Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:55 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,207,343 times

Advertisements

I know I need to talk to a shrink about this, but for now maybe sharing my situation with others going through something similar might help.
For years my husband supported our family while I stayed home and took care of the house and our child which is what we agreed to while we were dating. Times have changed and so has our financial situation, so finding a job is my job now. If you have read any of my other posts you would know that I have had a few jobs since moving to Ma only eight months ago. Had to leave the first one after only two days because my husband became very ill. The second job lasted one day because my employer changed her mind. The third was in Macys (say no more) which I hated and killed my bad feet and knee and lasted for three days of mind numbing training and two days on the floor. My last one I thought would be great as that is how the employer presented herself about the job and how she treats people which was a total lie (Read "My Boss Lied). So I am faced with starting all over yet again except the problem is I have no idea what I want to do especially being out of the work force and never having had experience with software programs except playing around on the computer. Did not go to college but beauty school instead over 31 years ago. No, I can't do hair anymore do to physical issues and no clientelle anyway. I look at Monster,hotjobs,etc. and have no idea what to answer anymore. I evidently don't like office work especially anything having to do with balancing the books and dealing with insurance companies. I do not want to go back into sales as I do not have the energy anymore to convince people to buy things they want or don't need. I have checked out books about Office Suite,Excel,etc.to get familiar just in case. My personality is one that loves to talk to people, creative, hate being caged in with no sunlight, and need to have as little stress as humanly possible in this day and age. Taking the time to go to college is not possible as we need money now still having a child at home. Has anyone else had trouble their whole lives in finding something they actually would enjoy doing for 40 hours a week? I feel a bit like the runaway bride but replace that with job. What is wrong with me? Why can't I commit to something for any length of time? It's definitley a routine for me that everyone that knows me, especially my family expects. I hate it and want to change but feel stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:34 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
It doesn't really sound like you want to work if you have a pattern of bailing out of jobs quickly. But it looks like you have to work, so keep your head up and keep looking. Maybe look at being a receptionist where you can interacting with people, stay seated, not too much responsibility other than answering phones and greeting people. Or maybe 911 operator. No one will be expecting you to do accounting there!

Are you telling prospective employers about your job hopping? I wouldn't. It makes you look totally unreliable. You can say the "it wasn't a match" line only so much. You have a pattern. It's like you are looking for a reason to quit these jobs as soon as you start. That might be something to look at and think about.

Maybe you could just resale books on Amazon. Buy or find used books and resell them for profit. Or receptionist work where all you do is answer the phone and greet people - oh I said that already. Good luck to you and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,555 times
Default Time to Grow up

Puffle,

Seeking the advice of a professional is only one part of your equation. Your first responsibility is to your family, not yourself. It's not about you - There is a reason it is called "WORK" not fun. Maybe you are used to everything being handed to you? Your job history shows a lack of responsibilty on your part, take your desires out of the picture and do what needs to be done.

1) Look for a job application online, (from any type of employment website) complete it as best you can truth fully and go from business to business in your area offering your services. With gas prices, The closer to your home the better. You will be surprised at what opportunities are out there.

2)Then - no matter what the situation - keep the job.
Your self esteem will improve, you will have money coming in and you also will make new friends.
It is an all around win to your problems.
Taking yourself out of your home, your own problems and in to the world is the best medicine and saves on psychotherapy. Spending your days online can be counterproductive to living.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:30 PM

My resume has worked so far as I have been hired four times in the last eight months and have been on several interviews as well. I have been asked for references once and was hired afterward. Not having worked for so long, over ten years only makes it harder for me to commit being Mom oriented, not business but when I do work, I work at my best capacity. I hate being like this and have to change for my family. At least I haven't been at home crying but out trying on different hats as someone else here stated. Please, has anyone ever been through something similiar that might help?

Old 07-12-2008, 12:36 PM

If I didn't know better I would think this is my brother especially this being your first post. You are right, I have already admitted it. I have found all my jobs online and do not spend my whole day on this site if that is what you think. I don't have a problem getting the job, it's staying that I am having a problem with other than other circumstances. I think part of the problem is feeling that I have to sell myself as everyone else does but inside afraid that I can't deliver once I get going.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,555 times
In truth you asked if anyone else out there has gone thru something similar and I have, so there are others out there like yourself. I'm an older woman and was looking to find myself as well, along with a few of my close girlfriends. My approach was to look for solutions.

When I needed money for my family I went out searching for work, and in one daye gave out 23 resumes. That was how I discovered a new opportunity I had not thought about.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,731,584 times
No one wants to show up everyday for a job they hate. The thing you need to do is find out what you like and are good at, then pursue that type of employment. Since you have no experience in the workforce, you have no idea what kind of thing you'd enjoy. You know what they say....'get a job you love and you'll never work again.'

One good way to narrow down your search is to go to your local community college and go through a work aptitude evaluation. Most community colleges have courses and counselors for just this purpose. Maybe you have talents you've never used and developed that are valuable employment assets. Maybe these talents need development and focus. You can do these things at most community colleges, and the fees for counseling are negligible.

There is a book that's been around for a couple of decades called "What color is your parachute?" which is the bible of career counselors and job seekers. You need to determine where your employment strengths lie and move to the workforce in a position that suits your needs and strengths. Some training may be necessary to get yourself up to speed for employment.

Stop applying for random jobs you don't want and don't like. Find out what you do like and are good at. Get a job of some kind and stick to it, while you develop a career course and get the training you need to succeed in the job market.

There is a place in the sun for everyone. You just need to find yours. Randomness won't work. Get help, get focused, get training.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:58 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,186,476 times
A few ideas, if I may..

Have you considered temporary agenices? They can keep a good worker busy, even if it is just answering a phone or filing....

Do you like children? I mean REALLY like kids? You might check with the school system near you and find out about being an aide in a regular class, or working one on one with a special needs student, as their daily heper. I knew someone that rode the special needs bus to assist students getting on/off, and then was as aide for the special aide teachers.

I also knew a lady that did temporary child care for an agency. She would stay with sick children or ones recovering from surgeries in their own homes, so the parents were able to work.

You might also consider doing respite care for senior citizens. Or light hosekeeping/cooking/errands for home bound elderly.

Have you thought about working at a library. or even a bookstore. I used to work at a library and I loved it! Sometime it was a PITA, but there were lots of great patrons that came in. And I worked at an independent college bookstore and that was fun..usually

Good luck to you...it might take a while to find your niche...think about the things you love and how you might find a job that incorporates these things. (like to cook? how about a place like Williams-Sonoma?) If it something you are passionate about...then it could spill over into a job.

I know how you feel... pushing 50 and I STILL don't know what I want to do when I grow up!!

Old 07-12-2008, 04:20 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times
Go to the last 2-3 pages on this thread You can work from home.
There has been some legal work at Home jobs found. Sign up for one of these job so you'll have some source of income coming in and relieve some of the pressure on finding another.
Here's a list of work at home jobs" (coutesy, CDF members)

Virtual Call Centre Jobs Listing !

Old 07-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks to those of you that were kind enough to respond without attacking me. I think admitting that I have a problem and not blaming anyone but me warrants informative answers not judgmental ones. I do that enough. I just found two books today at B&N called Second Acts by Stephen Pollan and the infamous Do What You Love and The Money Will Follow by Marsha Sinetar which I related much more to. The first applies much better if you have extra savings to pursue your Second Act where the other book runs more along the lines of discovering your passions and finding something that fits and not staying at jobs that you hate and watch the clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment