Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:57 PM

67 posts, read 217,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
Do you have a new job to go to, or are you just leaving?

no job lined up. I'm leaving because i'm going to graduate school this fall in another city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessGuy View Post
Advice like this scares me. If it were actually true, we'd all be billionaires and there'd be no one to clean **it up (from Office Space). You cannot be whatever you want to be. The fact that we tell kids this is also one of the reasons why this country has such a big problem with entitlement. A few will get lucky and make it (they will erringly credit their skill as opposed to their luck). Most will not achieve their financial dreams, that's why they're dreams to begin with. I'm not saying you can't improve your odds with hard work, but we need to stop teaching people that hard work is the only or primary reason for success.
I think the "FIRE Economy" is leeching off the boring (yet vital) work done by people who interact with the physical world vs. making money from money itself, which is not sustainable when it's based on perpetual growth.

Those who say and truly mean "I love my job" tend to be doing less than vital things that are only possible because most people drudge along. But one can't fault them for cleverness or ambition, except when it becomes sheer greed.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
Most people will not admit it because they do not want to admit to their self that they are a failure in the world of employment, but most of us work in extremely boring jobs. Doing most things for eight hours plus every single day is really boring.

How do you deal with the boring nature of your job?
Huh? How does "boredom" equate to failure? Who says that work must be exciting or even fun?

Work is what we do to earn money. We can have fun on our own time.

By the way, every job gets boring at some point because we master the skills. Even athletes and rock stars get bored.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
How to deal with boredom? Well, if you're lucky, you have a job where you have many different things going on all at the same time. Get tired of doing one thing? Put it down and do something else.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Learn some new skills.. use your free time at work on Coursera.org

Old 01-10-2014, 08:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post

How do you deal with the boring nature of your job?
The thought of having no money and starving and living out of a cardboard box usually helps me get through it.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The thought of having no money and starving and living out of a cardboard box usually helps me get through it.
That's pretty much the only reason why most of us get up for work.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Find a type of work you like that suits your talents and personality. Lots of people have jobs that don't involve cubicles.

My job isn't boring, I like my work. If I had to sit in front of a computer terminal in a florescent office environment, I'd throw myself out the window by lunchtime.
Please, please, please tell me what path you followed to find a career out of an office? I've been searching now for over ten years, with two career coaches, three life coaches, meet-up groups, people trying to get me to buy into their pyramid schemes, and read a TON of books to no avail. It seems like anything out of an office pays minimum wage.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Please, please, please tell me what path you followed to find a career out of an office? I've been searching now for over ten years, with two career coaches, three life coaches, meet-up groups, people trying to get me to buy into their pyramid schemes, and read a TON of books to no avail. It seems like anything out of an office pays minimum wage.

Who would NOT want an office job? I'm someone who does hard physical labor and possibly will have to do it beyond retirement age when pain is at a maximum. A cushy office job seems like it would be heaven.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:36 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Who would NOT want an office job? I'm someone who does hard physical labor and possibly will have to do it beyond retirement age when pain is at a maximum. A cushy office job seems like it would be heaven.
Um, like I stated above - I'm someone who does not want an office job. I would much rather be very physical through the day and spend less time in the gym trying to counter 8+ hours of a** sitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment