Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 09:48 AM

77 posts, read 385,628 times

Advertisements

I have been going to many temp agencies and now instead of placing you somewhere they ask you if you want them to send the company your resume. If that is the case, I could of just sent my resume myself. I understand the testing. That I have been doing for years! Even about a year ago the temp agencies would keep calling me even after I gotten I job. It was my mistake by not telling them. But, I am so forgetful now, and you have to call them every week to let them know you still need them or they will not call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:19 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,443,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerritt36 View Post
I have been going to many temp agencies and now instead of placing you somewhere they ask you if you want them to send the company your resume. If that is the case, I could of just sent my resume myself. I understand the testing. That I have been doing for years! Even about a year ago the temp agencies would keep calling me even after I gotten I job. It was my mistake by not telling them. But, I am so forgetful now, and you have to call them every week to let them know you still need them or they will not call.
Yes, they say they "market" you now. And exactly what you said, you can market yourself. There are a lot of threads on here about agencies. Check them out and see the experiences that people have had. My viewpoint is, and I have expressed this in those threads, they say they have jobs that they don't really have in order to get you into their office so they can get their numbers to justify their own jobs. I will never go to a temporary agency again.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
It's a good thing if they call you and ask you if you want them to send your resume to a specific company. It's bad if they blast your resume to 200 companies and don't tell you.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmerritt36 View Post
I have been going to many temp agencies and now instead of placing you somewhere they ask you if you want them to send the company your resume. If that is the case, I could of just sent my resume myself.
They don't offer you any temp jobs now?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 AM

77 posts, read 385,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
They don't offer you any temp jobs now?
Yes, and if you read another thread I just posted you'll see what kind of bind I am in. Maybe, other people have started these threads in the past. But, I can't go through every one to know what's in here. There are so many.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:28 PM

308 posts, read 1,617,625 times
A) Search Function

B) You must have a bad temp agency/agencies. Never had a problem with mine.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:37 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
A) Search Function

B) You must have a bad temp agency/agencies. Never had a problem with mine.
Just because threads already exist doesn't mean the OP can't start a new one. And just because you have never had a problem with your temp agency doesn't mean others don't, proof of the existing threads that are down on them right?

To the OP, I hear you. To me temp agencies are more trouble than what they are worth, just my opinion.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:07 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,357,366 times
"they ask you if you want them to send the company your resume" yeah, that is kind of annoying. I suspect they all do less legwork these days in order to recommend the right "fit" for the position. I think they agencies have the companies trained to accept this. Corporations don't want to staff anyone these days they don't have to. I am shocked they don't outsource their interviewers too.

Seems like the people I interview with barely can spare the time to even discuss/explain the position in the correct manner.

In my field (hopefully soon to NOT be) a majority of positions are advertised through staffing agencies. Which stinks. I feel they are ruining the field.

There are only 2-3 that I trust now. I just had a bad experience with one this week in fact. They called me out of the blue, I didn't even contact them, but turns out they are a subsidiary of the staffing agency I did sign on with. and I am getting near desperate so I went. All around BAD interview. This same agency scr*wed me up 5 years ago when I was unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment