Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 AM

15 posts, read 51,573 times

Advertisements

Please help immediately! Must return application by Monday.

I am a long term unemployed due to blacklisting in my references. I was going under in every way until two months ago I was hired into a full time temporary position with a sub of a major national organization. We were told to commit to three months.

I was doing great in my new job. I was in the top two producers on the team when I noticed that my new boss was very unhappy whenever I excelled, which was daily. She refused to acknowledge my accomplishments then started ridiculing a job well done, etc. She started sabotaging my contact list making it impossible to perform up to my prior standards. This change in productivity looks like a decline if you don't know that unrestrained sabotage is happening. She has recruited my co-workers (a few people) to participate in the daily abuse. Holding up perfectly normal and even excellent work habits as wrong and incompetent. She has no local leadership and if I call the corporate office all I get is a voice mail box to leave my name and number. So I am completely isolated. I tried mightily to tell someone what's been happening to me. I don't have an employee handbook so I don't know what the internal procedures would be or who to contact. The union rep won't talk to me, possibly because the required union membership (by 61st day of hire = Monday) hasn't kicked in yet. My hiring paperwork says I am covered by a CBA with a Union Security Clause but dues have never been deducted. I have called many lawyers who won't talk to me because there is no proof of civil rights violations. (I started documenting as soon as things turned so I have proof of the sabotage).

About a week ago we were told (nothing in writing) that the position would be ending this week (3 weeks early) and management would be leaving town. I tried to ask for more info but this is useless from a pathological liar. I believed immediately that this was a ploy to get me to go away voluntarily while everyone else will continue in the full time position**. One lawyer told me after a few minutes on the phone if I don't accept the transfer into a 20+ hour a week job (same work, different sub), then I can be denied UI on that basis.

I can't end up with nothing again and I wasn't able to get lawyers to take this seriously. I stalled turning in the app for a whole week but now I may lose the part time job if I don't act Monday morning. I have no written proof that the job is over. The colluding co-workers appear to be turning in paperwork but they have been play acting for my benefit for a long time. What would you advise? Will submitting be agreeing to the demotion. I have done nothing to earn a demotion. What about UI? Is it still a firing? Would I be barred from filing? I was going to file Sat or Sun because the PT job starts Tuesday.

I also need to protect my reputation and my legitimately excellent reference from this job. A valid witness to my good work here is critical to future job searches. It is the one thing that I needed to accomplish here other than income and now it seems hopeless.

Thank you very much.

**PS. Before things went downhill the boss asked if I was available to travel to a further away location to work while staying in company paid hotel for a period of time. This idea was mentioned at hiring and again right before the abuse started. After things went south this idea was never mentioned again. I asked about it when the shut down was introduced and was told it was cancelled. The more distant territory has not been covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 02:44 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,202,926 times
Unemployment might not be available not because of the demotion aspect, but in your first paragraph you say you were long-term unemployed, and this job seems to have only lasted not quite 60 days. That's not usually enough income, so the you might be worried about something that's just not an option to start with.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:59 AM

15 posts, read 51,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Unemployment might not be available not because of the demotion aspect, but in your first paragraph you say you were long-term unemployed, and this job seems to have only lasted not quite 60 days. That's not usually enough income, so the you might be worried about something that's just not an option to start with.

Thank you Chyvan you are quite right about usually. I don't remember the exact minimum figure you need for UI but I don't think that will be a problem. This is a well paid job. Another reason this is such a travesty.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,932,778 times
I don't see that you have an option, you go part time or go home w/o UE.. Take what is offered to survive and keep on looking..

Old 06-08-2014, 01:05 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,202,926 times
If you're certain that UI is an option, your employer can't make you apply for anything. You save any applications as proof of discharge from the job you had. The theory is that once your employer tells you that your job is done/over/eliminated, a line is drawn in the sand. Your employer/employee relationship has been severed. Your employer doesn't get to tell you where to apply for you next job.

If you don't want the demotion, then don't submit your application. If your employer tries to muddy the waters with UI, you'll have the application and can emphatically say, "my job was over. That's why they gave me this to apply for some lesser postion that was available. It was no offer of a job. It was the chance to apply for one."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment