Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I CAN judge whomever I want to...Geeeeeeeesh!!
Very mature of you!

Point of the post and that one of PP is if you are going to complain about someone's spelling errors, your own post should be spotless as well. Ever heard of people in glass houses not throwing stones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 10:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Very mature of you!

Point of the post and that one of PP is if you are going to complain about someone's spelling errors, your own post should be spotless as well. Ever heard of people in glass houses not throwing stones?

Well, I didn't get the correlation between a guy who works in a warehouse not spelling things correctly on an application and also being a lousy co-worker. What has spelling got to do w/ working in a warehouse? Why would someone in HR equate poor spelling skills w/ whether or not a guy can stack stuff?

Lost me on that one.

Some people are not very literate - may not read/write well, but that doesn't mean he/she would not be capable of doing warehouse work.

Some people are dyslexic, as well . . . they just get letters mixed up.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Gold dust, more on addressing being over-qualified:

I'm now thinking that a major reason people are reluctant to hire an overqualified person, in addition to the things I mentioned above, is that they often have had one bad experience with this type of hire. Then this "horror story" experience colors their decisions about any subsequent overly qualified people.

I posted a question about this on another forum I visit, and so far everyone seems to be coming back with their specific examples of hiring someone who was a bad fit, and happened to be over-qualified. These bad experiences clearly affect hiring managers.

So perhaps knowing this, you can try to "innoculate" for it in the job interviews. Present yourself as humble, not arrogant about your experience. You may have X experience, but you know you always have more to learn. Have examples of "learning something new each day" or examples of when you learned something valuable from a newcomer to your field. Take care to be someone who is very open to learning, and taking direction from others.

Also point out something different about the company and job you are applying for. Something that makes you appreciate what is offered. Have a good reason why taking this job would not be "settling" until something better comes along. Maybe a shift in your personal priorities: like it used to be all about money or advancement, but now with your experience and maturity, you have other values...etc.

Antway, here the link to the other forum I'm on. You'll figure out which one is me.
"Overqualified" and age discrimination - Labor Law Talk

Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
Ok, the correlation with this guy was: Because of his bad hand writing skills, it was pretty hard sometimes to read a number (qty.) he wrote down. When he done the "Receiving" part of his job in the warehouse, he would many times write down the WRONG location where he put the items. I didn't have time to go back into the warehouse and check the locations, so I just put into the computer whatever he had written down on the Receiver form. He was being paid a good salary to do things RIGHT in our warehouse, NOT write down incorrect things many times. I really do think he was dyslexic and if that was the case, he should have never been hired to work in an area where he had to spell words correctly or write down numbers correctly. It was no wonder our inventory cycle counts were off so many times.
Actually, I do like it when a company will give a Literacy Test (as well as a Physical) before hiring.
And, by the way, with the "high technology" of today's warehouses, a person had better know how to read and write VERY WELL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I didn't get the correlation between a guy who works in a warehouse not spelling things correctly on an application and also being a lousy co-worker. What has spelling got to do w/ working in a warehouse? Why would someone in HR equate poor spelling skills w/ whether or not a guy can stack stuff?

Lost me on that one.

Some people are not very literate - may not read/write well, but that doesn't mean he/she would not be capable of doing warehouse work.

Some people are dyslexic, as well . . . they just get letters mixed up.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:35 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Gold dust, more on addressing being over-qualified:

I'm now thinking that a major reason people are reluctant to hire an overqualified person, in addition to the things I mentioned above, is that they often have had one bad experience with this type of hire. Then this "horror story" experience colors their decisions about any subsequent overly qualified people.

I posted a question about this on another forum I visit, and so far everyone seems to be coming back with their specific examples of hiring someone who was a bad fit, and happened to be over-qualified. These bad experiences clearly affect hiring managers.

So perhaps knowing this, you can try to "innoculate" for it in the job interviews. Present yourself as humble, not arrogant about your experience. You may have X experience, but you know you always have more to learn. Have examples of "learning something new each day" or examples of when you learned something valuable from a newcomer to your field. Take care to be someone who is very open to learning, and taking direction from others.

Also point out something different about the company and job you are applying for. Something that makes you appreciate what is offered. Have a good reason why taking this job would not be "settling" until something better comes along. Maybe a shift in your personal priorities: like it used to be all about money or advancement, but now with your experience and maturity, you have other values...etc.

Antway, here the link to the other forum I'm on. You'll figure out which one is me.
"Overqualified" and age discrimination - Labor Law Talk
Thank you so much TracySam! I have some work to do now! I don't think I come across as arrogant, but I do like to talk about all the good things I have done for my previous companies.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Ok, the correlation with this guy was: Because of his bad hand writing skills, it was pretty hard sometimes to read a number (qty.) he wrote down. When he done the "Receiving" part of his job in the warehouse, he would many times write down the WRONG location where he put the items. I didn't have time to go back into the warehouse and check the locations, so I just put into the computer whatever he had written down on the Receiver form. He was being paid a good salary to do things RIGHT in our warehouse, NOT write down incorrect things many times. I really do think he was dyslexic and if that was the case, he should have never been hired to work in an area where he had to spell words correctly or write down numbers correctly. It was no wonder our inventory cycle counts were off so many times.
Actually, I do like it when a company will give a Literacy Test (as well as a Physical) before hiring.
And, by the way, with the "high technology" of today's warehouses, a person had better know how to read and write VERY WELL.
I think literacy tests are a good idea, too. I also like physicals and drug testing.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:42 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think literacy tests are a good idea, too. I also like physicals and drug testing.
Too bad Illegall Immirants are exempt from them!

Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
May I gently point out to Loveboating that there are also grammatical errors, and one of the most common is the misplaced apostrophe, as in "resume's" and "Gardner's," when those are plurals that should not have the apostrophe, and something like "it's" is a contraction for "it is" and therefore should have the apostrophe. Also, random capitalization, like Waitresses, is not correct.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
You are just to PICKY with words, but that's ok. A Literacy Test doesn't have to be given to everyone who applies to a company. But, there are certain positions that should require it in order to "weed out" the people who have problems writing or with basic math. I have taken this test before with absolutely no problems passing it. A Physical will not tell if a person has problems in these two areas (writing/math). If a person is going to work with numbers, as this guy did, he should write clearly and be able to do basic math (of which he had a big problems with both). We finally got our inventory straightened out after he left the company. IMO, the Department supervisor should have never hired him for this warehouse position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
May I gently point out to Loveboating that there are also grammatical errors, and one of the most common is the misplaced apostrophe, as in "resume's" and "Gardner's," when those are plurals that should not have the apostrophe, and something like "it's" is a contraction for "it is" and therefore should have the apostrophe. Also, random capitalization, like Waitresses, is not correct.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
You are just to PICKY with words, but that's ok. A Literacy Test doesn't have to be given to everyone who applies to a company. But, there are certain positions that should require it in order to "weed out" the people who have problems writing or with basic math. I have taken this test before with absolutely no problems passing it. A Physical will not tell if a person has problems in these two areas (writing/math). If a person is going to work with numbers, as this guy did, he should write clearly and be able to do basic math (of which he had a big problems with both). We finally got our inventory straightened out after he left the company. IMO, the Department supervisor should have never hired him for this warehouse position.
Now this makes much more sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search