is going to take this is of the "hey we are still paying you the same salary with the same title" variety, but maybe I am just being pessimistic.

- What went in to the decision making process here? (i.e. how did I get chosen over those in the same or lesser roles)
- Is doing this kind of work effectively leveraging my talents and background? (90% of the new work will be running a through the same routine over and over again on a daily basis).
Don't expect to get a real answer to the first question.

You might get a sensible response to the second. You might want to rephrase it as "When will a timeline be communicated?"

I'm not sure they really care about your third question. As you mention, "hey we are still paying you."

Old 10-01-2019, 03:45 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,641,184 times
Quote:

- What went in to the decision making process here? (i.e. how did I get chosen over those in the same or lesser roles) What was the selection criteria?
Would add:

This role doesn't present any personal learning opportunities and professional growth for me. Although the job title is the same, the duties appear to be a demotion. How do you respond to that?

What is the status of my current job?

Is the salary grades/ranges the same for both position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment