Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,172,110 times

Advertisements

a friend of mine was offered a job. They really courted and wooed her and it IS a good job. They sent a formal letter outlining everything; ie wages,benefits, moving expenses, start date. They have a moving company talking to her about all that entails. She said when she got all the information today,in writing they then made mention of a background check which also included a credit check
Well nothing in the background is an issue but she doesn't have exemplary credit......but who the heck does in these times? Nothing major-just not really good credit. So she's asking me.....what the heck? She was about to turn in notice to her current employer!!
I told her I would post for her here, as she doesn't come her nor want to join.just no time for it.
Suggestions?
I told her to call HR and ask how important that is. They should have checked such before making all the other efforts to get her and offering the job..IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 AM

81 posts, read 341,906 times
This had me freaked out by my company's HR a month ago when I was in the process of getting hired as well..

I'll just put it this way...If I can pass an employment credit check...then ANYONE can! (and I work for a company that deals with financial institutions!) No bankruptcies or forclosures but just paying (literally now) for some bad choices I've made before....I think theyre looking for the majors..but if it's just a few collections and/or hospital or school loan debt, your friend should be ok!

ETA: When they first told me I was going to be subject to the credit check, I told my recruiter that I had some issues up front. She didnt seem too concerened but didnt tell me what they would be looking for. Again, If my crappy credit can pass than really almost anyone can!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,300,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabunz View Post
This had me freaked out by my company's HR a month ago when I was in the process of getting hired as well..

I'll just put it this way...If I can pass an employment credit check...then ANYONE can! (and I work for a company that deals with financial institutions!) No bankruptcies or forclosures but just paying (literally now) for some bad choices I've made before....I think theyre looking for the majors..but if it's just a few collections and/or hospital or school loan debt, your friend should be ok!

ETA: When they first told me I was going to be subject to the credit check, I told my recruiter that I had some issues up front. She didnt seem too concerened but didnt tell me what they would be looking for. Again, If my crappy credit can pass than really almost anyone can!
I had the same experience, and it was for a job at a financial services place.

I have THE WORST credit.... seriously. I was also upfront with the recruiter and the credit ended up being no problem at all, when I was sure it would be the deal killer.

Actually I killed the deal and didn't take the job (this was over a year ago) when I found out about some of their company policies... kinda funny that they were so crazy picky and I turned them down. They had a creepy culture of totalitarianism though, I just couldn't stomach it.

Anyway, it depends on what, exactly, they're looking for but I wouldn't worry too much... I wouldn't give notice yet though either!!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 AM

348 posts, read 1,361,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
a friend of mine was offered a job. They really courted and wooed her and it IS a good job. They sent a formal letter outlining everything; ie wages,benefits, moving expenses, start date. They have a moving company talking to her about all that entails. She said when she got all the information today,in writing they then made mention of a background check which also included a credit check
Well nothing in the background is an issue but she doesn't have exemplary credit......but who the heck does in these times? Nothing major-just not really good credit. So she's asking me.....what the heck? She was about to turn in notice to her current employer!!
I told her I would post for her here, as she doesn't come her nor want to join.just no time for it.
Suggestions?
I told her to call HR and ask how important that is. They should have checked such before making all the other efforts to get her and offering the job..IMHO.
I think they are getting to be more and more the standard, especially if the job has any financial aspect to it. What kind of position was it?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,080,913 times
Are they looking for people who might embezzle money?
Slack off in your credit/and you are a bad worker?
I don't understand why they do it...

By the way, I have excellent credit...I am just curious.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM

medical field

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
I think they are getting to be more and more the standard, especially if the job has any financial aspect to it. What kind of position was it?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 PM

yea, well apparently our Govt. allows this to happen now. Companies can just not hire you if you don't have good credit.
I guess that makes people low life, thieves or the like
I think it should be considered discrimination.
I've never had a job that required the idiotic check; although I did apply for one once and when they mentioned they did a credit check I told them if my credit worthiness made me a good or bad employee and it was all that mattered to them, they could stick the job where the sun doesn't shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Are they looking for people who might embezzle money?
Slack off in your credit/and you are a bad worker?
I don't understand why they do it...

By the way, I have excellent credit...I am just curious.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 PM

81 posts, read 341,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
yea, well apparently our Govt. allows this to happen now. Companies can just not hire you if you don't have good credit.
I guess that makes people low life, thieves or the like
I think it should be considered discrimination.
I've never had a job that required the idiotic check; although I did apply for one once and when they mentioned they did a credit check I told them if my credit worthiness made me a good or bad employee and it was all that mattered to them, they could stick the job where the sun doesn't shine.

LOLOL! Actually what I told my recruiter was that I did have a couple "issues" and that it, it no way reflects on my ability as an employee... (thats all I could come up with at the time but honestly I meant it! )

I dont think it should matter either but I can kinda understand why they would not want someone who has repeated bankruptcies, embezlements or whatever serious like that to be an employee...especially those jobs that do something with the financial field. But those that have nothing to do with...it's completely unnecessary! (imho)

Old 10-24-2008, 01:34 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,831 times
I have beautiful credit, please employers check my credit.

But a lot of people have had stuff happen and that screws up their credit scores. I don't see how making it more difficult for them to get jobs is helping any.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM

certainly it can't help someone recover from bad times, illness induced bills, lots of things can contribute; but everyone who wants to can and should be able to work as I can't see how that makes them low class folk.
BTW, cool that your credit is excellent but if everyone would raise holy hell and not allow such tactics then perhaps this non-sense would cease?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
I have beautiful credit, please employers check my credit.

But a lot of people have had stuff happen and that screws up their credit scores. I don't see how making it more difficult for them to get jobs is helping any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment