Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM

17 posts, read 68,518 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had any success in changing careers from a white collar to a blue collar one?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
If you consider working in an office as an Admin Asst white collar and then driving a bus as blue collar, I will let you know as soon as I take the test for a bus driver the end of this month.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM

17 posts, read 68,518 times
Wow! That is a change. I wish you all the luck.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha08 View Post
Wow! That is a change. I wish you all the luck.
Thanks!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
I went from being a bookkeeper at EF Hutton to a union boilermaker working out of a hiring hall, that was in 1970. Worked out well; I made good dough, put my kids through school, made real friends and had fun every day and retired at 55 with a pension paying as well as working 40 hours a week.

If I'd stayed at EF Hutton, who knows? I might'a made a fortune or I might'a ended up in jail. But things worked out fine. And 35 years as a boilermaker gave me ALOT of great stories to tell.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,023,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I went from being a bookkeeper at EF Hutton to a union boilermaker working out of a hiring hall, that was in 1970. Worked out well; I made good dough, put my kids through school, made real friends and had fun every day and retired at 55 with a pension paying as well as working 40 hours a week.

If I'd stayed at EF Hutton, who knows? I might'a made a fortune or I might'a ended up in jail. But things worked out fine. And 35 years as a boilermaker gave me ALOT of great stories to tell.
That's awesome! I bet you are fun to sit and have a beer with.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 24,978 times
Default Hi Sasha

Well, I went from Brick Mason 2 years to US Army 2 years to Loss Prevention Security 1 year. Started school during security. Went to school 2 years for business computer programming and Micro-Computer Technology. Completed but didn't walk. Became a 2nd shift supervisor (no computers involved LOL) in a factory that made buttons (fascinating but salary cap because of location of factory). Sold clothes out of my car and later in the front yard of a busy street to make more money. Then started selling other stuff too. (always been a hustler type). Then tried selling as a job, Water Purification Systems, to Kirby Vacuums, didn't like the scripts.

Decided to go to truck driving school to get out of my environment so that i could change some bad habits.

This what I been looking for! Wow, wish I had done it straight out of school. Been wasting my time as far as being content with a job. But as far as all that I have learned, I guess it would be foolish to regret anything that I have done. I tend to get all that I can from everything that I do so I call it a waste on a superficial level.

Transitioning from one to another is not an issue, don't worry about what the job is classified as. Find out what the description is and see if that matches your desire and your monetary needs.

With trucking, I like to drive, it's a lot of freedom, the money is comparable to most degreed jobs, if I chose I can actually start my own company. Well actually I bought two trucks already at 2 different times. But in trucking you can go deeper than that if you wish in several different directions. I travel the country for free. (actually I get paid to travel the country, hello)

I never learned as much history in school as I do driving across country. Well, I probably just didn't pay attention cause when I asked the teacher how could apply history to my life's future instead of responding like an adult he blew the question off and I was pretty serious.

Anyway. Was curious, what type of work are you thinking about doing and what type of work will you be leaving. Sorry for writing the book.

Later.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 15,175 times
Default Was it hard?

So tell me was it had to jump into another job, like trucking.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 15,175 times
Default Crazy Trucker

I am ready to just toss all to the wind and star anew....would trucking work for me? I have a BA and and MA in Education.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:57 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
I am considering doing this change. More money being a blue collar worker these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment