Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 10:16 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,143,030 times

Advertisements

Do you want to leave? Are you willing to leave?

I agree that you should play along for now but look for another job. Because they didn’t say they were moving you because you were great and they know you can improve the team that you’re moving to. They didn’t say it’s temporary. Nor did they say of course will move you back when your assignment with this new team is finished.

How much are you willing to bet that you will find another job go to your boss, tell them you’re leaving, and they will act so surprised, “oh you’re leaving we hate to lose you. “Yeah right.

One factor could also be if you are ever, eventually let go are you do or promised severance because if you didn’t coverage or something like that? Leaving is a little easier when you know they have to pay you to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 10:39 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,468,196 times
No. Start interviewing elsewhere.

Witnessed this antic. It's rarely a good sign when they are easing up on duties .

Not a fan of titles either. Though will say being titled employed and valued does deserve more credence.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:24 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,083,277 times
For the same salary, companies will rarely remove job duties without replacing them. Get that resume polished and start applying elsewhere.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:41 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,580,686 times
the most weird thing is that there are several juniors who could easily do these low-end duties but they are insisting that a senior lead do it ?

Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,595,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
So just for some background, I have been at my company for about 11 years now, in very good standing and currently occupy a lead / senior role (this is in the tech arena). That said, there is somewhat of a re-org going on now and I've been asked to move to a different team that is struggling and essentially perform work that is a level or two below my pay grade. My title will not be changing, nor will my salary, but again, my work will be changing somewhat drastically.

My overall concern isn't the work itself, but rather why they chose me. There are other leads that aren't changing roles, along with numerous "junior" employees that could have easily filled this role. I lightly pushed back and essentially asked "why me" and all I got was "you should take it as compliment" and other empty platitudes. I also asked how long this assignment would be, and they said that there is no ETA on that and no guarantee that my old position opens back up on this team, but they would try and slot me in if it does open up here or on another team.

So my question is, should I push back further on this and let them know that I feel somewhat disrespected? Or should I not rock the boat and see how things play out?
Before reading other responses, here is my reaction.

1. What is your gut feeling? Not just "I don't like this." You know what reputation you have there. For instance, if it had happened to me, I might suspect I was going to be laid off eventually or something, because of company work decreasing, or they wanted someone with a high work ethic & high skill level to get the dept up and running. Because that was my reputation.

BUT then I'd suspect that they might lay me off after the dept is up and running, since they wouldn't need to pay someone my salary for that job, any more.

2. I would worry that my future there is not secure. What is your company's history with layoffs and firing people?

3. They want to lay me off, but they don't want to pay for the unemployment. So they have to offer me a job, and are hoping I'll quit instead of be demoted (although in theory, you can still get unemployment comp if you are demoted).

You have no choice but to take the job. But if it were me, I'd start applying for other jobs. BUT BE AWARE that a recession may be coming. In a recession, if your new company has to lay off workers, they often lay off the latest ones hired. Unless your field of work is different.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:17 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,579,547 times
I say don’t rock the boat and take the job if you need the job. If you can find another job quickly, then I say switch a job.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:38 PM

127 posts, read 143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Before reading other responses, here is my reaction.

1. What is your gut feeling? Not just "I don't like this." You know what reputation you have there. For instance, if it had happened to me, I might suspect I was going to be laid off eventually or something, because of company work decreasing, or they wanted someone with a high work ethic & high skill level to get the dept up and running. Because that was my reputation.

BUT then I'd suspect that they might lay me off after the dept is up and running, since they wouldn't need to pay someone my salary for that job, any more.

2. I would worry that my future there is not secure. What is your company's history with layoffs and firing people?

3. They want to lay me off, but they don't want to pay for the unemployment. So they have to offer me a job, and are hoping I'll quit instead of be demoted (although in theory, you can still get unemployment comp if you are demoted).

You have no choice but to take the job. But if it were me, I'd start applying for other jobs. BUT BE AWARE that a recession may be coming. In a recession, if your new company has to lay off workers, they often lay off the latest ones hired. Unless your field of work is different.
My gut feeling is that no, I will not be laid off any time soon. My main point of complaint is the "why me?" aspect (which sounds somewhat petty, I know). At this stage of my career though and given my record of performance at the company, I don't think it's fair nor productive for me to take on such a role, especially one with no defined endpoint.

If they had said, "hey we just need your help for 3 months and then you're back to your old role", I wouldn't be super happy, but I'd take one for the team knowing that there was SOME kind of plan. Instead I got "well maybe this and maybe that" etc.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:47 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,376,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Unless this is union factory work, they layoff people they feel they can do without and who are expensive. Seniority to be protected is somewhat of a myth in most companies. A friend of mine's supervisor was part of a layoff because they decided to combine the area and reduce the number of managers. The direct reports still work there even though many were hired in the past couple of years. The manager had been there for 10 years.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:50 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,376,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I haven't looked at your other posts but other questions I would have are --

Are you in a protected class?

Are you age 40 or and the oldest member in your group?

Are you a female or in a minority class?

Have you been out of work due to a disability?

Look up federal and state employment regulations to determine whether you are covered.

How does your seniority compare to others in your group?

As another poster mentioned they most probably are trying to get you to quit. If you are in a protected class, they won't change your job title or change your salary but they know it is demoralizing to you since you already expressed your dissatisfaction. If you are in a protected class you should get outside legal counsel. If you can, get a copy of the two job descriptions that show that effectively the job is a demotion.
Also, try to get in writing or make a note that you were told that this is not a "temporary assignment"
Don't fool yourself. If they don't want you there, they will find a way to make it even more uncomfortable to stay. They are experts at it. All the documentation in the world isn't going to prevent or save a job, and you really don't want to work someplace after you hired an attorney and forced them to continue to employ you. Things will never be the same. it is best to find a better place to work.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:11 PM

3,150 posts, read 1,607,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Don't fool yourself. If they don't want you there, they will find a way to make it even more uncomfortable to stay. They are experts at it. All the documentation in the world isn't going to prevent or save a job, and you really don't want to work someplace after you hired an attorney and forced them to continue to employ you. Things will never be the same. it is best to find a better place to work.
1) Any person would be well advised to know their rights.
2) An attorney can lay out options.
3) In can be in a person's best interest to remain employed as they continue to look for another job.
4) Severence can be an effective negotiating tool particularly when done by attorney. I would never allow a company to force me to quit in violation of my rights without a negotiated severance.

You make such absolute statements, I have to assume you do not have requisite experience in these matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment